• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Winterizing / Water Proofing

Trickle007

Contributor
Ok I live in the Northeast and winter is just around the corner. Who Runs there Rampages in the Snow? Is it ok to run them in the snow? And if so what are some things you do to water proof the electronics. Only reason I ask is cause i don't think i can go all winter and not run my Ramp lol I will go nuts. So just looking for some general ideas what you all do to run in the snow with out doing any damage to the truck if it is even advisable?

jackson

hey bud!

hey man where about's are you located?

allso there's a couple of vids on youtube about water profing!

my bet is if money is not an issue just get the water prof servos and eletronics box, but to be honest i'd get the servos! am in massachussets but don't intend to run my cat in the snow!

i use mi nitro in the snow!

Trickle007

Contributor
Hey Jackson I am from NJ.... You are a few hundred miles from me in RedSox land lol. But thanks for the reply, I am a little skeptical driving this beast in the snow i might just have to get a few more runs in this season then pack it in, and fly my indoor heli's till spring. TTYL.

krashkrieg

Contributor
If you are using HiTec servos, they VERY water resistant...

I run my Savage with 7955 steering....It has been packed with snow several times and have had no problems...

After that, I believe the only issue with the Rampage for snow is sealing the battery box...Not sure what I'll use long term, but some type Home D plumbing tape should work for starters.

krashkrieg

Contributor
Trickle007 said:
I am a little skeptical driving this beast in the snow
Just pick up a 100 to 120 PSI 3-5 gallon oiless air compressor and give it a good blow dry after each session and you'll be fine. :D

pipeous

You can get stuff called plasti dip. it's for tool handles. take the servos by the lead and dip the whole servo in the stuff. when it's dry use an exacto knife to trim the stuff away from the gear so the servo horn can fit on. a little vaseline around the gear before you put the horn on and it's totally waterproofed.

DemonRC

I've never had a problem with a servo getting water through the case. Servo's like the hitec have orings between the case pieces. The part you have to watch out for is the servo horn opening. Pipeous is right on using vaseline. That works. Also, you can cut the top off of a baby bottle nipple, use a reamer/drillbit/xacto to open the hole slightly smaller than the servo's spline and install it on the output spline before you put the horn on. It's works like a mini umbrella.

I waterproof my receiver box by installing a silicon switch cover used on alot of 1/8 scales. OFNA and Losi sell them. You will have to open up the switch hole with an xacto some to get it to fit. Once that's done you never have to worry about water in your switch. Then silicon caulk your hole where the wires exit and tape up the box and your good to go.

Trickle007

Contributor
My work is on alot of land so I have been bashing there and recently Krashkrieg been joing me. but i would love to find a nice dirt track to dive these on

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts