• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Brushless 1/5 Onroad

Ron E

Contributor
very cool... more pics and info when you get a chance please, video's even better. :D looks awesome. whats the gps say?

krashkrieg

Contributor
Looks great, can't wait to hear more...

@HeavyChevy...They look like 4s hard-case lipos...My Tenergy 2s Hard Case had plugs that came straight out but I re-soldered them sideways so I can use them in a Flux.

I'm guessing thats a Castle 1717?...Video...we need Video...lol

flarcer

flarcer said:
MVC-028L.jpg I'm at work right now, details coming.
This started out as a Redcat TT brushless conversion. but then I thought "why not do an onroad topspeed balls to the wall" car instead? I got a center spur from longshank here on this site and that was all she wrote. I got rid of the TT suspenion stuff but kept the chassis and got onroad stuff. The power setup is temperary until the Castle Ice HV combo comes out. This is a Castle 1520 1600kv motor with a Mamba Monster ESC. The lipo is Checkpoint 2s 5400 packs which are leftover from my 1/8 conversion life. This temperary "test and tune" setup has been good so far, 47mph on 4s. Sorry no video yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

flarcer

My work hours are very long so I cant always answer the questions some have asked, but here goes. These battery trays are from my old brushless life. I owned a couple of Traxxas Rustlers, and as i would upgrade to carbon fiber chassis' I would cut down the old chassis' and use them as my battery holders. Used here I run screws through the underside to secure, line the bottom of the tray with a strip Velcro and a strip of Velcro on the bottom of the lipo as well to keep the screw or nut from pierceing the lipo. Countersunk from the underside. MVC-010X.jpg MVC-004X.jpg MVC-004X.jpg

Attachments

• MVC-004X.jpg
    MVC-004X.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 0

flarcer

Vehicle weight ready to run with body and 6s is 20.5 lbs and right at 21 lbs with 8s. 40T spur gear and 18T pinion gear. Rc-monster 20T and 22T pinions for when ICE hits the market. Still no video.

hamster huey

flarcer said:
This started out as a Redcat TT brushless conversion. I got rid of the TT suspenion stuff but kept the chassis and got onroad stuff.
Ahhh....that knocked off a lot of weight over the TT/MT. Also how much weight did the foam tire/wheel combo save? Do you know how many peak amps youre pulling w/each batt setup? Why did you not pick the more TQ lower 1580kv 1717 as krash guessed? When geared for 47mph how long to the batts last on which cell setup? How long on other cell setups?

flarcer

hamster huey said:
Ahhh....that knocked off a lot of weight over the TT/MT. Also how much weight did the foam tire/wheel combo save? Do you know how many peak amps youre pulling w/each batt setup? Why did you not pick the more TQ lower 1580kv 1717 as krash guessed? When geared for 47mph how long to the batts last on which cell setup? How long on other cell setups?
The stock MT wheel/tire combo was almost 11 lbs, the onroad set is just under 3 lbs, huge difference. I have no ideal what the amp draw is on the lipo setup. At the time that I got this motor this project was not underway, this is strickly temperary. I am looking to go with a 1521/1527 ICE combo something in the 1000-1200 KV range to run on 8s, thats why I got such tall pinion gears. I only ran my 4s lipos for roughly 10 min. just to get a baseline speedwise. There was never a drop in power so I have no real idea as to actual runtime.

flarcer

flarcer said:
Vehicle weight ready to run with body and 6s is 20.5 lbs and right at 21 lbs with 8s. 40T spur gear and 18T pinion gear. Rc-monster 20T and 22T pinions for when ICE hits the market. Still no video.
MVC-005X.jpg

DemonRC

Did you have a shop custom build you the spur gear so that it'll fit the center spindle?

BTW, nice job. I love threads like this.

LongShank

DemonRC said:
Did you have a shop custom build you the spur gear so that it'll fit the center spindle?
BTW, nice job. I love threads like this.
i made that spur gear and sold it to flarcer. here is a link to the part number. i ordered online from sdp-si.com. i ordered a 40t and 36t and the 36t worked better. the 40t required flipping the center diff mounts upside down or cut large hole in chassis. the 36t was perfect with a little mod to center top plate.

in order to mount the spur gear i first machined it to mount to the stock centeer gear drive shaft. then i hardened it. i don't remember the exact dimensions from when i machined but just measure your stock parts and you could figure it out. good luck.

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail.asp?Opener=Group&PartID=57370&GroupID=591

here is actual page of shots of the machined spur gear: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21657&page=21

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp?GroupID=591

also, here is my build thread on my rampage conversion. obeast44 said i had a thread here on RRF but i don't really. i posted all my build progress on RCM, but i probably should have posted here. RCM is a good resource for 1/5 conversions though. http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21657

Obeast44

Banned
Your thread on RCM was way more in depth but ya had a small one of the pretty much finalized truck didnt you? Also didnt Aqwut, you and Kaz have a really good thread with lots of info on it here? I will have to dig it up. :)

LongShank

Obeast44 said:
Your thread on RCM was way more in depth but ya had a small one of the pretty much finalized truck didnt you? Also didnt Aqwut, you and Kaz have a really good thread with lots of info on it here? I will have to dig it up. :)
yeah, you are right. in fact the one you posted i am pretty sure i started but then never posted in it very much. and i think i posted a couple of pics during the build here on RRf. i just thought i would add that other thread as there was lots of discussion and pics in that on converting the ramp. i should probably grab aqwuts rcm build thread and post it too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.