• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Yet another DuneRunner :)

Ice_2k

Hey guys,

I just got my DR a couple of weeks ago and today I got some parts for it and I'm gonna get busy :) I intend to install the performance upgrades one at a time and do some testing and measurements to see exactly how much each one does. If you have any suggestions, fire away :)

Photo%2002.03.2015%2C%2023%2024%2054.jpg

Photo%2003.03.2015%2C%2000%2040%2045.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice_2k

Ice_2k

It was just some good ol' Jack :) )

I had someone recommend a vented clutch housing, any thoughts? Any downsides to opening up the clutch housing?

Ice_2k

:) Just bolted'em on yesterday, I love the look. Can't wait to take'em out, I hope they'll perform a lot better than the stocks, which were really not up to the task of running on tarmac, grip-wise or durability-wise (especially the rears).

Ice_2k

you would not for off-road because it's not needed or because dirt will get in through the vented casing? If I ever decide to take it to the beach, will I have to revert back to the stock housing?

blak__jak

whatever was in that glass, in the first picture, I'd say that plant next to it had either to little or to much of it because I don't give it much chance of survival. nice duney though!

Ice_2k

After about 90 minutes of running, I am completely impressed with how the dunerunner is evolving. The drivetrain had a lot of friction in the beginning, now it's much-much better, the car is coasting for long distances, the brakes also improved dramatically (altough I think I'm still gonna replace the spring with a stiffer one) and the engine is really starting to come alive! I'm still not giving it WOT, I want to get through ~2L of fuel before considering it fully broken in, but still, using the road tyres on pavement, it's drifting, it's doing donuts as soon as it catches the slightest trace of dirt, I love it :D

Regarding the brakes, I think what some people do (replacing the spring with a piece of fuel line) could be partially responsible for the failure of the throttle/brake servo. From my understanding of the system, the servo needs to be able to make its full travel when braking and fully compress the spring. The power of the spring will be the one doing the actual pushing on the brake lever. Replacing it with something that doesn't allow the servo to go all the way (like a piece of fuel line) I think would put a lot of stress on the servo, increasing the chances of it failing. I'm gonna wait for 1-2 more hours and if by then I'm not completely satistified with the brakes, I'll just replace the spring with a slightly stiffer one.

On the downside, you can see below the cost of stupidity. I use a piece of napkin in the exhaust to keep the smell of gas as low as possible when storing the car and today I obviously forgot to take it out before starting it. It only idled for 2-3 seconds before I realised my monumental mistake and removed the napkin, but apparently it was enough to blow the coupling :( As a bonus, I didn't notice the problem (everything sounded normal) and ran it like that for 25-30 minutes which obviously got oil everywhere on the rear of the car... Any idea if the baja couplings will fit? I have an upcoming order from DDM and they don't have the original redcat coupling.

RampageHopUps

Taking that whole part off will increase your horsepower by loads. Its very restrictive.

More cleaning, but your smile will be worth it.

RampageHopUps

Back in the first days, we tool off the coupler and tube and just used heater hose to route the fumes and dirt away from the wing. That would be better than the pipe.

Ice_2k

Thanks for the advice, Rob. I already have the JetPro so I'm not chasing horsepower from the stock exhaust. The reason I'm not bolting the jetpro on right now is that I want to finish my break-in, make some measurements (low end grunt, top speed) in the stock configuration and then see exactly how much of a difference the Jetpro makes.

Ice_2k

Clutch first, carb and intake second, jetpro last :) With speed & acceleration tests for each step :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.