• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

DR Monster

Hi guys, I’ve noticed that I have unwittingly hijacked a number of people’s threads when talking about 46 cc motors and plastic printing and thought that I would start a thread on the current project so that people can either read or disregard.

I have started down the track of building vehicles using the MT wheels because, whilst they are unbalanced and not precise in there steering and heavy as hell, they will glide over everything and look so cool.

I put a set of MT wheel and tyres on a HPI Baja with a team chase cage and loved the way it looked, the speed it had and the fact that I tended to driver over competitors rather than bother to navigate around them. (which suits my driving skill level)

However its 2 wheel drive and not a rampage.

I love the rampage format. It’s the most universal platform that I have worked with. It’s like technical lego for grownups and almost snaps together.

With this in mind I started to build a rampage DR Monster.

Again the first addition was the MT wheels and tyres and a team chase cage, fitted using some 3D printed plastic parts to hold the sides and the rear on.

The problem is that in comparison to the HPI Monster the DR Monster was as slow as hell.

I have read a number of threads on here about guys who opted for the 46 cc Cy and decided to do the same.

I’m now in the process of designing the gear plate to accept the clutch bell and hopefully use the RCDAD belt drive.

I’ve not got too far just yet but I thought that I might share what ive done to date. As many of you know, the longest time is spent measuring up parts and ensuring that it will all go together.

My biggest problem is the tension wheel and the fact that this is to be made from a piece of 30mm aluminium and will weigh a tonne but it’s the simplest way of producing what I need and as I’m going to be the machinist, simple is best.

Also worried about the bearings that I have selected i/d 15 o/d21 w 4 (see sectional view)

I will scan in the motor and model as I’m also a little worried about the clearance for the driveshaft under the motor.

Have any of you guys got any advice on the clearance and even the exhaust???

G

blueeyedboy100 said:
Am I wasting my time with the 46 cc. its only $300??
In stock form I wouldn't want it. If you can get it worked over then maybe. I believe RCMax is going to start producing a either a 46cc or 48cc in the future. Might be a better option.

bermodel

I finished making all serving pieces to put on DuneRunner CY460, I think that with the power and torque of the drive belt CY460 can have some durability issues.

Now I have to finish to enhance the engine and after I put everything on DuneRunner.

With regard to the exhaust depends on what you want to have by the engine, for a motor that drives suffered with so much torque but takes a few RPM can also use the original exhaust, so the engine will also be very silent.

If you want a very powerful engine that takes many RPM should install a discharge expansion taking into account the data of the engine to achieve the right exhaust.

DR Monster

Bermodel. Your thread was the inspiration. I am confident in the manufacture and in many of the aspects of the design but clearly I do not have the knowledge for porting and exhaust design. Did you get your 46 cc roping up the grass?

I am worried that I should have spent my $300 on a more standard motor and tuned it. What are your thoughts. Can you offer any guidance?

rampagemt

Re: DR Monster

RCDAD said:
In stock form I wouldn't want it. If you can get it worked over then maybe. I believe RCMax is going to start producing a either a 46cc or 48cc in the future. Might be a better option.
I would do one of those if they Come out!

bermodel

blueeyedboy100 said:
Bermodel. Your thread was the inspiration. I am confident in the manufacture and in many of the aspects of the design but clearly I do not have the knowledge for porting and exhaust design. Did you get your 46 cc roping up the grass? I am worried that I should have spent my $300 on a more standard motor and tuned it. What are your thoughts. Can you offer any guidance?
I ask again sorry ... I do not understand what you ask me.

I'll help you gladly.

DR Monster

Just that I am doing the build because I read your build. I want to be able to port te head and build the exhaust like you did but I don't know how. Are you able to help me?

bermodel

blueeyedboy100 said:
Just that I am doing the build because I read your build. I want to be able to port te head and build the exhaust like you did but I don't know how. Are you able to help me?
you want to help to make the exhaust?

want an exhaust expansion to have a powerful engine?

bermodel

blueeyedboy100 said:
Did you get yours going well?
unloading the component that is realizable for last, to get the maximum performance from an engine exhaust must be designed with the characteristics of the engine on which will be installed.

I use the GP460 on the DuneRunner and curves of the exhaust are different from the MT, when I finished my discharge I can try to make one for you.

bermodel

this is the project of the exhaust

this is the development of taper

and after cutting the sheets, made the curves and TIG welded all this is the end result.

rampagemt

Re: DR Monster

Wow that don't even look like a dune runner. You got a lot of talent and somehow make time haha

bermodel

rampagemt said:
Wow that don't even look like a dune runner. You got a lot of talent and somehow make time haha
this is not a DuneRunner, is a my prototype with the frame entirely of carbon fiber, the arrangement of the engine as is that of the MT :D

G

MTune Runner..... :D

Mid engine Dune Runner. I guess wheelies are out of the question. :( LOL

G

rampagemt said:
Hey rcdad didn't you have the 36cc in your mt? I wanna know what that's like with the big ol tires
Still needs to be broken in:eek: Then to Flowsystem for some pipe work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts