• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Did they change the material on the bodies?

DemonRC

I just got my new clear MT body in today and went to cutting it to make my stadium truck like Kryp's. I didn't bother with the lexan scissors cause they would crack the hell outta my old TT body with every corner so I used a dremel. Just for shits and grins I wanted to take some of the scrap pieces and try a bend test to see how easy it breaks. I wanted to see how a stock piece is compared to a piece reinforced with 2 layers of fiberglass. Low and behold I couldn't break the piece I cut off the front bumper. I had to bend it 15 times back and forth before I could tear it by hand. So I cut a similar piece off my TT shell (never been run) and it snapped on the first bend. No way that's the same material.

soooo... it sure looks and feels like lexan but is it?

kryptonite

thats a good question. my first 2 shells didnt last long at all, but the shell i want to get rid of just wont break enough to warrant being garbage. my truggy shell has the stock paint and its still holding up just fine with small cracks here and there. i would still lay down some model glue in the corners to help it out. the sho goo distorts the color so i used liquid weld from lowes. its like clear modeling glue.. so did you get it painted and mounted yet?

roccos_van

When my V2 MT showed up the first thing I did was check out the body as everyone said it was crap but I thought it felt pretty good, thick and strong. So far so good?

laganm21

My Mt shell cracked where the back post come trought and on the side where the gear plate is, all this happen on the first roll over and i was i VERY soft roll over,the body was a week old, this sucks because i took time to paint and make it look good now its junk, i hope they did fix this problem but if your new one does not work what body would you get that still a truck, i love the look of the MT shell

looker2756

Contributor
I noticed that a few months ago. The original bodies were made from a PC ( poly carbonate ) material. The new ones feel more like a plastic type material. Best way I can describe them is, they feel like old ketchup bottles. They are way better about Not breaking & cracking.

DemonRC

I took some 1/16" lexan I have laying around and did the bending test on it. It feels like the same material. I even lit it on fire and it looks and smelled the same..... and ya I like burning stuff... so what :)

Anyways, I'm going to use dye in my resin and undercoat the body with 2 layers of fiberglass. Prolly 3 layers around the roof area and rear bumper. Since I'm fiberglassing it on the inside I don't think I'll do any airbrushing. The paint will probably make the fiberglass seperate from the body on the first stress it encounters. I'll get some pics up when it's done. It'll probably just be black.

kryptonite

laganm21 said:
My Mt shell cracked where the back post come trought and on the side where the gear plate is, all this happen on the first roll over and i was i VERY soft roll over,the body was a week old, this sucks because i took time to paint and make it look good now its junk, i hope they did fix this problem but if your new one does not work what body would you get that still a truck, i love the look of the MT shell
did you drop the body posts down? that will help since it can rest on the roll cage to support rear end some..

and its only toxic if you inhale..

DemonRC

forist said:
Have any of u tried white truck bed liner coating that u can in the spray can i think that may work very well.
That's a good idea if it's not too heavy. I'm going to look into that tommorrow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts