• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

belt drive yes or no

:confused:I was wondering anybody with the belt drive system instead of gears. What is the difference and is it really worth using the belt or gear drive. If u use the belt drive how often is maintenance required. Like having to change the belt how often does it wear out plus are there any alignment issues. Does it stay true for the most part or are there adjustments needed. Just wondering if it would really be worth the investment.

Dreggsta

I asked rc pitstop about their belt drive & they told me that it makes the gearing taller. I don't know & didn't ask if they offer different pullys. As for alignment, it should stay aligned perfectly just like automotive belt systems where one pulley might have a lip & others not. I find the belt drive very, very nice.

G

For the MT, it is a taller ratio. With the other cats is in the sweet spot. The stock motor will struggle with the huge MT tires. If you run the Baja tires its great. If you have a ported motor with gobs of torque, it is possible to run it with the MT tires.

Thanks for the inpute

Thats answers a lot. I run my trucks bigger is better to say so unless puting a different motor or beafin mine up would make a big difference than i will not be using the belt drive. thanks for all the inpute. Im really glad i found thisa site in my searches

Wmaze54

I'm also interested in getting the belt drive system for my xt and wanted to know a little more about them. All I really know is that they are quieter than the gears. So I wanted to know what other advantages are there to running the belt system. Also if running in the x series does it matter what rims and tires I use ( I don't plan on using anything bigger than the xt tires ) but I have the xt and xsc. Is there a difference between running it with the bigger xt tires vs the smaller xsc tires. Most likely I will run either all fronts or all rears of the 5t tires. Does it matter what motor I run stock vs modified. Will the power of the different motors effect the belts gearing. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

blak__jak

I bought a belt drive conversion kit for my m/t but ended up putting it on my d/r instead so I haven't tried it on the m/t yet but I've had it about 8 months now and i'm still running with the original belt. very little wear noticeable. as for alignment issues there are none that I have experienced. the belt drive is less rotating mass than a gear setup so your motor will spin up a tab faster and it eliminated the noise that the metal gears make. overall I've been pleased with it and it looks cool too.

blak__jak

I forgot to mention also if you're thinking of picking up a belt drive kit that you're kinda lucky that you waited until now because the new multi ratio kits are out now and on sale at rcpitstop left side of page. wish I would have waited.

MrMeatHooks

This is interesting. I have been wondering about belt drive set up myself, mainly for the quiet, smoother operation factor. However, because I like to make the best of what I have or improve upon I have decided to do an experiment. What makes the gears noisy really, is the fact the gears are square cut. If you bevel the inside an outside of the teeth on the 4 tranny gears it will make them quieter and smoother. It reduces harmonics as well... Its like going from a noisy gear drive, to a quiet one. I have seen this done on automotive gear drives and I am going to try this theory on the MT. I will post a thread if it all works!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts