• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Coleman fuel?

Ryneito

I have a buddy who just got a killerkiller deal on a HPI 5b with a obr full mod 30.5cc. After talking to a local shop owner here in Denver he decided to pick up an extra obr full mod for dirt cheap. We Went to go pick it up last night and upon doing so I learned you can run these motors on Coleman fuel. I've never heard nor read this but this Guy swears up and down that's all he ever ran and has no problems. He runs it on his OBR motors and stock motors too..

I was just wanting to get some insight from you guys on personal experience on the matter. I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor and I think I might go that route. No smell while sitting in my house and exhaust smell was minimal compared to gas..Thanks in advance guys...

alfred e numan

I have heard of others running this. Years ago when car -truck gasoline had lead in it- the 70-s, this could be bought at gas stations- right outtta the pump. It was called white gas.- very low octane. sorta like mexican gas- pemex. Its sorta costly now?- how much a gallon? Lots of folks run just normal regular gasoline with no issues.- BUT- most pump gasoline has ethanol in it- up to 10%.- this is not good to run in anything in my opinion. I only run real gas- no ethanol mix for me- Might be worth a phone call to OBR and see what they have to say about camp fuel- yea, if you do call, let us know what they say---- oh- as far as i know- camp fuel has no ethanol in it- because it would rust up camp stoves real quick as it sets unused.

Ryneito

See we don't have straight gasoline around here and winter blend is in full effect now. I can see and feel the difference in my 1:1. ..He also told me it Burns cleaner with little to no carbon build up on piston and plugs. He showed me a plug out of his personal buggy and it looked brand new. I can't verify it wasn't a new plug but he seemed genuine in our conversation so I don't think he was bs'ing me. I might have to call obr on this since ill be running one of their top ends..

Badrampagemt

Ive got a full mod obr they recommend vp 110 gas and castor 927 oil. Thats the best you can use. Just depends how easy it is for you to get vp 110

Deluge

Yep. Tons of guys run Coleman fuel. I'm going to switch soon. A few of the boat guys here swear by it.

dansmg

My buddy uses Coleman on all his gas planes, his 5B and his gas heli. They all fly great and run well. don't see anything wrong with it.

G

I think on the stock motors it would be ok. But on a high compression, high revving, full mod motor I'm not so sure. Camp fuel has an octane rating around 50.

jeffp83

A friend of mine uses coleman camp fuel in his Baja, it's one of those fancy TR/OBR reed 30.5's engines. He lives in a condo without a basement and doesn't want the smell of gas throughout the house. The thing absolutely rips.

I'm not sure that detonation occurs in these small engines, even Doug @ ESP said that in a forum post I had seen. The only issue my friend has with the coleman fuel is that it doesn't always shut off right away when you hit the kill switch, takes a couple of seconds to die.

jeffp83

This article tests camp fuel/87/92 octane on a modded Zenoah boat engine, no real difference in power.

G

Wow, interesting. I read so many racers laugh at the idea. Thanks for the article, very informative.

jeffp83

No prob. Myself, I don't think i'd run camp fuel just because it is quite a bit more $$$ than gasoline but I do understand why some would want to use it.

dansmg

I think because of she gas smell he uses. He doesn't even like the smell of nitro... lol

alfred e numan

gee, I kinda like the smell of nitro in the moring. Hoppes #9 gun cleaner should be made into an after shave- smells good too-- lol. The only reasons we get away running low octane fuels in these engines is cause of there tiny displacement- and our ignitions have no spark advance. There is less materal to soak up -retain heat. If a full size car engine had the same compression ratios that a stock CY29- or a pumped up 30.5 engine, it would spark nock its self to death in short order on camp fuel or regular pump gas, heck, it would start running backwards after the ignition was turned off- hammer the lower rod bearings to pieces.- saw this happen a few times- old 390 fords-cobra jets- mopars- yes, we can get away with running just about anything in our hobby engines as long as they are not too lean.

Chief409

Found this on the ************ forum. Extensive, gets into what the engine builders like OBR recommend for 2 cycle oil, Colman fuel (55 octane), 100LL (AV Gas), do's and don'ts with ethanol gas and synthetic oil, lots of info.

http://www.************.com/forum/engine-exhaust/9118-truth-about-2-stroke-oils-fuels.html

Chief409

I just read a thread at RC Large Scale forum talking about fuels, oils, etc. What engine builders like OBR recommend, Coleman fuel (55 octane), 100LL Av Gas, ethanol gas and synthetic oil, 25:1 mix, why you shouldn't run the oil mix too rich, etc. Look for a thread called Truth About 2 cycle oil. I discovered the Castor 927 oil I just picked up is preferred by OBR. Pure luck on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts