• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

What do I need to fix this front hub issue

Michaels12

I took the grand sons (5 & 10) to drive the MT yesterday.

We had fun , but it ended on a broke outer drive hub.

I read about using a front axle (50032) with a 002-2-DS-2 - MCD Rear drive shaft (Dog Bone) EVO2 & EVO3.

Is this the route to go?

It chewed a bit of the plastic hub, so I'm looking for clarification on compatability

of the available aluminum parts....in another thread.

I suppose this could have been a inferior part ( pinned outer cvd rupture)

as I didn't read about a lot of failures.

What's the general consensus?

Thank you for your time...

jwoods81

What version MT do you have?

Depending on the amount of chew is taken from the hub it may be a better idea to replace the hub. Why look at replacing the axle and binding that with a DB?

I have not been around the MT's for a long time but I also snapped my hub and looking at the points of failure I almost want to say it is do to the suspension arms being adjusted wrong by me so I made sure not to crank them too tight or loose.

I'm sure RCDAD can give some great insight :)

G

The drive cups and dog bone setup seems to be more durable for a lot of us.

Suspension droop increases the shaft angle which is hard on either CVDs or dogbones. You can adjust the droop screws on the lower suspension arms to keep the shafts as level as possible.

Driving style will prolong the life of the drivetrain. On throttle landings are bad.

Michaels12

This is a V3, but it's a hybrid? It has the 4 pin gear set...

I wouldn't think it was drive style, and it hasn't really caught much air.

I'll post the pics of the failure, and my take on the solution.

I'm not adding much to the affore mentioned solution, but it should

be an improvement.

Thanks to RCDAD for getting parts to me quickly.

Top notch service !

rob64n

Contributor
A lot of of early guys ran the MCD dogbones due to pins coming out, now for some V3 owners some issues with dogbones are the unequal lengths, So on my sons V3 I swapped dogbones I had for my V1 and the binding issue was no longer a problem. I have had several and not one truck has been identical, so each one has had it's own personality, lol

GTS 666

rob64n said:
A lot of of early guys ran the MCD dogbones due to pins coming out, now for some V3 owners some issues with dogbones are the unequal lengths, So on my sons V3 I swapped dogbones I had for my V1 and the binding issue was no longer a problem. I have had several and not one truck has been identical, so each one has had it's own personality, lol
I ve got a V1 and its been sweet. Maybe they only manufacture on Mondays and Fridays that's why we all have different issues.

1RC5

On the latest batch of V3s with the 32cc engine, do they suffer the same failure? I want to install a higher powered engine and would like to have all the weak points addressed before doing so.

Thank you.

scooby61

I have the 32cc only had it for about a month and a half but it's been through some pretty serious bashes so far no issue. I've had bad landings on one tire and flipped it no problem it keeps asking for more. So far the only failure I've had was a bad rear hub bearing and the coil was bad out of the box but red cat replaced that right away. I already new the factory bearings were not great so I got the fast eddy kit.

scooby61

Yes I haven't installed any but the wheel hubs so far but the bearings seem of much better quality and for 34.00 can't beat the price

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.