• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Differentials

therealrsr

Why is there only a single set of spider gears in the differential? Is the design such that a cross bar and another set will not fit?

Also, I have looked over the manual a couple times looking for the bar and spider part numbers in anticipation of adding them if possible, and I can not find them. The Diff. Gear Assembly picture does not list the part numbers either, which is odd given the other pictures are marked with part numbers.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

alfred e numan

diffs

yes, i have wondered the same thing. its been a while since i have worked on the diffs. I will eye ball these spare unassembled diffs and see for myself if double spyder assembly can actually be used. just a educated guesss- the added drag from double spyders could make the diff act more like a clutchless posi. not because of design, because of the added drag- silicone in the diff assembly. just a alfred guess--

therealrsr

Understood, I thought that might be the case. At the price of the rail no complaints here.

And it is listed in the manual, it just comes as a front/rear set with spiders/outs/crossbars/shims/setpins/orings and I was looking for a pic of just the spider or crossbar. I had printed the pdf and pretty small/hard to read. Good news is ordering 1 for a mere $20 on LSRC will provide the needed parts for both with rebuild parts. Score! Just wish I had noticed this when ordering yesterday, doh. http://www.largescalerc.com/50067-frontreardiffgearset-1.aspx

Alfred, true it may add some drag but not sure if anything noticeable at this scale and power. If you would like positrac stuff some silly putty in there, seriously. It will still give a bit and hopefully give some protection to the cvd shafts/cups/etc., but only on extreme hits like landing wot on a single tire. I would stay away from a true locker here. FYI, I only do this on my crawlers so not recommending, actually discouraging, heavy dif fluid would be better imo.

My interest is intended to assure a lasting proper mesh and hopefully longer dif life. I like a loose front for steering and tight rear for traction (that sounds naughty:cool:) so the front high action diff is the most likely to eat itself in my experience given my preference.

RockinAndRollin

I packed outer diff with grease there didn't seem like much grease was on gears from the factory. I can tell that there has been allot of drag by doing this by the run I had the other day. Can I leave them pack or should I remove some and lightly coat the gears. Removing the front diff is a real pain on the chimera BTW.

therealrsr

Give it a couple more runs before changing, I'll bet they loosen up for you. Also, wiggle the dog bone drive shafts to the center to make sure neither bound up on rebuild.

RockinAndRollin

They seem to be working good time will tell I even sealed these puppies with blue rtv hopefully it will keep some of the dirt out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts