• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Weedwacker motor

rawb4291

I know that these MT's have a weekwacker motor in them. having said that, could you take a weekwacker engine out of a weekwacker and use it? I'm just curious to see if you can do it.

designed2survive

@rawb4291

Unless the weedwacker uses the same engine you find in your RC, you will need to fabricate all of the attachments necessary (clutch housing, engine mount and or braces). There will be too much involve to make it worth it in my opinion (there are so many engines available that are straight drop in).

crankestein

Banned
There was this guy in YT and he was able to slap a weedwacker engine, it was very depressing to watch.

The guy swore he had achieved the greatest thing ever, doing 5mph laps in his driveway. It steered like a school bus and stiff as a on-road car. The only thing to make it great was to change the title to, my 7th grade project and have a kid driving it, then maybe the video had some hope w a shower of thumbs up, but that was not the case.

Last edited:

rawb4291

@rawb4291

Unless the weedwacker uses the same engine you find in your RC, you will need to fabricate all of the attachments necessary (clutch housing, engine mount and or braces). There will be too much involve to make it worth it in my opinion (there are so many engines available that are straight drop in).
Ya I thought that it wouldn't be too easy. Lol. I'm pretty sure that I have the first gen MT because it's like 8 years old. Mine has the 23cc engine in it. Down the road I might put the 32cc engine in it.

crankestein

Banned
That drivetrain must be new with such a small engine.
Wow still have that 23 on that truck.

It will be night and day from a 23 to a 32 full crank engine w a pipe, some minor port work and a 8k clutch spring, to unleash all that power.

rawb4291

That drivetrain must be new with such a small engine.
Wow still have that 23 on that truck.

It will be night and day from a 23 to a 32 full crank engine w a pipe, some minor port work and a 8k clutch spring, to unleash all that power.
Well i forgot to mention that it does have a upgraded air filter and muffler.

crankestein

Banned
Interesting to hear from someone having the truck for such considerable time.

So, what things continuously break, or every so often?
Its weak point and what have you done to make the truck bash proof?

(or lets say, at least reliable to run a few tanks and have some fun...)

rawb4291

Interesting to hear from someone having the truck for such considerable time.

So, what things continuously break, or every so often?
Its weak point and what have you done to make the truck bash proof?

(or lets say, at least reliable to run a few tanks and have some fun...)

Well, I just got it from a friend who had it sitting in his room for that long. When he first got it he crashed it a couple times. He never run it after that because he was scared to break it again. Lol. But I've driven it a few times and only broke the upper suspension arm. ( from crashing into a tree) but if something breaks I'm replacing the plastic parts with the aluminum ones.

MTKelley

Ya I thought that it wouldn't be too easy. Lol. I'm pretty sure that I have the first gen MT because it's like 8 years old. Mine has the 23cc engine in it. Down the road I might put the 32cc engine in it.
I just don't see a 23cc motor being able to move the MT very well lol I got a V3 MT last week, I broke in the 32cc motor really well, tuned it, and it has some impressive performance entirely stock but I'm looking forward to installing a tuned pipe on it, from the videos the tuned pipe gives it damn near close to double the power

Phill

I just don't see a 23cc motor being able to move the MT very well lol I got a V3 MT last week, I broke in the 32cc motor really well, tuned it, and it has some impressive performance entirely stock but I'm looking forward to installing a tuned pipe on it, from the videos the tuned pipe gives it damn near close to double the power

I was given a 2WD Dunerunner with a 25cc CY in it a while back.
No idea how old it is but it had been in the guys lawn locker for 5 years.
Before that hid grandkids used to play with it.
Still had the stock can on it when I got it.
Put a new carby and a KM Ghost pipe that I had laying around and it flies.
Surprised me.
You can see it running here.

Last edited:

Redredcat0223

Nice but you keep tunnining it pegged wide open like that and it ain’t gonna keep runnin lol,I believe the cy motors are better than the hy if someone disagrees please let me know why as I also am still learning thanks but you have slot of work to do on that mt,I would put a 320 zenoah in it with a ddm or jet pro exhaust ,Baja wheel adapters and different wheels and tires cause your gonna have issues with yours it’s just a matter of time for how old it is and upgrade your set is then whatever breaks from there replace it with a brand new stout part

Redredcat0223

Sorry the screen on my phone was blocked by an ad. Lol I meant replace the servos all of them and whatever else breaks after that just replace it with a new stout part ,sorry for the messed up writing in the first message,hope you have fun with your new truck and the advice you get off of this site is awesome!!!

Phill

Sorry the screen on my phone was blocked by an ad. Lol I meant replace the servos all of them and whatever else breaks after that just replace it with a new stout part ,sorry for the messed up writing in the first message,hope you have fun with your new truck and the advice you get off of this site is awesome!!!
Thanks for the advice but this isn't my first 1/5
CY and HY are both crap that's why I run Zenoah in my other car.
This one is just something to muck around with.
BTW You don't have to pay big money for wheel adaptors.
King Motor and Rovan wheel hexes fit straight on MT , TT and DR axles and are about $3 each.

Last edited:

Redredcat0223

Thanks for the advice but this isn't my first 1/5
CY and HY are both crap that's why I run Zenoah in my other car.
This one is just something to muck around with.
BTW You don't have to pay big money for wheel adaptors.
King Motor and Rovan wheel hexes fit straight on MT , TT and DR axles and are about $3 each.
I got ya man didn’t mean any disrespect ,I didn’t know you had other 1/5 scales ,I was just tryin to help and ya I know the hey and cry are crap that’s why I said I would put a zenoah in it but I was just curious if the cy was better then the hy because I’ve heard that a bunch of times but have always wondered cause in my 1st truck the xt I have I put every power upgrade you could on it and I beat the shit out of it and it still runs strong and has the stock 30cc hy ,I think they are just hit or miss but I’m just waiting for it to go so I can throw a zenoah in it,and the wheel adapters,I have to get them for my XT,can I still get them that cheap?thanks for any help and once I’m done with mine I’ll throw up some pics ,I found a guy in California that makes complete cages for the XT’s I mean like he will make it look like a full cage like they run on those buggy’s with the big bores in them and I love that look and I could never find anyone who made them ,I was about to buy a little stick welder and make my own but he’s gonna make them and start producing them ,and after the xt he said he would work on the mt and so on,he will make 3 versions one to fit my truck with a side pipe,one for people with stock exhaust and one with people who have a rear exit like a jet pro which is freakin awesome but as soon as mine is done I’m gonna paint or prob powder coat it then I’ll post pics and his info,sorry for the book I wrote, lol

Phill

If you search ebay for King Motor Rear Wheel 24mm Hex Hubs (2) HPI Baja 5B 2.0 Rovan Buggy & Truck you'll find em.
Plenty of places sell em so just go for the cheapest.
I don't know if they'll fit the XT though.
They fit straight on 12mm axles but the XT may be smaller.
I run a Jetpro rear mount on my other DR and they're great.
I put a silencer on mine but it's still not neighbour friendly.
Dino sells the silencers along with the pipes.
The 30.5cc CY that came with my 1st DR fell apart real quick so I went Zenoah.
The little 25cc in the one I was given is running fine after all this time so I'm not touching it while it's still going.
They started making 2WD DRs in 2000 and going by the engine number I think mine is one of the very early ones.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online