• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Will not start..

rroberson7805

All the sudden, out of nowhere my xt will not start, will not even think about srarting. Last time I ran it, about 2 weeks ago it sputtered a little but kept running. I had a busy day and had to just put it up and now I cannot get it to start at all. Checked the spark plug, pulled the carburetor and put a new tank of gas in and still nothing. Can anyone help me figure out something to try next or anything I can try to point out the problem? Drive train is fine and rolling great, both servos work fine and I'm lost. Any and all is greatly appreciated. View attachment 7864

Ice_2k

Try to lean the LSN a bit and also hold the Tx throttle while pulling.

Ice_2k

Yes, clockwise is lean (like any screw tightens clockwise, tightening it allows less fuel through)

rroberson7805

Finally got it started. Put a new spark plug in it and it cranked right up 1st pull. Ran for 20 min, in the meantime I was adjusting the high and low speed needles trying to get it right. Then all the sudden it will not crank again. Brand new spark plug did not look new anymore from inside half. Anyone know what's going on here? Am I messing up spark plugs? Seriously about to give up on this thing.

BertR

Your killing plugs because you are too rich on your settings! I have been in this game for a good long time and have had my share of hang ups but not bad enough to give up because a plug got fowled....reset your needles and pay attention to what you do to the carb so you can go back to it if you have issues in the future.

Rusty Nail

I'm pretty new to the scene too. I just got through hammering out some problems with my MT but with the help from these guys I was able to get it fixed. Took the whole motor apart...well just about. Don't give up...it's worth it. Most of the time I'm finding out it's starter error. :D

Ice_2k

rroberson7805 said:
Finally got it started. Put a new spark plug in it and it cranked right up 1st pull. Ran for 20 min, in the meantime I was adjusting the high and low speed needles trying to get it right. Then all the sudden it will not crank again. Brand new spark plug did not look new anymore from inside half. Anyone know what's going on here? Am I messing up spark plugs? Seriously about to give up on this thing.
Sounds like you're going way too rich

rroberson7805

Ok, thanks buddy. Will turn the needles down, clean the spark plug and try again this evening when I get off work. Really need to get it running and see how this Chinese 2 speed transmission works out.

rroberson7805

What's a good way to clean off the spark plug? Gas rag? And is light sandpaper too much if just used for a second? I'm guessing wire brush is what I should use.

BertR

rroberson7805 said:
What's a good way to clean off the spark plug? Gas rag? And is light sandpaper too much if just used for a second? I'm guessing wire brush is what I should use.
A fine wire brush is good

Phill

racetruck said:
What 2 stroke mix are you using 5oz to the gallon i hope. and what kind of oil?
I've found oil brand doesn't make any difference.

As long as it's a dirt bike oil it should be OK

racetruck

Phill said:
I've found oil brand doesn't make any difference.As long as it's a dirt bike oil it should be OK
it does make a difference when your trying to find out about an engine that don't run when it fouls plugs there's a reason for it i am trying to help so i need to know all the fact's

Phill

racetruck said:
it does make a difference when your trying to find out about an engine that don't run when it fouls plugs there's a reason for it i am trying to help so i need to know all the fact's
The amount of oil in the mix will make a difference but unless you're running really crap oil the brand shouldn't affect anything.

To each his own when it comes to these trucks.

WmWmson

Looks like an old thread but hope someone still looks here. I just got a Rampage XT. Ran about 1 1/2 tanks thru it when it started idling really high. Looked like the brass insert on the low needle was stripped out. Put a new card on it ran great for about 1 1/2 tanks then it just stalled. Have tried adjusting the carb and it will not start. If I work the throttle just right I can get it to start and keep running if I keep the throttle up. I'm thinking the 20:1 gas mix is gumming things out in the carb??? But that is what they say to use for the first 4 hours. Any one have any ideals what might be wrong?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.