• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Tire wobble bounce?

Hello im new to the hobby and just got the MT last week and upon driving it i noticed a couple of my tires kind of bounce. Like its out of balance or out of round. It shakes like crazy once you get about half throttle or faster. At slower speeds you cant even see it. Is there anything i can do to them to fix this problem or are the brand new tires for this brand new machine junk? Ive looked and looked trying to find info about this but i mainly just found stuff about wobble and such due to out of alignment. Any info and help is greatly appreciated

G-Man

Hello im new to the hobby and just got the MT last week and upon driving it i noticed a couple of my tires kind of bounce. Like its out of balance or out of round. It shakes like crazy once you get about half throttle or faster. At slower speeds you cant even see it. Is there anything i can do to them to fix this problem or are the brand new tires for this brand new machine junk? Ive looked and looked trying to find info about this but i mainly just found stuff about wobble and such due to out of alignment. Any info and help is greatly appreciated
Ya those wheels are way out of balance from the get go. You will have to rig up a balancing system of some sort. Then put automobile stick on weights to the inside of the wheel opposite the heavy spot. I removed a rear CV axle and installed a broken end of a CV axle I had laying around, mounted the wheel adapter to that and put the wheel and nut on. Now it spins free through the bearings without the axle portion going into the diff. Spin the wheel slow the heavy spot will go towards the ground, put a few weights on the oposite side and respin. It will take alot btw. 2 out of 4 on mine took 2 ounces each. What sucks you probably don't have a broken CV axle yet to use the ends. So you will have to come up with something.

Broke a rear axle today while i was just seeing what it could do. Its definately a tough truck. Broke the little pin on the axle that holds the axel to the wheel adapter :/ if that makes sense not sure how to explain it. Anyways thanks for the info ill have to order some of those weights

G-Man

Broke a rear axle today while i was just seeing what it could do. Its definately a tough truck. Broke the little pin on the axle that holds the axel to the wheel adapter :/ if that makes sense not sure how to explain it. Anyways thanks for the info ill have to order some of those weights
Ya I know the pin you broke. When you get the new one loctite the setscrew that holds the cv pin in and wrap a layer of fabric hockey stick tape then a final layer of electrical tape around the outer portion of the axle where the pin goes through. I have had alot of success with that method. I use a utility knife to trim it so it wont bind in the bearing area. I will find a picture..

G-Man

Here it is. The middle one broke the shaft before losing the CV pin. You can see how good the tape wrap mod held up next to the other two that are new and freshly wrapped. There is 8 tanks of gas on the middle one btw

Attachments

• 20161105_121728.jpg
    20161105_121728.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 25
Alright i ordered some axles and an axle rebuild kit anyways. I ordered some wheel weights as well hopefully this will fix my wobble issue. But on that dogbone mod i don't have hockey tape but have LOADS of electric is there any specific reason for the layer of hocky tape?

G-Man

Alright i ordered some axles and an axle rebuild kit anyways. I ordered some wheel weights as well hopefully this will fix my wobble issue. But on that dogbone mod i don't have hockey tape but have LOADS of electric is there any specific reason for the layer of hocky tape?
I use the hockey tape because it is made with a fabric material built in. More support. It may work with just electrical or if you have duct tape try it first then electrical tape. But be sure to trim so it doesn't interfere where the axle goes into the hub and bearing. Hope it helps man!!

G-Man

Just finished balancing my wheels. One of them took 50grams of counter weight, that heaps for a toy wheel. My actual racecar used less
One of my stock MT tires took around the same. Nothing like adding even more rotational mass. But the difference in handling and not rattling everything loose is well worth it. It's crazy the amount of weight they take.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts