• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dog bones and shocks

Gas Jocky

My pal had a shock fail today, I don't think it's the trucks fault though, it's the fact that he drives it like he stole it! We managed to fix it in the field with a spare 5b front shock shaft. It's longer than the rampages so I added a rubber hose to the shaft and a couple washers on top of the piston to make it work and it performed just fine. Of coarse it's a temp fix till he can get new shafts. The one problem we both had today was dog bone pins coming out, one on my rear and one on his front almost at the same time. These trucks have been run only twice so far, about 6 tanks worth. I fixed mine with a spare 5b wheel hub pin but don't know how long before it comes out. Anybody else had this problem yet?

shocksram002-1.jpg

shocksram003.jpg

shocksram004.jpg

shocksram005.jpg

Gas Jocky

Hey Rob how hard would the metal be on the dogbone, could you drill and tap it and put a grub screw in?

RampageHopUps

OK, you can drill and tap it, but its not easy. Getting the hole centered in hard material isn't easy. I can do it on my lathe, but not with a hand drill. You have to grind a flat spot first, then use a center drill, a tap drill, then the tap.

MOfroggy

Some vendor is working on better dog bones right?

Rob, do you think the factory will fix this problem sometime in the future?

MOfroggy

RampageHopUps

Yes, Phatdad is working on better Dogbones. MCD dogbones fit fine. I ahven't done enough research to see if MCD guys are breaking theirs under extreme power.

The Redcat factory has been aware of the pin problem for a few weeks now. They will have a fix for it. Same problem HPI had in the first weeks also. Just a matter of reaming the holes instead of drilling them.

RampageHopUps

It would be better to use red or green loctite. Loctite 609 is preferred for this type of joint. The CA glue is not capable of withstanding a shear joint.

Shiny

Agree with Rob.

If you can drill them and use grab screw it will be munch better. Don’t forget the locktite on the screw.

Gas Jocky

Gas Jocky

Member Join Date: Jul 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tapped the pins out and lightly abrazed the pin with a dremel (or a file would work )then applied red lock tite and tapped back in place. They haven't budged since.

mooman007uk

Banned
I tried tapping mine out but they seem to be in pretty tight cos they wont budge with what i'd deem a hard enough hit to move them. I've not had a chance to run more than 1/2 tank though so knowing my luck they'll all drop out when i get more run time...had another 6" snow last night:mad:

I just noticed on the picture of the mcd shafts the pins are out of phase!

I've run into phasing in the past whilst building full size lifted vehicles and having to make up driveshafts. Running out of phase will cause problems with cup and axle turning at different speeds, cup and pin is a simple carden joint which upon deflection runs in a eclipse and not a circle so it speeds up and slows down...both ends of the driveshaft should be running the same speed or your gonna get vibration and load up driveline parts. Maybe that's why alot of mcds seem to chew diffs and break axles...

Last edited by a moderator:

pipeous

I busted punches, sockets, and such getting a couple out. put a drill bit through my thumb trying to drill the end and tap it. I found using screwdriver inserts (torx worked well) to punch them out. I put the dogbone on a socket... best to use a good socket as I shattered a 3/8 drive and 1/2 inch worked better, and clamp the other end... ya I had one fly across the shop as I was using a big arse hammer after the smaller one couldn't get them out... good old eastwing... like hellya, I use jb kwik

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts