• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Aluminum Differential Case for Rampage XT

b.l.allen

I've been looking for an aluminum Differential case for my Rampage XT. I've found a case for the MT, but, not the XT. I've read that they aren't the same thing and are NOT interchangeable. If anyone has an idea, your input would be appreciated.

Wayne

The MT and X series of vehicles are different. 7075 RC sales an aluminum differential case for the Red Cat X series of vehicles and that is the only place I know of that does. The owner of 7075 RC is active on the site and I think he goes by the name "Old Fart". He makes outstanding/the best after market parts for the X series.

b.l.allen

Great. Thank you. I'll check him out. I had no idea that the XT had so few 3rd party upgrades. I might have rethought buying it had I known.

Wayne

Just wanted to correct my earlier post, the name he uses on this site is Ol' fart. In my opinion his after market parts/upgrades are the best available for the X series but there are other places/individuals that sell after market parts/upgrades for those vehicles, to include Red Cat Racing.

itlnstln1313

Interesting. Sounds like it needs a solid plate of aluminum attached to the entire surface of the differential case on the pinion side with a hole cutout for the pinion to stick thru. Could Epoxy it on for full surface attachment reinforcement. This would prevent the case from bulging outward in a localized stress concentration because the aluminum plate would be distributing the load all directions.

itlnstln1313

I’ll give it a shot
You can also try this after looking at my Differential...... Piece of aluminum bent on each end to straddle the sides of the differential case with hole drilled out to remove pinion bearing. Once the plate is situated securely, fill in the void between the plate and the case with Epoxy. Will turn entire area into a solid Mass of Epoxy with Aluminum Walls which will help Dampen Vibration from driveshaft.

This brings to mind..... IS YOUR DRIVESHAFT STRAIGHT AND TRUE?? Or is it Bent causing a Vibration that is tearing up your pinion input?

Do not sandwich the aluminum plate between the aluminum arm holder and the diff case.

I have also been planning to use an L-Shaped piece of aluminum placed on the front and rear of the diff case across the top of the aluminum arm holders and then drill a hole thru the piece and bottom chassis for insertion of a long screw with lock nut. The bottom chassis hole would of course be Chamfered to accommodate the screw head. The purpose of this is to create a Clamp to hold down the differential. I had both of my differentials come loose resulting in debris getting underneath into the Diff Cases which destroyed the bearings and damaged the gears. This happened because the 4 little screws underneath are all that hold down the Diff to the chassis and can come loose or get stripped out. Locking it down with a positive lock vertical clamp at front and rear should 100% resolve that from happening again.

I also plan to use put some RTV Silicone underneath the Diff Cases to seal them down and help minimize leaking grease. Diff Cases will be filled with Black Moly Grease. I am even thinking of drilling and installing a small grease zerk on the Diff Cases to allow a quick shot of grease whenever there is a concern of contamination because the grease will force out debris where ever it may have entered. Same reason you grease any machine.
I am also ordering Copper Sleeves with 20mm ID x 20mm Length which can be searched on Ebay as 2020 Self Lubricating Bushing to be placed on the Diff Cups. Just ordered them today coming from China. Will be awhile before I can verify fitment. If needed, I can place the Diffs in the Freezer to cool and shrink things and then place the Copper/Bronze bushings in the oven to expand them. I am doing this to not only strengthen the Diff Drive Cups but also to provide improved fitment of the Silicone Axle Boots I purchased originally intended for the HPI 5B Buggies.

So glad I got 1/5 Scale Chimera and XBE. Easier to work on and do Upgrades/Modifications/Maintenance.

fm3redcat

?

Attachments

• 317720C9-2F9D-448B-A0BE-04167A147514.jpeg
    317720C9-2F9D-448B-A0BE-04167A147514.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 14
  • B4F56A1F-F9C2-4294-8122-26422870AB7B.jpeg
    B4F56A1F-F9C2-4294-8122-26422870AB7B.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 14

itlnstln1313

What were you doing when this happened? Shock loading it from Jumps or just cruising around on a track/ yard?

Looks like the pinion gear walked right out of the crown and thru the case creating a side load?

Get a new case and try the epoxy fill around the pinion input to the case. Make sure you shim it also for crown to pinion gear. When shimming mine, I discovered the crown gear has an improperly machined landing that contacts the OD of the bearing?! I had to disassembled and install a pinion shim Redcat 17102 found on Redcat.Toys website between the bearing and crown gear. This Guarantees only the center of the bearing contacts the crown gear to prevent rubbing on the OD of the bearing. It also helped with establishing proper shimming in my particular case assembly.

Do you also have Grease in the differential for sufficient lubrication? I have mine at least half full of Black Moly Grease so that it fills the voids and rolls around to lubricate the entire internals. It also helps with Cooling the gears and bearings. I then siliconed the diff case down to the frame to prevent leaking and debris from coming in beneath it.

I just finished installed Losi CV Axle Boots on the outboard part of the rear driveshafts and Baja 5B CV Axle Boots on the Inboard part because I have the reinforced output cups on my differential. Both CV Axles assemblies at each end greased.

I bought a Used XBE Buggy which was Badly Abused and Improperly cared for... so I am working on Salvaging it with allot of other Misc Upgrade.

Doing similar to the front next including center driveshafts with CV Axles and grease.

This buggy has a ways to go before back together.... waiting on misc parts and acquiring spare parts as I can.

I sure like working on something Large like this rather than my 1/8 Buggies.....

fm3redcat

Finally getting around to this still working on it

Attachments

• 942903B3-C213-478E-90E6-91EEEDC2B866.jpeg
    942903B3-C213-478E-90E6-91EEEDC2B866.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 7

fm3redcat

Not the best but hopefully it works ?

Attachments

• 9F9F133E-A455-4C33-9471-61B2730AAE1B.jpeg
    9F9F133E-A455-4C33-9471-61B2730AAE1B.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 9

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts