• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Air filter maintenance

CyberVet65

Contributor
When? Do it everytime you run the truck? It looks like I have a Baja 5b sleeve set. I run an Outerwear sleeve and then a coarse foam cover then a fine almost solid foam unit. That is the unit I oiled up really good.

When cleaning. Clean all the units with hot soapy water. Let dry. Then re-oil. I am guessing here. How often? Of course when it looks like it is solid dirt but in between time when it isn't ran in heavy sand or dirt.

How often can the foam units be reused? Not expensive but it would be nice to know how long they will last. How dirty does the Outerwear get before you get a new one? Even when it won't clean up.

When oiling. Make it sopping, dripping wet then squeeze out excess. Or use PJ-1 and spray the oil on. I have K&N's on my bike and truck but they are not foam.

So let's get some input here for us newbies.

Oh yeah, why a velocity stack? I put an angled shred stack for clearance but why a velocity stack.

Pros and cons for the K&N type filters. The same question about the solid can filters like DDM sell. I an thinking more air exposure the better. Does the cans just look good or are the functional?

Deluge

I would clean the air filter after every run. Hot soapy water is fine, only don't oil it until you're ready to run. The oil tends to settle in the filter when it sits for a while. I change air filters when they start to look well soiled, even after a thorough cleaning. They last for quite a while, though. As far as the prefilters, I ran them until they started looking beat up or until the outer filter element started getting more dirt than usual.

Here's a good air filter maintenance tutorial: Oiling & Installing the Air Filter

A velocity stack basically speeds up the air going into the intake and to some extent improves air flow by smoothing it out and making it more consistent. Performance wise, I've never noticed a difference when I ran one. It's not something you're going to notice when you hit the throttle.

K&N filters are for on road use only. You get a lot of air flow, but you lose some filtration. They'll let dirt in and kill your engine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts