• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XBE motor woes

chapinb

I just fried my 2nd motor.

My rig - XBE, stock tires with Castle XL2, amp limit set to 250 on 6s. 7065 motor mount with 44 tooth spur

The most recent motor Im at a loss for why it went up. It was a leopard 5692, 1090kv with maybe 40 packs on it. Iv been running a 14 pinion, and its been very happy. Temps were reasonable, below 140 even in the heat. Cogging was low and everything was smooth.

With the cooler weather rolling in, I tried a 16 tooth pinion. Temps were great at 122 after 45 mins of running. Near the end of the 2nd pack I was running very hard, full throttle slides and uphill climbs. Temps rose to 150 and I noticed some cogging. The motor leads also seemed unusually warm.

Gave it a 10 min cool down, put in a fresh pack and off we go! So I thought. Heavy cogging and an almost immediate temp spike of 160 after just 5 min. That horrid burnt motor smell came out then the motor locked up.

Drove home 10 min away and pulled the motor out. It was hardly warm, but was difficult to turn. Still smooth, but alot of resistance.

Im baffeled why this motor fried. The first one (a TP 1100kv) was almost expected, it was ran too hard and should live in a boat, not a buggy.

Ideas? What should I be looking at here?

chapinb

The stator and rotor magnets looks fine and are all securely attached. Does not look like anything got in there except some dust around the bearings.

But the windings look fried!

chapinb

Bearings both have a very fine coat of dirt on them but turn smooth.

I'm ordering another later today and hopefully this was just a bad motor.

chapinb

New leopard has been ordered... Ill resolder all the motor connections just to make sure when it gets in.

twissted

Banned
You should have got the Castle 1717 on ebay.

[ame]

[/ame]running on 8s

This motor is a 6s motor but some of us push it with 8s. keeping the temps low is key on any motor, esc and battery!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts