• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Current Favoured motor options with Stock ESC & 6S

ninjagaiden

Folks,

First post here on the forum! I'm from the UK. I have a Losi 5T as well but got a used XB-E for bashing in the local park where the gas engines are too noisy and antosocial. Basically I would like a little more top end out of it whilst keeping costs down. This means trying to keep the HW 150A ESC and my existing pair of 6s 5000MaH zippys that I run in parallel. I want a nice stable system wth temps in the 150's offroad - not looking for huge Vmax on speed runs or anything like that.

I've been through the posts working out favoured options, but most of you guys are running 8S and/or castle XL2s. The reports on running the castle 2200 seem interesting, but it seems the kV is a little too high.

I am about to order a Leopard 4074 1400kV motor. Way I see it this is a good swapout for the stock motor. Bit more top end speed, 4 pole Y wound motor, alu can and reasonable amp draw. Should even fit the stock mount and the stock gearing would be about right.

I'd be grateful on reports of stable systems running on 6S with stock ESC.

Cheers

N

BoukeG

Hi Ninja,

I'm looking into the same thing here... I've been reading many posts:

- CC1717 - discontinued

- CC1520 - discontinued

- Leopard 5692 1340Kv - some report succesfull, some report heat problems

- This T5692 Turnigy Pro 1000Kv seem very succesfull, but in an infinite backorder 'loop'

- This Fightercat TP Power Pro Competition is also nice I think, but don't know the price - nor I can find any test results.

My feeling the 4074 is a bit too light - but I'm looking forward to your test results!

Cheers,

Bouke

ninjagaiden

Bouke

These are the alternatives to the Castle motors discussed, assuming you want to hit the sweet spot of around 1400kv for 6S

Castle 1515 1Y 2200kV, 120A 25.2V, 4075

Castle 1520 1Y 1600kV, 120A 25.2V, 4088

Castle 1717 1580kV, 120A 25.2V, 4685

Leopard 4074 3Y 1400kV, 80A 35V, 4074

Leopard 4082 2Y 1600kV, 120A 33V, 4082

Sirius 1717 1580kV, 120A 25.2V, 4685

I'm sure I've seen reports on here of a Castle 1520 being used without problems at 6S with HW ESC. The slightly shorter rotor of the Leopard 4082 equivalent should help keep temps down. Maybe this might be a better option?

G

If its too much longer, I just might have to try something else while Im waiting.

bigblkblazin

None of those motors work well except the tp knock offs but What you get in power you lose with efficiency . The more heat you feel from the motor the more juice you are wasting. I use 20c batteries and get 25 minute drifting it's ass off. Kershaws mount seems like a bad word here but it solves 2 problems. 1 you can put a cc 2028 in and never have a motor problem again. 2 the mount is also a 3 mm front brace so bending drive shafts will never happen ever again. The 2028 works on 6s .use a 14 tooth pinion and you win. You don't have to burn up valuable electronics with high amp spikes. All the money I spent on leopards and other junk I could have bought the cc motor and had money to spare.

WAY

bigblkblazin said:
None of those motors work well except the tp knock offs but What you get in power you lose with efficiency . The more heat you feel from the motor the more juice you are wasting. I use 20c batteries and get 25 minute drifting it's ass off. Kershaws mount seems like a bad word here but it solves 2 problems. 1 you can put a cc 2028 in and never have a motor problem again. 2 the mount is also a 3 mm front brace so bending drive shafts will never happen ever again. The 2028 works on 6s .use a 14 tooth pinion and you win. You don't have to burn up valuable electronics with high amp spikes. All the money I spent on leopards and other junk I could have bought the cc motor and had money to spare.
I am assuming that you will need the XL2 to run 2028 though?

krashkrieg

Contributor
BoukeG said:
Hi Ninja,I'm looking into the same thing here... I've been reading many posts:

- Leopard 5692 1340Kv - some report successful, some report heat problems

Cheers,

Bouke
Not sure what users reported heat issues but if they were having issues it would be due to improper gearing. I am running 11/48 and have yet to see heat issues even running Rears all around.

bigblkblazin

Imagine running for 25 minutes vs 15 minute . The power is just amazing . hw esc is good for the 2028. but 8s will call you . do not buy the 4074.

Last edited by a moderator:

WAY

bigblkblazin said:
Imagine running for 25 minutes vs 15 minute . The power is just amazing . hw esc is good for the 2028. but 8s will call you . do not buy the 4074.
You have running videos of the 2028? What gearing? I have XL2/2028 on my Baja and 5ive, and I just can't imagine running the same set up on the Redcat!

DUFFY

I run the 5692 1340 kv and geared a stupid high 16-48 and it works fine. With the fan i added its well with in temp range. Its all about gearing and setting the esc. My motor is a d wind meaning its more comfortable in high rpm lower load applications. The 5692 or the castle 2020 should work. The 1340 kv leopard is in fact a 6s motor, its max operating voltage is 29 volts so 8s is truly the most it can handle. Running 100% power and amps limited to 110 you should have a long lasting system. I have been told the castle motor won't work on 6s but they might of screwed up or simply got a bad esc from castle. It will be spinning kinda slow on 6s aswell. Bigger seems to be better 1400kv or lower is a good rule of thumb. Keep in mind you could hook up any old 1/8 scale system and your car will move faster than stock. A system running within the manufactor temp range is doing just that! It's ruining with in range, why worry about it when I have 40 or so runs on it and no problems? . Allmost every one is happy with their castle 1/5 scale motors but not with thier esc. If you guys run that motor on 6s2p on the stock esc plz post it. I would like to see that work, or not work:)

strodedawg

what types of speed are people looking for in their set-ups? i have run my leopard 5698 on 8 s w/ my xxl2 just twice now and the temps have been great on track.

WAY

The more I read the more I am confused lol. There are three Leopad 1/5th scale motor options??? What is the right gearing that is within safe operating temp for each of them? I think I will stick to what I know, which is Castle 1717. However question remains, if I go with 7075RC 48t spur, what pinion size can I use that still operates safely? Ideally I want about 50mph, but if that means it will run too hot, then I am happy to go with smaller pinion.

Also, I believe the black can 1717 (Traxxas) is 1650kv compared to the old 1717 which is 1580.

G

You also need to take into consideration of you wheel/tire size. If you are running Baja wheels, that is like a taller ratio since they are larger than the stockers.

WAY

Yes for sure. I am running stock first, then when the wheels wear out, I am going with 5b wheels. So whatever the stock tyres translate to in pinion size, I will drop 1-2 teeth when I go Baja wheels.

So what is the answer? :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts