• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

54090 steel gears

chrispc66

Hello

I have two TT-5 buggies, well hopped up.

On one I have the aluminium gear plate and pin gears. Running 35-25-25-25 no probs with 813 carb, pipe and porting work. Absolutely flies.

On the other I decided to fit the 54090 gears and retain the plastic plate. Running 31-29-26-24. 813 carb and pipe. No worries and goes excellent.

Upon fitting the 54090 gears I noted they were tight and not really free moving. The centre shaft is adjusted correctly for tension. Diff shaft is set up spot on. All gears perfectly aligned. All shafts spin freely with central gears removed.

I was a little surprised the gears were such close tolerance and assume they will bed in over time. I use a little high temp grease on them too. When running there is a bit of a whine from the gears and after about two tanks they are not bedding in much and still a little tight. There is not much heat generated with them, I put this down to grass surfaces and the grease.

Can someone advise their experiences with these 54090 metal gears and how long it took for them to bed in to run freely?

Cheers peeps. :D

chrispc66

32 views and no feedback?

Doesn't matter, two tanks and they're as smooth as need be!

Not much seems to happen around here anyway.... :)

Deluge

When I had steel 25/25's they were a bit tight, they loosed up after about 3 tanks. Be sure not to over tighten the nuts that hold the gears, that could cause some binding. In fact, it's better to tighten them and then back them off a bit to loosen things up.

chrispc66

Cheers.....nut tension is perfect, gears spin freely now after a few tanks, bedded in nicely.

Running 31-29-26-24 ATM on this TT-5. Going to buy 35-25-25-25 also. These gears seem OK, although I prefer the pin style ones. I have both ratios in the pin design on my other TT-5.

Thanks for the input.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts