• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Why is the MT so hard on shocks?

NitroBurn

Ok here is how it all went. Everyone knows the stock shocks are terrible, bad e-clips and all that. So I get the Phatdad replacements with better e-clips. Those failed before the first tank of gas. So I go and order the Bajampage setup with the heavy duty shafts and Baja cartridges to replace everything. I got out today to jump it around a little, nothing crazy just smaller jumps. After around 10 mins of running both rear shocks are toast. The plastic washers on the new shafts just aren't up to the task of keeping the piston in one place. It ripped the inner hub right out of the pistons. My bro is gonna turn some steel ones out on the lathe to replace them. Hopefully this will finally make things reliable. My theory is that MTs wheels and tires are so heavy that the shocks just aren't up to the task of slowing them down.

RampageHopUps

Sorry about that. Phatdad just called on Sunday and is sending replacement washers. He tired a new type of material for the washers, and didn't hold up to the abuse. I should be sending them to you in the next day or 2. I will send you new pistons too.

NitroBurn

Thanks Rob. Good to hear that you guys are taking care of the problems so quick.

PhatDad

NitroBurn did the teflon washer push down on the shaft or did the disk just come apart. Rob I mailed washers to you and I will send you some new disks as well. Sorry about the trouble .

NitroBurn

The washer stretched out and slipped down the shaft. I don't think the piston would have failed if it was still supported by the washer. It drove the keyed portion of the piston right out. You can see in the pic the washer is down below the shoulder it should be sitting on. Thanks again for getting right on it.

Sprint 77

Contributor
With the weight Of those monster tires The suspension is more demanded in tension pull. These trucks will benefit greatly with a suspension limiter. Even if it was just a tie wrap tied between the frame and the bottom arm. That is a majopr conrtributing factor to beating the piston to death.

Shiny

Sprint 77 said:
With the weight Of those monster tires The suspension is more demanded in tension pull. These trucks will benefit greatly with a suspension limiter. Even if it was just a tie wrap tied between the frame and the bottom arm. That is a majopr conrtributing factor to beating the piston to death.
I think so too.

I have a coupel of ideas, maby it is wort looking in to:

1) Is it possible to have 2 shocks at each corner? This will defiantly help, maybe even fix the problem.

2) What about the Titan/Gas Devil Hurricane Shocks they are huge. I never hade a problem with them till now. Just the occasional rebuild.

Kaz the Minotaur

My shocks really seem to stiffen up about 1/2 way compressed. What would cause this? Would drilling out the piston holes help?

NitroBurn

Kaz the Minotaur said:
My shocks really seem to stiffen up about 1/2 way compressed. What would cause this? Would drilling out the piston holes help?
It might be hydro lock. The shocks are designed to have a little air in them to take up the volume of the shaft. Make sure you squeeze all the oil out of the little foam pads in the cartridges before you install them. If you are using the 6mm shafts you may need to not quite fully fill them to the threads before screwing the cartridges in. The shocks are designed so that the first few strokes when you first start running will stir the air into the oil evenly before they will be consistent. Also push the shaft into the shock some as you screw the cartridges in. The air pressure should slowly push the shaft back out a bit after you compress it.

Last edited by a moderator:

NitroBurn

Your shock shaft may be bent a little. Are all your shocks doing it?

Gas Jocky

Sprint 77 said:
I agree with this, I've gone thru 3 shock shafts before I put the tie wraps on and none since, maybe just luck but it seems to help.

DDMmod2028.jpg

DDMmod2027.jpg

NitroBurn

My brother made some steel washers for my Phatdad Bajampage shafts on his lathe and so far they seem to be bullet proof. I lost a pin in one of the dog bones last run so I ordered some pins of slightly larger dia. from mcmastercarr. After I get the bones fixed I plan to test the shocks out thouroughly.

Sprint 77

Contributor
Shiny said:
You are tying the upper are to the Lowe arum. Shouldn’t be tied to the chases?
Yes it will even be more succusful tied to the Chassis. These big tires weigh so much and a lot of vibration and centrifical forces while spinning off a jump the are binding the botton range of shock just as bad or worse than bottoming out.

Shiny

A thout.

What about using rubber bands instead of soled ties? It will reduce the impact on all parts.

You now where I am going with that?

Sprint 77

Contributor
The limiter is supposed to go from any where on top of frame down to the lower arm. Lift the truck up and bareley compress the spring by rasing one tire. that is the length of the limiter.

Its job is to protect the limit of the shock from beating itself up as you jump the truck and unload the suspension. This slamming of the shock can tear it up as quickly as bottomoing it out itself.

MOfroggy

Sprint 77 said:
The limiter is supposed to go from any where on top of frame down to the lower arm. Lift the truck up and bareley compress the spring by rasing one tire. that is the length of the limiter.
Its job is to protect the limit of the shock from beating itself up as you jump the truck and unload the suspension. This slamming of the shock can tear it up as quickly as bottomoing it out itself.
So are you saying he has it hooked up right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts