• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

What motor to run

MSLR

Hi all

I have just installed the max 5 200amp esc and going to running a 8s set up. My question is what motor to run in the xbe and pinions. I like the leopard LBP58110/3D as its rated 210 amps. I know its a loaded question but before I spend my cash I need some direction.

Any advice would be much appreciated guys. :) :)

MSLR

Also looking at the skyrc Beast x524 2y. Has anyone tried one of these motors ?

chapinb

The 110 can will not fit well, even with the kershaw mount. If you have the 7075 mount, stick with 5692. If shershaw, the the 5898 fit well. The 58110 can can be difficult to fit due to pinion placemnt, but can be done.

No experience with the skyrc/beast motors but I'm sure they will be fine. Many, inclusive myself like the leopard.

For kv, 700-1000 is a good spot. If larger or taller tires (trenchers, something monstertruck) stay closer to 700.

MSLR

Thanks for the information guys. Can I asked why if I go to the bigger wheels

( hpi wheels ) later on I would need something in the 700kv range ? Can I not just change the pinion size. Or would it be better to start with a 700kv motor now. I am quite new to this 1/5 scale electric buggies. As for the 58110 motor I had another measure up and there is no way it would fit in. Look forward to your reply's

Cheers :)

chapinb

What motor mount do you have?

Hardened pinions smaller than 10 are harder to find. For instance, a 730kv with 48 spur, 10 pinion and trenchers, I feel I'm geared well. With the 1090kv, I was overgeared. Neither is wrong, but the 700 kv give more flexibility.

MSLR

I haven't got a motor mount as of yet. Thinking of making my own one as seen a few. I will have to invest in some pinions as will need them as the new motor will be 8mm. At the moment the spur is 41t and if I go for a 910kv motor not sure what size pinion ? . Any suggestions on were to start

MSLR

Ok I am leaning towards the Leopard 5698 2y 910kv for my xbe. My next question is what size pinion is every one running. My spur gear is 41t and running on standard wheels. Thanks in advance guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:

chapinb

If running the 98mm can, you need to run the kershaw mount. If running the kershaw mount, get the 5898, pending price. Kershaw has them in stock. Same diameter innards can but has cooling fins (hence the larger diameter). A 12 tooth is a good place to start.

MSLR

Thanks for the info. Is it a big issue if I go with the 5698 over the 5898 ie with cooling issues would I need to run a fan for the motor. As for the pinions is Kershaw design pinions the best to use.

Cheers :)

chapinb

Nope, the 5698 is still larger than the normal conversion and will run just fine without a fan.

I'm not a fan of kershaws pinions. His aluminum ones broke on a plastic spur and his hardened pinions chipped on my revo with a metal spur. Others milage may vary.

Robinson racing pinions, however are top notch. But discontinued.

Any way you go, make sure they are hardened.

strodedawg

rc-monster sells hardened pinions i run them on my xb-e and wear is great on the losi steel spur

xboxice

i run mine on the Leoprd 4092 930kv 41T 11T and a full very hard 10mins run will see temps of 75c i now have x3 fan installed on mine because im not comfortable with those tems :) thou Leopard say this motor is good for 210c 220

Neodym (Max. 210 degrees C)

Pure Copper (Max. 220 degrees C)

chapinb

75c is a good temp, upper end of where I'm conformable. 210c is over 400f. Bad bad bad. 200f is the rough max of most brushless motors.

Dr_T

Hi, I'm a bit late to the party, but thought I'd chime in just in case.

You can make the 58110 or a 2028 fit with the Kershaw mount when mounted in the rear holes (see pics below). It does require drilling an additional hole in the chassis though, and because of space required for the motor mounting screws, pinion is limited to max 13T. Which might not be a problem if you run bigger tires, but for me it was a reason to start with the 5898-1100kv, as I like small and light tires.

Here's some info on mine: http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=15132. I'm currently running 13/41 gearing on stock 155 mm tires, for 50-66mph no-load wheel-speed on 6S and 8S respectively based on measured 1165kv.

I don't exactly know how much difference a finned vs smooth can makes ito temperatures, but I do recommend some motor cooling. There's a lot of plug and play coolers around, and just gives you some extra headroom. Gearing depends a bit on what you want from it: a 910kv on the stock 155mm tires on 8S with 12/41, 13/41, 14/41 or 15/41 gearing is set-up for 48, 52, 56, or 60 mph unloaded.

Leopard 58110 vs 5898 (note motor mount in standard forward position):

dr_t-albums-vader-picture34348-photo-1-24.jpg

Motor mount in rear position to fit in 58110 or 2028 sized motors - pinion limited to 13T due to motor mounting screws:

dr_t-albums-vader-picture34210-photo-1-21.jpg

Dr_T

xboxice said:
i run mine on the Leoprd 4092 930kv 41T 11T and a full very hard 10mins run will see temps of 75c i now have x3 fan installed on mine because im not comfortable with those tems :) thou Leopard say this motor is good for 210c 220Neodym (Max. 210 degrees C)

Pure Copper (Max. 220 degrees C)
Great you're having good luck with the 4092 size. Are you running 11/41 with that on 8S? I tried one in a 5 kg 1/8 truggy once, and couldn't even gear it for ~50 mph no-load on 6S without overheating:

Yeah, I don't want to see higher than 75C on the can either. That 220C demag temp does not say much though, as with a magnetic field working on the magnets, permanent demagnetization will occur way earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.