• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Brakes locked up!!!

paross0214

i am completely new to rc cars and i ordered my rampage tt a couple of weeks ago and it finally came in. was in the middle of my first run, breaking in the motor, and my brakes locked up on me. i now have no idea what do to get them loose. anyone have a resolution to my problem?

yolonda21

Contributor
Are you sure its the brakes.........? Do you have the aluminum gear plate? there are 2 set screws, used to adjust brakes, near the pinion gear at the center diff, that will tighten up if you don't use loctite.....

paross0214

thanks for the help, one of the set screws is way too far. now all i have to do is take on the task for correcting to problem. pretty cramped in there. should be fun

RampageHopUps

I postewd a picture of this problem a few weeks ago. Can someone link that thread on here until I get to a real computer?

Jiver

Found it! During my first break-in tank the brakes started to smoke! After reading and searching, I came across these screws. I'll check them when I get a chance.Still on my first tank; the centre diff rear dogbone pin fell off, replaced the front and rear dogbones. The ones I ordered where longer and had the set screw securing the pins. I used red loctite to secure the set screw. Not even ten minutes into the first tank, the brake pads smoked! I guess I'll be repairing as something fails until the inferior parts have been replaced...Thanks,Gordon Brakescrew.jpg

Brakescrew.jpg

/monthly_2010_05/Brakescrew.jpg.0ac129070ace06060a56dc9cb1e9bb32.jpg

ericp

paross0214 said:
i am completely new to rc cars and i ordered my rampage tt a couple of weeks ago and it finally came in. was in the middle of my first run, breaking in the motor, and my brakes locked up on me. i now have no idea what do to get them loose. anyone have a resolution to my problem?
that happened to mine too, so we took it apart and all of sudden went back to normal so now my problem is when i start it and trigger the remote it position or apply the brake on without me even touching the remote and as i was reading on it is a safety caution just in case the batery is low a guess.

Speeddreemin

paross0214 said:
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I thought it was the brakes but it wasn't. Just today I started taking it apart. I took the front assembly off the frame. It rolled fine. I rolled the car with everything still attached and it would bind up. I took the rear assembly off and it rolled fine. I tried to spin the gears on the transmission and they were still binding. I started to take the transmission gear plate loose from the motor ( the 3 big hex bolts ) and after I lossened those 3 bolts it free'd its self up. Any idea what happened??? Something catching in the clutch??

lightning73

yolonda21 said:
Are you sure its the brakes.........? Do you have the aluminum gear plate? there are 2 set screws, used to adjust brakes, near the pinion gear at the center diff, that will tighten up if you don't use loctite.....
Yolanda you are a lifesaver! You have no idea how much grief you saved me by making that post...I too had the "brake lock" issue today, if i had not seen your post to this problem i surely would have pulled the last 6 hairs out of my head!...lol...I know for sure i would have never checked those two set screws, or thought they could cause the problem for that matter...That being said i have a question for you, i have taken the two set screws out and im ready to loctite them, exactly how far do they need to be screwed in to be set properly?...Now that i have gone thru the painful process of getting to them to get them out, i want to make sure that this is a one time deal, so i want to set them properly...Thanks again Yolanda! I look forward to your answer...... ;)

hamster huey

I just had mine apart for maintenance. I set them flush and counted the revolutions out. I eyeballed it. Then I test fit it only installing 2-3 screws. Pick your test fit screw location wisely because when you test the brake arm it will flex so you might want to put a screw in there. My first try was close, but I ended up having to go in 1/4 from what I thought was good. It really was not a big deal.

ericp

mine still doing same thing i don't know if the fail safety causing or what maybe the servo's i don't know, without me even trigering the remote it just lock's up the brake? any answer would help!!!!!!! thank you

lightning73

ericp, are you turning on your truck before turning on your remote? if so the failsafe instantly locks up the brakes. the transmitter has to be turned on before the receiver in that order!...if thats not what is causing it, then id say toss out the failsafe and get a new one, if you still have the stock failsafe you should upgrade it anyway.

lightning73

hamster huey said:
I just had mine apart for maintenance. I set them flush and counted the revolutions out. I eyeballed it. Then I test fit it only installing 2-3 screws. Pick your test fit screw location wisely because when you test the brake arm it will flex so you might want to put a screw in there. My first try was close, but I ended up having to go in 1/4 from what I thought was good. It really was not a big deal.
So what was your final adjustment location hamster?...Did they end up being flush or just slightly in from flush?...Or for that matter were they slightly turned out from flush...My MT has only seen like five tanks of fuel so far, so im just past the break in stage do you think flush will be good enough, or do i have to keep trying different settings...Its not easy getting an allen key on these things...lol

Speeddreemin

Well... I guess it was the brakes after all!!! After I had freed it up "by accident" I fired it up and ran it, without any front or rear diffs even mounted to the frame. It ran great for about 2 minutes then it locked up again. I tried to move the brake lever and it wouldn't budge!! So now the real question. Is it those set screws, or is it a bent shaft that goes thru the braking mechanism? The reason I ask, is cause I can still rotate the gears but it feels like it's only grabbing in one spot. How far should they be sticking out?0.080 in?? How far is that??

lightning73

RampageHopUps said:
The set screws should be about 0.080" away from the upright.
I don't have a micrometer, so i cant really go by that measurement, i guess the best way to ask this question is, how much of the set screw should be sticking out of the upright?...One half of its length?...One third of its length...Or one quarter of its length?...Which one of these locations would be the closest to being correct?

ericp

lightning73 said:
ericp, are you turning on your truck before turning on your remote? if so the failsafe instantly locks up the brakes. the transmitter has to be turned on before the receiver in that order!...if thats not what is causing it, then id say toss out the failsafe and get a new one, if you still have the stock failsafe you should upgrade it anyway.
hey thanks for the info and i think i will upgrade to a better set up and toss out the stock one that came with the car once again thank you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts