• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dune runner or xb opinions?

scooby61

OK I've got my first red cat it's the Mt v3 and am impressed with the truck so far it's tough and fun and once I worked out a few out of the box bugs it's running like a champ. So that being said I find myself wanting a buggy. Don't really want a tt since it's just an Mt with smaller tires. Looking at the dune runner and xb. The dune is made by the same 3rd party as the Mt and looks like it has similar design characteristics. The xb I know needs a new gear plate and gears out of the box and probably 7075 rc hubs soon after. So if anyone with experience with both or either of these would chime in with your experiences and recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Ice_2k

I bought the dunerunner a few months ago and I'm more than happy with it. I can't really make a comparison to the xb because I never used one, but the DR seems to be the tougher one, more aluminium stock and so on. It also comes with the 32cc, the xb has the older 30.5cc.

scooby61

Thanks, I guess my hold off on the Dr is the sand rail look but I'll only be racing it around my friends private track so fitting it into a race class is not important. Let's see what a few more say before I buy. But yes the Dr does look better built.

Ice_2k

I changed its look a bit by adding tarmac tires:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice_2k

For the tires or in general?

Ice_2k

Dune runner or xb opinions?

The one thing that is utter crap out of the box are the brakes, it wouldn't stop if its life depended on it. However, the problem is not with the brakes themselves but with the little spring that the servo compresses in order to apply force on the brakes. Thankfully this is easily fixed by using 2 interlocked springs or a piece of fuel tubing. I can show you some pictures how I've done it and it's now locking all 4 tires even at full speed.

Another thing is that you should consider getting a killswitch immediately to avoid surprises. And also, I'm about to upgrade to a better radio, the stock one has quite poor range. Other than that, all I did to the car were upgrades that I did because I wanted them, I could have done without them just as well.

For protection I did baja 2-stage air filter, outerwears for air filter, flywheel and pull starter, rubber shock covers, grease-filled drive cup boots.

On the performance side I went with the JetPro rear mount and an 8k clutch and this thing is now a monster, it's drifting like crazy on tarmac using tarmac tires. I also added a vented clutch housing because I do a lot of tarmac running and it helps cool the clutch down.

Oh, and you need to consider a tank venting mod. The stock gas tank cap has a little hole for this but it will get covered by dirt pretty fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

xboxice

WOW,your runner look very nice,has anyone converted these to brushless?

Ice_2k

xboxice said:
WOW,your runner look very nice,has anyone converted these to brushless?
Thanks! :) I don't recall seeing an electric Dunerunner conversion. Just curious, why do you want to do that? Are you restricted on noise? I feel like it takes away from the realism of it :)

andyken

I like my XB, after upgrades.

Hub adapters [stock wheels suck]

All new bearings and carriers , MT gear plate, belt drive, jetpro rear pipe.

Only weak spot now seems to be the rear diff, the pinion [bearing?] fails and rips it up.

Not sure if I will do ANOTHER stock diff, or go with a 7075rc.

rcgasser

andyken said:
I like my XB, after upgrades.Hub adapters [stock wheels suck]

Only weak spot now seems to be the rear diff, the pinion [bearing?] fails and rips it up.

Go with the 7075rc save yourself alot of headache I had to do 2 diffs rebuild and the 3 time went with the 7075rc I was mad that it took me so long to do that should have done it at first.

scooby61

andyken said:
I like my XB, after upgrades.Hub adapters [stock wheels suck]

Sounds like I can do a DR and pipe for 750.00 or spend 1000.00+ on an xb. May as well build an mcd for that.

RampageHopUps

These are worse case scenarios for the XB. Alot of people have fun with it just by getting new high quality bearings and a can. It all depends on how much you want to torture it.

Any MCD will be closer to $2500 when you do all the same mods.

scooby61

RampageHopUps said:
These are worse case scenarios for the XB. Alot of people have fun with it just by getting new high quality bearings and a can. It all depends on how much you want to torture it.Any MCD will be closer to $2500 when you do all the same mods.
Does the xb come with steel gears now at least

scooby61

And in your opinion which would you buy? A friend I run with has an rrv4 and I want something that maybe with a few upgrades will at least make a good show of keeping up.

RampageHopUps

If your friend has a track capable MCD, then ask him how much it cost to get there and compare it to a $500 XB.Reliability costs money, how reliable do you want it to be?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.