• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Venting the tank

Jammer429

I keep reading on this. I just wanted to see what the advantages are. I feel like my dune runner should be a bit more snappy. I ordered my dominator pipe today and next up is the walbro 990. but as for the venting of the times what all does it really help?

cordy

Stops vapor lock. When your engine is hard to start it`s or running irraticaly most likely its vapor lock.Also the fuel line comming out of your gas cap will keep your engine running if your upside down.Have you put in an 8000 lb clutch spring,it will be more snappy off the line.

G

The vent does not improve performance. It just fixes a problem. If the tank can't breath, the engine will stall due to fuel starvation(vacuum lock). It can also cause the opposite problem. If there is fuel left in the tank it expands from sitting out in the sun or heat. The expanded fuel can get pushed into the carb and engine flooding it out.

G

They are common. You can find them at several stores. If you just want the spring DDM has them for a few bucks. They can be a pain to install. I prefer to get the whole clutch set.

Jammer429

and just to be sure. the one from the hpi baja will fit correct?

G

and just to be sure. the one from the hpi baja will fit correct?
For the spring yes. For the clutch set you want to make sure it is for the CY.

Jammer429

mmk you said 8000lb I am seeing things like 6000 rpm. is that what you meant?

G

bigboysrctoys said:
what are you guys using for the venting? I have checked all the auto parts stores around here and none have what looks like would work.
I just added a third hole in the grommet.

-

0c62370a.jpg

G

Jammer429 said:
mmk you said 8000lb I am seeing things like 6000 rpm. is that what you meant?
6000rpm is what they come with.

There is a 6000,7500,8000, & 9500rpm spring.

cordy

The simplest vent is take a 8/32 fuel nipple(avaialable at your local hobby shop. Drrill a small hole in your gas cap,thread the nipple in then run a piece of fuel tubing from the nipple up and out. Look at the gas cap. 100_0693.jpg

Jammer429

Again I appreciate all the help. I think I might buy just the spring this time. I think a set of spring pliers for drums brakes might make it a bit easier to install...or maybe not :)

G

It can be done, just kind of a PIA.

If you get the red painted ones, strip the paint off the ends of the spring. It will help some.

G

Jammer429 said:
looks like I could do the 8000 or the 9500 not sure which would be the better choice
8000 is plenty. The stock engines don't rev as high as the worked over versions. 9500 is to close to the top of the RPM range for these engines. The 9500 is a drivetrain killer as well. You will find the 8000 makes a huge difference in the launch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts