• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Brand new MT won't start at all:(

thejones

I did everything by the book and it won't even give a hint of wanting to start at all. Don't know what else to do.

designed2survive

If you did everything by the book, I take that you have

- fresh mixed fuel at a ratio of 25/1
- carb at factory settings: 1-1/4 L 1-1/2 H
- primed the bulb on the carb
- choke on until engine pop (2-3 pulls) then choke off to 2-3 pulls to start

If you have done the above, do you have a spark?

thejones

I got the exact same spark plug tester. The cord makes the tester spark. So then I decided to try and make the spark plug spark and it sparked also. I'm at a loss.

designed2survive

That's good news! At least your coil is good and spark plug are good!

Now let's make sure you carb is set properly.

1- Locate the HSN (high speed needle) and LSN (low speed needle) on your carb. Fully close (clockwise) both needles. Do not tighten them. They just need to sit closed, not tighten.

2- open (counterclockwise) the HSN to 1-1/2 full turn.

3- open (counterclockwise) the LSN to 1-1/4 full turn.

After that try starting the engine.

1- prime bulb on the carb

2- choke on, pull 2-3 times until the engine pops. Do not pull too many times or you will flood the engine.

3- choke off, pull 1-3 times to start.

I need to ask if you have pulled too many times before, when you were trying to start it on your own. If you did, the engine is probably flooded. It will not start if that's the case and we will need to take care of that first.

thejones

I did the needle thing last night. I pulled the cord a bunch of times. Hurt my shoulder.

designed2survive

Alright

1- take out the spark plug
2- cover the spark plug hole with a rag
3- flip the car upside down
4- pull until you have cleared all fuel from the cylinder.

Then follow start up procedure.

If you have already done so, please let me know.

thejones

I beamed a flashlight through the hole and didn't see any extreme wetness, only dampness. Does that still mean that it could be flooded?

Slimneill

Sounds familiar..... I had the same issue as you when I got mine. The carb was junk. Bought a real Walbro and fires every time now. Then told Redcat it was the carb and they sent a new one... too little too late

thejones

I looked up Walbro on Ebay and found a bunch of them. Which model did you get? Did it just fit onto the engine without any mods?

designed2survive

I beamed a flashlight through the hole and didn't see any extreme wetness, only dampness. Does that still mean that it could be flooded?

Doesn't hurt to do it still.

If you choose to get a different carb, do not get the WT 990 in your case. Chokeless carb start up is not a big deal but it will be one less thing for you to deal with if you get a Walbro WT 668.

Check this link for the carb. You might wanna bookmark the site too. That's where most people get their general 1/5th scale parts.

It can be frustrating, but don't give up. Once you get it up and going it's rewarding.

thejones

Customer support suggested removing the gas cap and if it hisses at me to make the hole a little bigger. It hissed and I made the hole bigger and still nothing. Is there a way to tell if the engine is flooded by looking at it without tipping the truck up and making a mess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts