• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

air filter oil?

Rampage.Pete

ok live literally in the middle of nowhere and can not find a store with any airfilter oil at all... i went to canadian tire and 2 auto parts stores... im using stockfilter also outerwears but finally spring is starting to show up and roads starting to show underneath the snow and ice soon it will be sand and dust and i want to oil my filter.... is there any other oils that would do the trick than dedicated oil for foam filters? they all seem kinda same but what would i know lol i don't know much about chemicals included in the oils... any help would be apreciated thank you

Pete

M

magnum57

If you think about it, the old briggs lawn mower engines just used SAE 30wt oil on their foam air filter s for years and it worked well.

Rampage.Pete

yea as long as its sticky oil i guess it works.. just wanted to see if anyone uses anything else than those dedicated oils... i got some after run oil for nitro engines here it might do the trick too

Ron E

Contributor
not motor oil !!! go to a motorcycle shop and get some foam filter oil, very tacky and stays on the filter. motor oil will run off/out of the filter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rampage.Pete

as i started my post i cant find any filter oil in town.. no motorsycle stores here or parts i did say to the guys in stores that motorsycles uses this stuff... because they said they never heard of airfilter oil for foam filters lol... and these guys work in auto part stores lol

Ron E

Contributor
Rampage.Pete said:
as i started my post i cant find any filter oil in town.. no motorsycle stores here or parts i did say to the guys in stores that motorsycles uses this stuff... because they said they never heard of airfilter oil for foam filters lol... and these guys work in auto part stores lol
i'm sorry but it's a must... motor oil will let dirt/sand thru and ruin your motor... you must get some, drive further or order online but do not run w/o good air filter oil or you WILL be doing a top end.

also, the guys in your AUTO parts stores are idiots.

google foam filter oil and order some.

Rampage.Pete

yup ill order it if there is no optional oil i can use... well im actually taking trip down south next week so ill grabsome from hobby stores there... i wasnt worryed about oil before because all i had was icy roads no dirt or sand to worry about... but now its starting to melt so time to worry

cable97526

Watch me get flamed for this one!!! Most of us here on the West Coast and Coos County region run either KandN Filter oil or on almost ALL of our foams we use WD-40 and it works great!!! It catches everything and we have yet to have a dirty plenum becuase of poor filtration. I hope this helps.

Ron E

Contributor
in my 40 years of dirtbike racing i've seen many people try and cheat on there air filter in a pinch, always results in a piston and cylinder... if you run in a very clean area, maybe for a while. my dragbike has lectron carbs and stacks, no air filters, but clean air...

if you run in a dirty/dusty/sandy area and do not use good air filter oil, order a piston now, you'll need it.

Rampage.Pete

darn van hobbies or rampage hopups either one don't have air filter oil? maybe im too old but i seached with word oil and also tryed filter but only chock oil and filters found but no actual airfilter oil lol... well ebay to rescue once again then....

Ron E

Contributor
Rampage.Pete said:
darn van hobbies or rampage hopups either one don't have air filter oil? maybe im too old but i seached with word oil and also tryed filter but only chock oil and filters found but no actual airfilter oil lol... well ebay to rescue once again then....
I just googled "foam filter oil" and lots came up, klotz, pj1, bel-ray, amsoil, etc.... please don't risk it, for your engines sake... :)

damn, i've got 4-5 bottles of pj1/maxima and belray in the shop, I wish i could help ya. evan spray on oil works, klotz andpj1 are available in spray, but you have to spray a LOT on and work it in good so the filter is soaked, then squeeze out the excess and play in the dirt. :D

cable97526

Ron E said:
in my 40 years of dirtbike racing i've seen many people try and cheat on there air filter in a pinch, always results in a piston and cylinder... if you run in a very clean area, maybe for a while. my dragbike has lectron carbs and stacks, no air filters, but clean air...
if you run in a dirty/dusty/sandy area and do not use good air filter oil, order a piston now, you'll need it.
Why? We have yet to have one of our 250R's, banshee 350's or YFZ450's have any problems in very dusty, dirty situations. I don't understand how over here we can be any different than anywhere else for conditions. My personall Banshee with a 410 kit, 11-1 head and tumies, has been running for three years on the same top end using my Twin-Air filter lubed with WD-40. Like I stated before when we have torn these down there has been NO trails of dust or dirt entering the engine.

Rampage.Pete

ill buy the hpi filter oil that bajas come with.. its really sticky i had that before.... just need to wait forever for it to arrive lol... my paypal payments take usually 8 days to clear then usually 2 weeks to get anything from the states nd that is if they ship within reasonable time lol... so well atleast we got warmer weather by the time i got the oil here :) rampage will look pretty on shelf untill that

Ron E

Contributor
dude thats geat, and it may work fine... I believe you. I just would not risk it on one of my 7 dirtbikes. foam filter oil is very tacky, and made for a reason. wd40 works for lots of things, I always have a case in my shop, love the stuff... but it will never touch a air filter of mine.

08 ktm 250 xcfw top end, several hundred dollars... or more.

foam filter oil, 10.00

it's just cheap insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:

pipeous

in a pinch until it arrives, dif oils are thick and sticky, or rear end oil... just need something that is sticky to attract the dirt. I have used all kinds of oils in offroad rc for years when I didn;t have filter oil, you just have to clean the thinner stuff more often

wd40 to me isn't oil, it's a cleaner. it actually works amazing for cleaning the filter oil out of filters, but I have used it in a pinch as well. even used after run oil. I usually use 2 foam filters and keep lots of extra foam elements and change them throughout the day

Piranha2

Contributor
I'm using Bel-Ray for my HPI two-stage filter with oil on the primary, secondary is dry and outerwears.......but what do I know, i have 2-stroke oil in my rear dif :eek:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts