• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

WORN OUT CLUTCH BELLS SUCK!

Haroldbee

When you're having too much fun running you fifth-scale gas truck/car hard, clutch shoes wear out down to the metal. When they do and you're unaware of it, the bare metal of the worn-down shoes begins to grind down the area in the clutch bell where it makes abrasive contact. From then on, it's metal grinding against metal which you can often smell.

And how does this affect your vehicle's performance? Well, you might find that even after installing a new clutch it loses acceleration at full throttle. That's because the clutch shoes at full expansion cannot make full contact on the inner surface of the bell because much of the surface there is gone.

(The first picture shows a worn clutch bell. The second shows the obvious wear in more detail: the shiny part that's been worn down from a shoeless clutch and the darker part that constitutes the natural surface where the bare metal of a worn clutch did not affect.)

So, what's the moral of this post? Simple, if you drive your vehicle hard, be prepared to change your clutch often or you'll have to change your clutch bell as well. And it adds up.

PEACE!
20190731_121314.jpg photo_editor_ds_1564589034946.jpg

G-Man

I still find it crazy the clutch bell and shaft are no longer one piece. I put a new one in mine a few months ago. I thought it was the wrong bell. So far its holding up. I was a bit concerned seeing that tiny cross pin expecting it to break. Guess that is the fix to shaft breakage which I've broke 2 or 3 already.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts