• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Unable to stop

copey2019

Afternoon all, so today I took my rampage mt 1/5 out for a spin, my son decided to drive it into a tree..not good.. when this happened It wouldn't stop as in it lost all signal and wouldn't respond even when I got close to it no response.. I finally got a hold of it and pressed the kill switch it stopped yet when I took my finger off the button it carried on ... no way of stopped it until I pulled the HT lead off the top of the spark plug.

My concern now is ...did the car go out of control due to no single from controller etc and is there a way to cut the engine completely from remote??

Phill

Afternoon all, so today I took my rampage mt 1/5 out for a spin, my son decided to drive it into a tree..not good.. when this happened It wouldn't stop as in it lost all signal and wouldn't respond even when I got close to it no response.. I finally got a hold of it and pressed the kill switch it stopped yet when I took my finger off the button it carried on ... no way of stopped it until I pulled the HT lead off the top of the spark plug.

My concern now is ...did the car go out of control due to no single from controller etc and is there a way to cut the engine completely from remote??

Install a remote kill switch
Killer Bee is a good one

copey2019

Do you know the reasons why it would ..runaway?

mdknightrider

ABSOFREAKEN LUTLY! GET A KILLER RC KILL SWITCH. What type of controller are you working with? If using a SPECTRUM DX4C The KILL SWITCH CAN BE SHUT OFF REMOTELY, Also if anything happens with the radio, or the receiver losing power, IT WILL NOT LET YOU START IT, until ALL BATTERIES are CHARGED OR REPLACED. What you are doing is creating a circuit basically, if any part of the circuit is dead or faulty IT WILL NOT START. try that and see what happens. Good luck. This is what the KILLERRC KILL SWITCH looks like, the ones I got came with the free buzzer and I had to order the L E D separately, other than that it came to about $80.00 dollars. Best investment ive EVER MADE. Contact me on here if you need help installing one.

Attachments

• krc-ks-sbk3-super-bee-kill-switch-car-kit-2000px-w-graphic_480x480.jpg
    krc-ks-sbk3-super-bee-kill-switch-car-kit-2000px-w-graphic_480x480.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 6

pfrederi1

mdknightrider any ideas??
I wish i could say the same for the killer bee kill switch. Ive had engine start issues and cutting off with it since i installed and had to remove a couple times and the engine problems went away. But now I want to try putting it back on again because Ive had a couple runaway issues. SCARY with this monster on the loose.

So same issue comes back. It works to kill the engine but if i try to turn, yes turn, if i turn left the engine shuts off. Freekin weird. Im fed up with this thing. I know all about the spark plug and try new spark plug etc. Ive done all that. Its almost like when i turn left something shorts out (more likely opens) and cuts off the engine.

Phill

I wish i could say the same for the killer bee kill switch. Ive had engine start issues and cutting off with it since i installed and had to remove a couple times and the engine problems went away. But now I want to try putting it back on again because Ive had a couple runaway issues. SCARY with this monster on the loose.

So same issue comes back. It works to kill the engine but if i try to turn, yes turn, if i turn left the engine shuts off. Freekin weird. Im fed up with this thing. I know all about the spark plug and try new spark plug etc. Ive done all that. Its almost like when i turn left something shorts out (more likely opens) and cuts off the engine.

Just a thought but maybe your steering servo is pulling enough current to trip the low voltage feature on the switch?
I use Outlaw RC kill switches with no problems.
About $100 cheaper than Killer Bee down here.

mdknightrider

Well let's see if we can figure something out. What type of RADIO are you using, what type of steering servo are you using, throttle servo, exetera. Did you RUN IT THRU WATER, MUD, ANYTHING WET? I ask because the KILLER BE IS NOT, AND I REPEAT NOT WATER PROOF, so if that is the case, a simple fix is to go to a any place that sells BALLOONS and put that around the killer bee, TO KEEP WATER OUT. What I did was put the killer bee in the balloon and close the top of the balloon with a bread tie. Also if you do not have one already, you might consider getting a WATERPROOF STEERING SERVO that might help. Let me know if I can further be of help.

pfrederi1

Thanks for the input guys.

Both my servos are waterproof but no i don't run it thru water. Hell I dnt run it when its wet outside at all but i have the waterproof servos anyway. When i have the killer bee hooked up its always tucked away in the receiver box along with the receiver and battery. Not watertight but again i dnt run it thru water. Ive checked the all the linkage to make sure nothing is binding.

My Rampage setup:
- Futaba (3PV Radio)
- Futaba Receiver (R304SB)
- Single HiTec (D845WP) steering servo setup
- SAVOX (SW0230MG) Throttle\Brake servo

I can turn right all day long and engine does not shutoff but when i turn left it shuts off. It would be fine if i just wanted to go straight or right all day long and use turning left as my killswitch LOL!!! Because thats how its functioning like turning left is the killswitch. I sent the engine back to OBR initially because i was thinking it was the engine back when i was having similar issue when the engine would just shutoff (with killer bee hooked up). They said they found nothing wrong with the engine and I had to end up paying for shipping there and back and for labor for nothing. So i removed the kill switch and didnt seem to have the problem anymore but had a couple runaways w/o the kill switch installed so i was trying to give the kill switch another try.

HELP PLEASE!! Big Memorial Day wkd coming up and i would like to have the BEAST in full operating order. With that said Memorial Day wkd lots of families and kids are out. I dnt want another runaway again and have the BEAST takeout some kids and picnic tables LOL!!! :)

BTW i dnt run in close proximity to the above described so. But on wide open this thing can cover some serious ground quick.

Any help is appreciated!!!

pfrederi1

Have you got an old steering servo you can try just to see if it is a fault with the current one?

Hey Phill no i dnt have a spare steering servo laying around. Also I was thinking if its the servo it should do it whether i have the killswitch installed or not but it only does it when the killswitch is installed. i know weird right??

edl

Do have the wiring correct? is the killer bee hooked directly to the receiver or is it pig tailed into the servos, & is your transmitter set to a dedicated button for the kill switch.

pfrederi1

My Killewr bee is hooked up as recommended by killer bee diagram. thru the receiver. no fancy wiring.

I posted my latest update under my post "Killer bee Issues (Need Help)"

Thanks for the input guys.

I only use the NGK CMR7H plugs. Thats the first easy thing I tried was swapping out plugs with new ones but problem still persists. Thats another issue all together on why the runaways are happening. i would definitely like to know that myself. But then if we knew that killer bee would be out of business right. lol

Was out testing it out yetserday and thought that maybe I should check the EPA settings. I had it set at 80% for both left and right steering. So being its cutting out when i turn left i decided to adjust the left setting down to 50% and the problem went away. So I continued adjusting back up to 80% to see where the cutoff issues would start happening again and its around 65% so I left it at 60% just to be safe.

So with that said now I can turn left right straight but now its cutting off occasionally (going straight) for no apparent reason LOL!!!! SMH I cant win with this thing. Ill keep troubleshooting but these intermittent issues that seem to keep moving around are the worst!!! makes me miss the days of plugnplay of electric. NOT!!!!

biggo

@pfrederi1
I use the dynamite kill switch with zero issues at a cost of about $35. It won't work if binding at 5ms, have to bind at 11ms. I'm using a Spektrum DX6R but this is the case with all spektrum radios.

Sounds like Phil hit the nail on the head and you're having power issues. Have you considered switching to a lipo rx battery?

pfrederi1

The kill switch will cut the engine if the voltage drops below a certain level.
Without the kill switch it won't happen.
Could be a bad winding on one side of the servo?

Thanks for the input Phill
Still trying to figure this one out. I swapped out the steering servo with a brand new servo that i ordered for my other car. Same issue. Engine cuts off when i turn left. If i adjust the EPA for the left down to about 55 it doesn't happen. Runs ok like that until get to bashing it will occasionally cut out. It seems to be a steering related because inotice if im bashing and turn one way or the other and bumping around i think the steering either gets bump too far to the end point and shuts the engine off. Not sure though. Guessing at this point.

Its not excessive bashing BTW. No jumps. Overall its still pointing to the killswitch. Does anyone know if maybe adjusting the settings dipswitches on the killerbee (sensitivity, voltage cutoff, etc.) on the killswitch might help with this.

Last edited:

pfrederi1

@pfrederi1
I use the dynamite kill switch with zero issues at a cost of about $35. It won't work if binding at 5ms, have to bind at 11ms. I'm using a Spektrum DX6R but this is the case with all spektrum radios.

Sounds like Phil hit the nail on the head and you're having power issues. Have you considered switching to a lipo rx battery?

Thanks for the input biggo
I do have a LiPo system. Havent had the stock system in for sometime now.

Im not familiar with the setting youre referring to here "It won't work if binding at 5ms, have to bind at 11ms"

Phill

Thanks for the input Phill
Still trying to figure this one out. I swapped out the steering servo with a brand new servo that i ordered for my other car. Same issue. Engine cuts off when i turn left. If i adjust the EPA for the left down to about 55 it doesn't happen. Runs ok like that until get to bashing it will occasionally cut out. It seems to be a steering related because inotice if im bashing and turn one way or the other and bumping around i think the steering either gets bump too far to the end point and shuts the engine off. Not sure though. Guessing at this point.

Its not excessive bashing BTW. No jumps. Overall its still pointing to the killswitch. Does anyone know if maybe adjusting the settings dipswitches on the killerbee (sensitivity, voltage cutoff, etc.) on the killswitch might help with this.
I'd try lowering the voltage cut out
Can't hurt to try it

biggo

Thanks for the input biggo
I do have a LiPo system. Havent had the stock system in for sometime now.

Im not familiar with the setting youre referring to here "It won't work if binding at 5ms, have to bind at 11ms"

The binding info is only relevant to spektrum radios. Dynamite has different setting for different batteries. Is killer bee the same? If so is it set to the lipo setting? If all is well I would bet your issue to be the kill switch or the receiver.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts