• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Diff cups from the factory

RampageHopUps

The latest batch of diff cups are in at Redcat now. These are the large diameter pins.

I also talked with Redcat today and we sent an e-mail to the factory about the hardness. I grabbed about 10 sets and I will have one of the gear engineers at the day job figure it out. I should have an answer next week.

kg2mb

Awesome rob,youll post here when they are available?

basher

clubbin whats the theory behind that? i'm kinda lost on that that one. i'm thinkin that it's just poor quality. i still have my stock 5b diff cups. and i've run motors from the fuelee 23 to a ESP TS 30 with out breaking my 5b diff cups, no problems at all with the same heavy grease. hell, i could be wrong, just curious bout the reason why the heavier oil will cause more of a strainous force on the diff cups.

str8jailbird

Clubin said:
THat is a good thing Rob, I think the failure's have more to do with thick diff oil than they with a hardening issue.
No, I hate to say it ,it doesn't. I never ran that stock goop they called diff oil. Before even breaking it in I did the complete tear down and that was the first thing I noticed. I just used the 1000 weight that came with my Baja 5B SS. The 1000 weight is very thin and almost like water compared to the stuff the Ramp came with.

Clubin

Banned
str8jailbird said:
No, I hate to say it ,it doesn't.
Are you questioning me?

The stock oil that came in mine was crystall clear and VERY thick, I dumped that stuff out and ran 7k rear and 3k front.

I have 2 spare diff's built "upgraded ones" I will surely need them once the snow is all gone.

Guy's these diff's are cheap to build and are very good compared to the MCD diff's.

yolonda21

Contributor
Hopefully the factory totally redesigns these diffs and uses better quality steel/metals to fix this problem for good.....since the quick fix didnt work. I think everyone will gladly pay top dollar for a good fix. These trucks will distroy the competition once they get a diff fix... :confused:

basher

HUH, are u saying that you've broken an MCD diff cup b4? i know that it's possible but i have'nt yet. even with my elcon cluthe set high as hell. it shoots off like a bat out of hell, n still haven't broken one . Any way they're called just parts bcuz they r going 2 break. some just happen to made better then others. by the way all of my cars have AUTOZONE Valvoline black graese in em. where'd u get those cups made clubbin. i might need to look into gettin some.

mooman007uk

Banned
the one i just broke gives a clue, you'll see in the pics the way the crack runs..this was in the left side...this one didn't break from throttle on but a sudden stop ...i remember the day before a rock got jammed in the wheel and locked that wheel up hard enough to spin the truck round and is was going pretty quick(throttle on landings will do it also)every one I've broke the wheel concerned took a smack and a sudden stop and then broke the next time out.

I just put in 50000 in the rear this time but don't think that's the cause...sorry clubin....with 50000 the resistance in the diff is not much even with 120000 it was easy to spin one wheel.

It's good news that Rob is working on this as it'll get sorted for us.

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00288.jpg

Clubin

Banned
basher, this is the way the MCD diff's blow, and I have blown a few.

MCDMTNov034.jpg

MCDMTNov039.jpg

^^Expensive fix^^

I would like to see the output shaft and side gear splined simular to the way the FG is.

yolonda21

Contributor
Splined shafts made with these poor quality metals wouldnt hold up either.... :cool:

basher

must say i've had much better luck than u've had. thought u meant the outdrive diff cups. i got yet to break those on my mcd. any way hopefully the factory gets it right this time.

str8jailbird

Clubin said:
Are you questioning me?
The stock oil that came in mine was crystall clear and VERY thick, I dumped that stuff out and ran 7k rear and 3k front.

I have 2 spare diff's built "upgraded ones" I will surely need them once the snow is all gone.

Guy's these diff's are cheap to build and are very good compared to the MCD diff's.
No I am not questioning you I am flat out saying it isn;t the oil, lol. I NEVER ran the stock diff fiuld, I am running a very light fluid from day #1 so that is in no way why mine failed. I am sure it doesn't help but since I have been running my HPI 1000 wt diff oil I have still had failures and that (HPI) fluid is tons thinner than that the stock Ramps come with. It may contribut but is not the culprit.

speedyd

Banned
i think we need to quite busting darrin and robs balls over this, they are not the factory. all of these chinese cars have "issues",and unfortunetly its up to us or aftermarket to make these stronger. i am sure that rob and darrin are both doing averything they can to solve this too. you must admit that most of us are putting far more power in these things than what is designed. another question is this how hard are you driving your car?lots of airtime? these things have no slipper in them at all. all of the force are absorbed by the driveline.

i agree with clubin, ive played with the other chinese cars. these things are better than just about everything else.i heard a rumour of a guy with a new mcd ultimate monster truck exploding a diff within 5 min of being test, and that is a 2500.00 truck.we should be thankful that somebody is trying to improve this for us.

Piranha2

Contributor
UH-OH.....these come with dif fluid stock? When mine failed, there was a smidge of grease on the gears but absolutely NO fluid.....Hmm....."Houston, we may have a problem"

Clubin

Banned
speedyd said:
i think we need to quite busting darrin and robs balls over this, they are not the factory. all of these chinese cars have "issues",and unfortunetly its up to us or aftermarket to make these stronger. i am sure that rob and darrin are both doing averything they can to solve this too. you must admit that most of us are putting far more power in these things than what is designed. another question is this how hard are you driving your car?lots of airtime? these things have no slipper in them at all. all of the force are absorbed by the driveline.
i agree with clubin, ive played with the other chinese cars. these things are better than just about everything else.i heard a rumour of a guy with a new mcd ultimate monster truck exploding a diff within 5 min of being test, and that is a 2500.00 truck.we should be thankful that somebody is trying to improve this for us.
Thank's speedy.
You too know first hand how bad the MCD diff's are, and $220.00 us won't get you up and going again.

I thought I was the only one that wanted this bashing to stop.

kryptonite

speedyd said:
i Think We Need To Quite Busting Darrin And Robs Balls Over This, They Are Not The Factory. All Of These Chinese Cars Have "issues",and Unfortunetly Its Up To Us Or Aftermarket To Make These Stronger. I Am Sure That Rob And Darrin Are Both Doing Averything They Can To Solve This Too. You Must Admit That Most Of Us Are Putting Far More Power In These Things Than What Is Designed. Another Question Is This How Hard Are You Driving Your Car?lots Of Airtime? These Things Have No Slipper In Them At All. All Of The Force Are Absorbed By The Driveline.
I Agree With Clubin, Ive Played With The Other Chinese Cars. These Things Are Better Than Just About Everything Else.i Heard A Rumour Of A Guy With A New Mcd Ultimate Monster Truck Exploding A Diff Within 5 Min Of Being Test, And That Is A 2500.00 Truck.we Should Be Thankful That Somebody Is Trying To Improve This For Us.
clubin said:
thank's Speedy.
You Too Know First Hand How Bad The Mcd Diff's Are, And $220.00 Us Won't Get You Up And Going Again.

I Thought I Was The Only One That Wanted This Bashing To Stop.
I Agree Too! Enough With The Bashing.. Well Writen Speedy/clubin..

C.B.

if everyone is bashing redcats diffs that will drive newbs away and we need more people to buy so there will be more aftermarket interest

soooo....i agree with the bash stoppage

speedyd

Banned
thanks guys, i put a stock one in to hold me over until my hardened ones arrive. i also went out and grabbed a +2mm crank today, making my engine a 30.5. i beat that truck stupid! full tank run, broken up over 3 runs.problems? ZERO! the diff fluid improved my trucks handling greatly! thanks clubin your advise is always greatly appreciated!(isnt it funny if this were an 1/8 scale that would be the first place you would look, but since these things are big we overlook the basics?)lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts