• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

what do you guys know about running high octane fuel??

BIZCO-RC

like on the 30cc engines like maybe 100 octane???

Triggerman77

Contributor
It should run like a Raped Ape :D I use to run 110+ race gas in my dirt bikes and four wheelers. Keep in mind It will not like regular gas after running it for awhile

powerslave69

That's funny

Triggerman77 said:
It should run like a Raped Ape :D I use to run 110+ race gas in my dirt bikes and four wheelers. Keep in mind It will not like regular gas after running it for awhile
dunno much about pushing anything to it's limit, except my wife's patience,don't ask, it wasn't pretty. But i know when you do something to any motor that's it's not meant for it, it will eventually break something. Price you have to pay for a short burst of fun. I even read once one guy thinking about running nitro fuel on our gas motor. Good luck. Old adage applies here "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" and to that I say "Amen" which I just found out actually mean "I agree" I must have said this word a gazillion times and never knew what it meant, till' now, that is. go figure :D

Last edited by a moderator:

powerslave69

money to burn

BIZCO-RC said:
i think im going to try 110 this weekend
I love guys (in a straight, heterosexual kind of way!) :D who got money to burn. :eek: Good luck guys. I got a 62cc Skopod motor sitting in my room. Think I'll just wait till'' I can figure out a way to make that bad boy sit on my XT. Till' then, I'll stick to gasoline, thank u very much.

Deluge

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that higher octane fuels are only beneficial in high compression situations. The higher the octane rating, the more detonation resistance the fuel has. It doesn't have any more power than, let's say 89 octane. Also, 89 octane would provide more thermal energy than 100+ octane. So, unless you're running an ultra high compression engine, you won't see any benefit. I'd stick with 91 octane, which is what is recommended.

Triggerman77

Contributor
D. good theory but It makes a Difference !

I have ran Cam2 and 110+ and Methanol In every thing from Racing carts to Racing ATV's and MX Bikes for 16 years

forist

Contributor
91 is the lowest recommended for these motors here is what is says for a 29cc from DDM

Chung Yang CY29RC engine, Engine requires 91 octane (using the R+M/2 octane rating method) or higher fuel, mixed 25:1 with 2-cycle oil (5 ounces per gallon).

Deluge

Triggerman77 said:
D. good theory but It makes a Difference !
I have ran Cam2 and 110+ and Methanol In every thing from Racing carts to Racing ATV's and MX Bikes for 16 years
I'm assuming these are modified, high compression engines? In that situation, I could see where high octane fuel would be beneficial, but in this case, with these 2 strokes, you would see little to no benefit.

powerslave69

what this means is....

forist said:
91 is the lowest recommended for these motors here is what is says for a 29cc from DDM
Chung Yang CY29RC engine, Engine requires 91 octane (using the R+M/2 octane rating method) or higher fuel, mixed 25:1 with 2-cycle oil (5 ounces per gallon).
What this discussion boils down to is this, in my humble opinion, “who’s got more money to burn?” I mean when you cross the line, there will be consequences, and you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know that, which by the way is and always been a “stupid phrase” but that’s another thread. So when you decide to push the envelope and get out of your comfort zone,2 things will happen, either you will discover a new frontier and discover we can use high octane or crash N’ burn and that’s where the “lot of money to burn” theory come in. hey, if Chuck Yeager didn’t gamble with his life and break the sound barrier and go MACH 1 in 1947? we’d all still be traveling Europe at a snail pace twiddling our thumb along the way. But me personally, am not a “Chuck Yeager” kind of guy and will choose to sit this one out and let the next guy do it. But I’ll be rooting for him though and hopefully if he succeed he’ll share his experience with us then we can all run high octane fuel to a 91% octane motor which was specifically NOTED in your MANUAL! :D and will most likely piss off the guys who built our motors coz’ we crossed the line :D one name worth mentioning CY which actually stand for Chung Yang, but you guys already know that. Now there’s one trivia for you. How the hell did Mr. Yang decided one day smoking his hash hish(did I spell that right?) somewhere in the vast land of China and went “dang it, I’ll build a 2-stroke mechanized mode of internal combustion engine and name it after myself and let those bored guys in the US go bashing with it while the rest of the population in China were busy contributing to the population explosion. Mr. Yang though a genius in his chosen field, must have been one ugly dude and no girl wanted to be with him, and as such misfortune, we ended up being the beneficiary of his predicament bcoz' his shortage in the "looks" department stuck with him like "ugly to a monkey" Folks in this ancient land were doing some serious F****** to come up with more than 1 billion inhabitants. That is a lot more than all the hamburgers Mc Donald ever sold! Boy, this post just got derailed. Amazing what you can come up with when you can’t go out and bash bcoz’ of this stupid rainy day:D hehe

Deluge

With these engines, 87 is the lowest you can go, from experience. Some guys run Coleman fuel, which is believed to be about 55. Honestly, anything above 91 is a waste.

DemonRC

Deluge said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that higher octane fuels are only beneficial in high compression situations. The higher the octane rating, the more detonation resistance the fuel has. It doesn't have any more power than, let's say 89 octane. Also, 89 octane would provide more thermal energy than 100+ octane. So, unless you're running an ultra high compression engine, you won't see any benefit. I'd stick with 91 octane, which is what is recommended.
Your absolutely right Deluge. Octane rating has nothing to do with power. It's a rating on a additive to prevent pre-detonation in engines. Here's a quote straight outta Wiki:

Wikipedia said:
Octane is a gas 2,2,4-trimethylpentane (iso-octane) and heptane which is used as a reference standard to describe the tendency of Gasoline, Petrol, or Benzin fuels to self ignite during compression prior to the desired position of the piston in the cylinder as appropriate for valve and ignition timing. The problem of premature ignition is referred to as pre-ignition and also as engine knock, which is a sound that is made when the fuel ignites too early in the compression stroke.
Now with that being said I believe high octane race fuels do have their benifits which has nothing to do with the octane level. Race fuels are much cleaner than pump gas in the fact that they do not have alot of additives for enviromental protection, detergents for cleaning deposits, etc.

forist

Contributor
Here is a video I found not RCs but good info. looks like higher octane fuel do work better with higher end motors.

[ame=

[MEDIA=youtube]dDHwCWdrtdg[/MEDIA][/ame]

big poppa

What about having ethanol mixed in the gas? Around where I live the 87 & 91 octane have 10% ethanol in it. However, the 93 octane has no ethanol added. This is the only reason I was leaning toward the 93. If ethanol won't make a difference, I will stick with the 91 octane. I am new to 1/5th scale as I should be getting my XT on Thursday. Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.