• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

WT 990 Test results.

alfred e numan

I bought the Walbro 400-606 pressure spring kit and started testing saturday- finished 01/31/12.- Engine. 30.5 HY. Jetpro rear. DT-1 three stage filter. 3/4 inch velocity stack. ADA manifold. Maxima 927 @ 25 to 1. Non ethanol 92 octane gas. copper base gasket - 0.30 mm, permatex ultra copper. Toqured to 8 N/M, resulting to .078 mm squish- safety for the 2 bolt-carbon build up. O.K, here we go. I cut a 3/4 mm deep square notch with a Dremel thin cut cutoff wheel on the 990s butterfly plate. this 3rd generation notch straddles the idle jet in the bore. there are 2 jets behind the idle jet. these 3 jets operate in three stages. 1st jet for idle- as the throttle is opened slightly -air enters the rear 2 jets to help atomize - feed the idle jet- as the throttle is opened further gas only is drawn out of all 3 jets. - this is more complex than i discribe -- not enough room - time to detail further on this post. The pressure spring. This spring has 2 functions. It controls when the needle valve opens to feed more fuel to the jets- nozzles in the carb. AND it controls the reseat pressure. The fuel pump produces approx 5-7 psi with a rubber over silk type of diaphram- this is what we use - as stock part. The reseat pressure should be 10 psi. To be more stable running in my engine i settled in with 12- 12 1/2 psi. The reseat pressure tends to go down in a running engine. The "pop-off" pressure tends to go up in a running engine. Before you start expermenting , you must have a carb in perfect working order that has 2/3 rd to 3/4 full fuel bulb as the engine is ideling. I eventually settled with pressure spring # 98-189. interchange # 98-3255. In static testing, this spring released # 18 psi. Reseated # 12 psi. this was a happy medium setting. The hi-speed fuel screw-- 3/4 turn- slightly rich, but safe. This setting is because there is so much more fuel comeing out of the 3 idle-mid throttle jets AND the main fuel nozzle. On the mild mannered XB with 6000 rpm spring- 4 grp bulldog m compound narrow tires on 3 year old chip sealed asphalt road, in 3 feet this car either lifts the front tires slightly OR spins out of control. The mid range is quite a bit more powerful also. there was a slight improvement in the top end power. this is a torquer engine. With a hot-rod engine i suspect there would be even more gains. DONOT cut -strech springs. Be safe and buy the Walbro # 400-606 spring kit and the proper pressure tester and use water to test the pressure tester for air leaks before you dive into this most interesting way of building horsepower.- from idle -up to overrev. There is far more to this than i have posted here- P-M me provide me with a phone # and i will talk deeper on this topic. yea- i am a "newbe" but ya gotta start somewhere!!! Thank you for reading this.

alfred e numan

me agan---

The 3 stage DT-1 filter is too much. I have a 2 stage on the way from DDM. I also tried the 1" tall velocity stack with pressure spring # 98-343. This blew off at 15 psi static test, reseated #11 psi. The car launched even harder, BUT--- I could not control the high speed fuel needle set- just a Alfred guess- I think that the tall velocity stack caused so much air-flow that it overrode the high-speed check valve in the main fuel nozzle. just a guess-- but it did launch hard!! The combonations are endless- agan- pardon the spelling.

Deluge

Nice. You got any pics of the throttle plate mod? I've been thinking about experimenting with a spring kit.

alfred e numan

plate mod

I photographed the first two plate mods, they were a small U shape. This idea -cut was replaced with a new plate with a right angle notch. 3/4 mm deep- 1/2 mm wide. I used a Dremel thin cut 1 1/2 cutting wheel mounted to a old Rockwell radial drill press - rotated the drill head so the cutoff wheels disc was vertical spinning about 4500 rpm, and very carefully held the plate with both hands- forefingers and thumbs and cut. - I did not photo this cut- sorry, next time i pull the carb i will photograph. After the cut, i just removed the burrs, left the 90 degree angles alone. To add to my short 2nd post- It is highly likely that the 3 stage filter was 99% of not being able to get the correct spark plug color on the high speed fuel needle -- just a guess until my next shipment arrives from DDM. Should be a 2 stage filter in the box. I have to wonder -- do the people that make the high horsepower engines mod the carbs? The 990 i bought blew off at 30+ psi. this is way to high. Mass produced. We have to do the adjusting, just like fiddeling with the fuel screws. As much as this helped the HY engine- I wonder what would happen to the hand built 5-7-8 horse power engines, those really would get with the program. There are only 3-4 types of springs in the kit that are useful- the rest are too heavy.- It was worth the 52 dollars shipped!!! The kit came from N.C. ---

alfred e numan

home built tester

Nearly all the 50-60 dollar pressure testers are a joke- no thank you. Little tiny dials, the pump is a hypo needle for a horse or some bovine. The dial on the left was bought many years ago. Made in Posen, IL. The zero to 60 psi can be bought at a decent auto parts store for 10-15 dollars- made in C='?a it is a high quality unit thats right with the old unit. Clean all fittings- remove every speck of copper burr fron the copper tubeing- use teflon tape to seal- very short section of 1/4 od -1/8 od tygon fuel line to the carb. On the input side- 3/16 fuel hose short as possable. slide a valve stem into the input end of the hose. Forget the air compresser. Use a long stroke bicycle tire pump with a quick release fitting. Learn to use this on a old HY carb. Very slowly pump air and listen to the carb while looking at the pressure dial. at the moment you here a pop- release the fitting on the tire pump. the dial will slowly lose pressure and stop at the reseat pressure. When you are ready to test the Walbro carbs- drain the gas tank and use the primer bulb to purge the gas out of the carb -- saves a big mess- puddled gas in the air filter- engine when the valve opens. Also- It is very important to pressure test this homemade set up under water- do not immerse the dial its self- just the fittings and valve core.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts