• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Volcano

Biermanx3

Ok so I'm just getting back into RC cars. So i just got the volcano pro, and well a few things happened. So I plugged in the lipo that came with it like I have done many times since I've gotten the truck. And there was this smoke, now the motor don't work, esc won't turn on and the battery I chucked incase it was the cause. Yes I properly disposed of the battery pack. And also now the charger won't even charger the other lipo bat I have. So I called redcat and talked to a guy, who was very nice to talk to. Informed him what was going on and asked where I should send in the broken stuff and how to send due to im at a APO address, they don't like us sending this kind of stuff but we can get it mailed to us. I was shocked when told just fill out a form and tell what happened. So is this how it's done? I ran nitro and with traxxas I had to send in the part. Any info would be great on this. I just sent the form in and how long to hear back and how fast is it shipped out.

Biermanx3

Volcano

No thanks is needed. I love what I do and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm glad that they do this and make it easer for me when stuff malfunction like it did. I plan to do many upgrades to this car and one day hope to find a better motor/esc also. I'm new to brushed/brushless anything. I was a nitro man and missing them as they sit in storage for the next few years. I'm got to say this little truck is a blast, so much so I got my son the sandstorm 1/10th brushed car. And here in a few min will order the 1/24 sumo rc for my little son. Since there isn't much to do here this will be a way for us to bond more and get them away from video games and outside. i may not even upgrade the motors in the car but from redcat. I'm liking how they talked to me and with getting info and what happened and if they do replace what bro which is 4 items I think ill stay with redcat for a very long time. Thanks for the info.

RampageHopUps

Alright, have fun with them.

Make sure you get rechargeable batteries for the Sumo. It east the AAs up. Cool Little truck for kids.

Kershaw Designs

Advertiser
Vendor
That's awesome!! Good to hear about redcat. I've been into traxxas for years and last year I sold em off so I could get a rampage mt. Best decision I've made.

We just started carrying the volcano and sandstorm as an alternative to the slash/stampede. I have nothing but good things to say about them. To find out just how hearty these are, we have put our shop/demo volcano to the test. Started out with a brushed version and we were having a hard time breaking things. We stepped up to a hobbywing ezrun and leopard brushless motor that was supposed to run on 2s. It ended up being setup for 3s so I decided to really test it and left it set that way. WOW. Thing is fast. So far it has held up incredibly well. Some things to address are the 12mm hubs. On 3s it spun the axle pin through the middle of the 12mm hub. Literally hollowed out the middle of the plastic hub! So metal hubs are must, along with wheel nuts with a flange to hold the wheel on better than the stock nuts. Other than that only other problem we've seen is the grub screws on the driveshaft cups loosen up so they need some thread lock.

Awesome truck overall. I hope you have the same experience after you get it back up and running. Please keep us informed on your opinion of this truck. I'm interested to hear about the pro version.

Biermanx3

i was also into tracts and still have my t-max in storage well all 3 of them lol. the volcano pro is awesome and a joy to drive. its the first eletric car i have owned. i just may not go back to nitro after this. may go gas powered but not back to nitro just eletric for me just need to learn whats what and how to mod it out to make it just a monster.

Biermanx3

Reply from redcat

Hello,

we apologize for the issues and thank you for filling out the warranty form. Unfortunately we cannot ship LiPo batteries overseas or through USPS so we cannot ship you a replacement LiPo. Typically in this situation we do not see the motor or the charger as damaged/defective. We can send you a replacement ESC if you would prefer. Please let us know if you are comfortable with this option.

Let's just say,I'm not to happy about this. ESC I need the motor i need also or car won't move at all. Bettery sucks they can't ship to me and we'll charger not cool they won't send ether but maybe I should get a new charger that's way faster in charging it anyway. But if they won't send out motor I may not buy from them again. I have two other cars coming no from redcat the sandstorm and the little 1/24 style car. Both are for my boys. I also planned to upgrade them as much as the wife will let me. May be time for me to look for some other company to buy from. But for now I'll wait to see how to reply back to my message back to them.

Ice_2k

Are the motor and ESC both fried? Did you try with a working battery pack? Just to be clear, is Redcat saying they won't replace the motor and ESC under warranty because it's not their fault the battery had an issue?

P.S. Maybe a stupid question, but... if they can't ship LiPos (which seems plausible, given their "might explode" issues), how did they ship the 1st one, that came with the car?

Biermanx3

Redcat

It is as through Amazon in the box. It's strange how if it's with a whole truck the battery comes with it it can ship. But by its self they can't ship to apo address. I have tried with anouther battery and esc. The old ESC won't turn on and when I plug the motor into a friends car the motor won't work ether. So im dead in the water. I know something's going wrong and they are like this is new but it happened and I neew all of this but will just just take motor and esc. I'll go find the hobby store in spain to get a new charger and battery even though it will cost a ton out of my pocket

Ice_2k

Since so much of the car is fried, maybe you should propose sending the whole rig back, have them replace all the problematic parts (LiPo, motor, ESC) and ship it back.

Biermanx3

ok sent them a email saying since you can't ship a battery by its self and so much has went to crap just ship me a whole new car. hope they do it cause i have 2 other car on the way for my sons they want to race with me

Ice_2k

Not sure they'll agree with shipping an entire new car, since then they'll also be stuck with a used chassis which they can't sell. The idea was to ship back your car and have them replace the damage parts on it, then ship it back to you.

Biermanx3

Truck

I would so ship them the truck but the post office won't let me ship it. I can get it shipped to me but I can't ship that kind of stuff out from this location.

Biermanx3

Update

Thank you all for the support. I called redcat and explained in detail what was going on. They are sending me the motor, ESC and charger. The only thing is they can't send me a replacement lipo battery. So I now have to find a way to get a battery.

Biermanx3

Does anyone know if the 2S lipo is the biggest battery that can go on the volcano pro? Would like to get bigger batteries for it so it lasts longer once I get to put all the new stuff in it. Found a place here where I got two 2S lipo batteries for only 60 bucks for both of them. For 80 bucks could of got 3S but don't know if the motor or ESC would be able to handle it.

Ice_2k

If you only want more duration, you can stick to 2S but get better capacity (more mAh)

RampageHopUps

The 2S is the strength of the battery, not the length of time it lasts. It will be plenty fast for them. Look for 2S batteries with a higher capacity in MaH, probably in the 5,000 range?

Biermanx3

Ok thanks was looking for more power,speed and longer run times. I'll look in the morning what MAH my new ones are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.