• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

4x4 DR owners, are you happy with your performance?

Loud72

If not, try expandze for men... :p

All kidding aside...Are you happy running 4x4 on your Dune Runner? If yes or no, please explain why? Just wanting to see if anyone has had the same issues I've experienced with my DR V3 4x4.

As for myself, I am currently in the not so happy camp. My stock CY 26 / CPI tuned pipe setup seems to struggle to reach top end speed and the gear train area continues to be a problem. My most recent problem is the inner bearing seized on the second way shaft and melted the inside of the gear plate. I discovered that I was to blame for the failure as I ran it through some water puddles before I let the truck sit for a few weeks. (I blew the buggy off with an air hose but failed to lubricate it...lesson learned) I have an aluminum gear plate on order from Pacific Coast RC and some ABEC 5 sealed bearings with ceramic balls also on order. I am optimistic that the plate and bearings will help. That being said however I am seriously considering removing the 4x4 to see how much more top speed I get out of the buggy.

As for my application, I'm a basher that runs outdoors on Texas red dirt/grass/weed terrain. Just to be clear, i'm not bashing 4x4 in any way. As a matter of fact I'm a big fan of 4 wheel drive as my 1/10 and 1/8 scale brushless electrics are both 4wd and are great for traction.

Regards,

Loud72

Last edited by a moderator:

rob64n

Contributor
Well i don't own a dunerunner but i have used that hpi pipe and not impressed it is not a good tuned pipe and doesn't have any topend i would suggest you try another pipe and i think you'll notice a big difference, hope that helps.

Loud72

rob64n said:
Well i don't own a dunerunner but i have used that hpi pipe and not impressed it is not a good tuned pipe and doesn't have any topend i would suggest you try another pipe and i think you'll notice a big difference, hope that helps.
Oops, I just noticed I posted that I have an HPI pipe when in fact it's a CPI chrome tuned pipe... I didn't catch my typo...

Loud72

lightning73

That sucks to hear Loud, Im still havin problems with my gears too, and im also waiting on my aluminum gearplate to be delivered. I already have the new bearings and I also ordered the aluminum diff set to go with it. Its just worth it to have the extra peace of mind in the driveline in my opinion. Good luck with it man sounds like were havin some of the same issues and hopefully you get it sorted out.

lords

well i am on my second tank with my Dune Runner still waiting for my parts from redcat.

but pulled the middle shaft along with the cup and ran the snot out of it with 2 wheel and a ss pipe....instead of 25:1 on the mix i did 32:1 ran kind of hot but what the heck tuned it up nicely after a warm up, and beat on it for 45 minutes straight

gravel ,blacktop and cement pavement jumping over speed bumps at 3/4 throttle straight up slanted curbs for nice Spiro roles and totally landed on all 4 wheels each time

I do love the balance on this thing..full throttle zigZags drifting endlessly around corners and more I must of got the cream of the crop beside my dogbone and set screw issue(wasn't even there when i bought it).

1 gear stripped from the nylon nut coming loose(red locktite now)

I am still amazed on being ,i guess the lucky one with this.

I am going to try some second story roof jumps to see what it's really got by the weekend after the round lake track run with a co partner to really see how the balance is...then ripping it apart and cleaning it back up ordering the metal gears and slapping in my ported polished 30.5cc to start all over again....

anyone got a clue on some good top end gears for this?...

I will set up the try video along with the onboard for the roof jumps and bashing :)

Peace...

Loud72

lords said:
well i am on my second tank with my Dune Runner still waiting for my parts from redcat.
but pulled the middle shaft along with the cup and ran the snot out of it with 2 wheel and a ss pipe....instead of 25:1 on the mix i did 32:1 ran kind of hot but what the heck tuned it up nicely after a warm up, and beat on it for 45 minutes straight

gravel ,blacktop and cement pavement jumping over speed bumps at 3/4 throttle straight up slanted curbs for nice Spiro roles and totally landed on all 4 wheels each time

I do love the balance on this thing..full throttle zigZags drifting endlessly around corners and more I must of got the cream of the crop beside my dogbone and set screw issue(wasn't even there when i bought it).

1 gear stripped from the nylon nut coming loose(red locktite now)

I am still amazed on being ,i guess the lucky one with this.

I am going to try some second story roof jumps to see what it's really got by the weekend after the round lake track run with a co partner to really see how the balance is...then ripping it apart and cleaning it back up ordering the metal gears and slapping in my ported polished 30.5cc to start all over again....

anyone got a clue on some good top end gears for this?...

I will set up the try video along with the onboard for the roof jumps and bashing :)

Peace...
Dang that is hardcore awesome dude. Can't wait to see the videos from that jumping! I'm also thinking about the 32:1 ratio. I'm going to try Blue Marble synthetic I got from DDM.

So was there a noticeable top speed increase going from 4WD to 2WD??

Loud72

lords

don't know right out of the box the center dogbone pin and cups grub screw was gone,

so never ran it in 4 wheel drive..(waiting on the parts to arrive)...

i was going to use blue Marble but did a 2 day research on it and found out that it's not really that good even compared to tech4 from wallmart...lol

bottom line is peeps saying they had to many uneven burns and overheats even at 25:1

even on the RCU and HPI forums also the rpm spin up on it is rated at 10.000...so i guess on the next batch i am going to try Klotz Super Techniplate oil...

tons of company's using it in there weedwackers, snowmobiles and such..

it didn't really matter in the start to me but being a heavy brasher one needs to think about cylinder lube, clean burn and less res....at higher rpm's

otherwise 93 octane and walmart tech 4 was ok with me...lol

damm rain and tornado warning out here in WI so...

flint mann

In a word yes. As expected, the stock can left a "little" to be desired. A tuned pipe woke the stock engine right up, I have ran it with a CPI tuned pipe and a GBE hornet pipe. I have a 2X4 as well as a 4X4 set up about the same and I didn't notice a speed difference between 2X4 and 4X4 just that the 2X4 takes a little more finesse and gets to top end a tad quicker because it is turning only the rear wheels. I run amsoil with high octane fuel 25:1 in all my cars.

Loud72

I am currently finishing off my final tank of gas with the Klotz super techniplate. Next up is the two quarts of blue marble that I bought from DDM. DDM says to run it for 20 minutes at moderate RPMs.. maybe that is how to break the oil in or something?

lords

Loud72 said:
I am currently finishing off my final tank of gas with the Klotz super techniplate. Next up is the two quarts of blue marble that I bought from DDM. DDM says to run it for 20 minutes at moderate RPMs.. maybe that is how to break the oil in or something?
as far as i know yes

you want that oil to burn through the engine

back years ago most said don't do it

just like with going from 30% nitro down to 20%

just run it moderate for a tank...(hard to do now days...lol)

let me know how that blue marble works out...it's still on my list :)

bbuzzard

Contributor
Yes, to the suspension and drivability...4WD is the best!

So-so speed due to the weight...

No, to body options still looking for a clear body, how hard can this be to get?

bbuzzard

Contributor
It's all subjective, man...I went with Redcat to save some money...I haven't had any real issues with the bodies...just looking for personalize mine, that's all

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts