• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

CPI pipe broke today

Jackleg

Ran my truck today for maybe 10 minutes and my reward is my CPI pipes mounting tab at the engine broke off. Seems like every time I run my MT I break something. Oh well, working on it is half the fun.

View attachment 6464

Jackleg

I noticed someone else had this tab break on their truck. May be a weak spot with these pipes. Looks like both tabs on the pipe are only welded on one side. I'm going to weld them on both sides and hope it holds up better.

G

I have read of that happening to others. Looks like it actually tore the pipe.

Jackleg

RCDAD said:
I have read of that happening to others. Looks like it actually tore the pipe.
It did tear the pipe. I'm going to beef up the welds around both tabs and hopefully make it more durable. The pipe sticks out so far in the back it is asking to take a beating when you roll the truck. Don't get me wrong I like the pipe and the performance it gives, I just want it to hold up to a tumble.

Jackleg

It was a hard choice between the CPI, Dominator, and Jetpro. I liked the rear exit of the CPI. I'll fix it and see how it goes. Might have to try something else if it continues to break.

Mike4130

Mine broke in the same place. I'm going to try and put some rubber between the mounting points at the shock tower & the motor to give the pipe a little flexibility during running. How long have you had your pipe?

Deluge

If it's bolted to the shock tower and the engine it's going to take a beating. The chassis on the MT flexes like crazy so it's going to put stress on the pipe. If you can get away with just using the engine mount, it should relieve some of that stress.

Jackleg

Mike4130 said:
Mine broke in the same place. I'm going to try and put some rubber between the mounting points at the shock tower & the motor to give the pipe a little flexibility during running. How long have you had your pipe?
I had the pipe a few weeks and only rolled it a few times before I noticed it. I welded both tabs all the way around and I'm in the process mounting it back on.

REVOlutionary Rampage

I'll have to check mine, I've had it on my truck for at least 2 years with no problems. I have rolled my truck four times as well since I installed the pipe. All of which had no damage that I could tell.

Michaels12

Poor joint design. Stress from vibration. Inferior material. It all adds up to a failure somewhere down the road.

Since it broke in the pipe and not through the weld, its the material that failed. If mine does this I will add a doubler ( square patch to reinforce and spread out the load)

Weld it, let it cool, then heat with a torch to stress relieve, no quenching, air cool only... hope for the best.

I think the performance of thr CPI is great, but it is lacking in the fit and asthetics.

My pennys worth :)

G

Good luck on the patch. That should take care of the problem. Keep us posted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts