• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dune Runner Short Course Conversion

Mad-Max_SE

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and I have a couple questions about my new Dune Runner 4x4 I just picked up. I was originally going to get a Rovan/King/HPI Baja 5T/SC because I just really love the scale look of the 1/5 scale short course trucks when they're barreling along and in the air. The only thing that I didn't like about them was the way they seemed to handle in just about all the videos I watched. For reference, I started out with a T-Maxx way back in the day, a Savage (when they first came out) and a couple 1/8 scale buggies (Ofna Ultra LX Pro and a Kyosho MP 7.5) and sold them all a few years back, so my entire RC repertoire has been 4WD.

I did see the King T2000, which was intriguing until I heard/read about all the issues with the front suspension and chassis failures, and the Losi was just out of my price range to get back into the hobby. I watched a few videos with the Dune Runner and was pretty much hooked, but now I have a few questions:

1) I'm pretty sure I saw a couple pictures of a Dune Runner with a short course body, but I have not been able to figure out how they handled the mounting.

2) Are there any legitimate/workable bumper options out there for the Dune Runner (like for the V3 MT or something?)

3) Does anyone have both a Baja & Dune Runner? Any way you could post a picture of the differences in the chassis rails? I only ask because the Dune Runner look extremely similar to the Baja and wanted to see if any of the Baja 5t conversion parts might be usable.

Thanks for the help!

Mad-Max_SE

I went by my local hobby shop and they actually had a new V3 Rampage MT and Dune Runner there. Comparing them side-by-side, the front bumper from the MT will work if you use the MT front shock tower (which also gives an easy way to mount posts for a truck body). The only difference is the shock mounting position, which, by the way, is the only reason there's a difference in the front inner-upper arms. So you could potentially use the stock inner-uppers or use the MT inner-upper arms for more strength. :cool:

I also noticed that the main Dune Runner roll bar is virtually identical to the HPI (meaning it fits) which got me thinking tonight that there is probably a very good chance you could use an HPI/Rovan/King Short Course rear bumper conversion (SEEN HERE For $33), even if it doesn't directly bolt on, it definitely appears to be very close. ;) I'm almost willing to get an aluminum version (SEEN HERE for $83) since I could heat/bend the metal or add/weld any additional/needed tabs.

The only thing on the table now is the side nerf bars and body mounts, and hopefully a buddy of mine at the shop can bring his 5SC tomorrow so I can take a look at that side of things. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

The DR chassis is wider that the Baja making body options minimal.Even Baja windows are too narrow for the cage

I don't know about SCT bodies but would imagine that it could be done with some creative positioning of mounting posts

A far as Baja parts fitting - apart from motors I don't think anything else is interchangeable

I wish they were as it would make life heaps easier for me when needing parts

Mad-Max_SE

Phill said:
The DR chassis is wider that the Baja making body options minimal.Even Baja windows are too narrow for the cageI don't know about SCT bodies but would imagine that it could be done with some creative positioning of mounting posts

A far as Baja parts fitting - apart from motors I don't think anything else is interchangeable

I wish they were as it would make life heaps easier for me when needing parts
Yeah, I'm not interested in a different buggy body. As for the Short Course bodies, I'm going to take some measurements when I get some 5T wheels and adapters. If I need to go with a wider body, I'll probably go with a Woodster, otherwise I'm probably going to go with a Rovan (since they're "cheap" compared to the HPI bodies).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts