• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Tire choice

Ice_2k

Hi guys,

As my Tarmac Busters are nearing their end, I'm looking ahead to my next set of tires. I was perfectly happy with every aspect of the Tarmac Busters, except their durability. I especially LOVE the street look they gave my DR but I can honestly say that, unless I control myself, I can easily destroy them in 2 tanks of fuel if running on clean tarmac.

So, the options I'm looking at at the moment are:

* Bowties - http://www.davesmotors.com/pn1151.html

* Trenchers - http://www.davesmotors.com/pn1155.html

* Crushers - http://www.davesmotors.com/hostile-crushers-rear-tire-set-for-hpi-baja-5t-hard-compound.html (by far my least favourite design-wise)

Basically what I'm looking for is a durable tire with reasonable grip on tarmac (I suppose they all perform great offroad) and to be able to take a lot of sideways action and wheelspin. I'm usually not a "precision driver", I like to drift and slide a lot, my left turns are usually fast right/left, counter-steer and hold the drift with the gas. Probably why the tarmac busters went so fast...

Also, do you know how wide these tires are? The specs are not on the ddm site, but for the crushers they say they work with the front type foam inserts, which worries me. I like wide tires, I'd like my future tires to be about the same width as the tarmac busters. I don't like the skinny look of the stock front tires and I plan to run rears all around.

And one more thing, any chance I can get away with buying just the tires and using the foams from the tarmac busters?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

BertR

You are going to want the Hostile slicks if your running around on asphalt.... The 3 you named will burn off faster than your tarmac busters. The trenchers are the best at handling on street with super grip but still they are soft and can't take the abuse the street delivers. I have both trencher and bowties so that's just my experience with them.

designed2survive

1- Out of the three linked tires only the bowties are for 5B rear.

2- Crushers and trenchers are for 5T only.

3- Tarmac rear are for 5B only.

4- Rear 5T Trenchers and crushers are 5mm narrower than rear 5B Tarmac so you won't have the same look as with the tarmac should you go 5t tires.

5- You can run 5T rear tires on 5B rear rims (makes them look wider) with rear foam. Do not use front foam on 5b rear rims, they will not fill the tire/rim. Base on my personal and very recent experience the 5T front foam insert are too skinny when used with rear 5t tires.

6- Trenchers rear tires won't work with front rims regardless of front or rear foam insert used. Beadlocks won't secure/hold them safely to the rims.

7- No you can't use your rear foam insert. 5T tires are taller than 5B tires therefore 5B foam inserts are not tall enough.

8 and most important: once you add asphalt to the equation, you will not going to find that tire that will last on it and perform on other terrain at the same time. It's one way or the other. On asphalt Crushers will last longer than trenchers but trenchers are grippier. On asphalt, stick with asphalt tires only. Worst get slicks as even those road advertised tires like your tarmacs do not last.

Best solution====> So get a set of slicks and a second set of tires for whatever other terrain you want to drive on.

But it's your decision and I can at least provide you with some info and pics.

Crushers 5T rear vs Hostile nightmares 5B Rear

designed2survive

- Proline trencher 5T rear

- Hostile zero growth 5T rear

- 5B rear rims

Trenchers vs Crushers:

How they look mounted

All of this info and may be more came from my build. I tried to pull the most pertinent ones but feel free to check it in case I forgot something.

Ice_2k

Tire choice

Wow, that's a lot of great info guys, thanks a lot! Sounds like bowties + hostile slicks are the setup for me.

The bowties & the hostile slicks will work with the tarmac busters foams, right?

P.S. Any thoughts on the hostile ATs?

Ildy666

Also look at IMEX K ROCKS there good for the street and work well for grass and dirt.there also a wide tire.also they have great package deals for tire and wheel combos...

BertR

Ildy666 said:
Also look at IMEX K ROCKS there good for the street and work well for grass and dirt.there also a wide tire.also they have great package deals for tire and wheel combos...
I hear the k-rocks are a good tire for being a under dog brand

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts