• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Throttle servo glitches

Randyh

So, I just got my brand new Rampage MT. I installed an aluminum roll-cage and a tuned pipe. Going through engine break in and the throttle servo is going wacko! When engine is not running, everything is rock solid. Works perfect. After I start the engine the throttle servo glitches back and forth, and will occasionally go into the fail safe mode with brakes fully engaged. I got lucky too when it decided to go wide open! I was able to grab the truck and get it shut down before it took off! Im a little nervous to run it any more until the issue is resolved. Any one had similar issues with the stock setup? Ive heard the servos are not that great, but the truck has 2 10 minute slow runs on it. I have not even burned a half a tank of fuel yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

designed2survive

If the glitch happen when the engine is running, you have radio interference caused by the engine. I would investigate your radio starting with the receiver. Do you happen to have a spare one you can try?

It wouldn't hurt either to try a different servo but I doubt that would solve the glitch based on what you said.

Keep up posted, I'm interested in finding out what the issue is.

Randyh

If the glitch happen when the engine is running, you have radio interference caused by the engine. I would investigate your radio starting with the receiver. Do you happen to have a spare one you can try?

It wouldn't hurt either to try a different servo but I doubt that would solve the glitch based on what you said.

Keep up posted, I'm interested in finding out what the issue is.
I don't have another to try. It is the stock radio as I said. Just wondering if anybody else has seen this with a brand new truck

G-Man

I don't have another to try. It is the stock radio as I said. Just wondering if anybody else has seen this with a brand new truck
Yes my throttle servo failed on its 2nd tank of gas. Luckily it failed in the braking position not throttle like I have heard others experienced. Get a killerrc.com super bee kill switch soon too. You could have shut the engine off with the radio.

G-Man

Also, do you have a recommendation for steering servo? Then battery pack is next, right?? Any good ones?
What's up man. I use a small 2700 mah 2s lipo rx hump pack, Futaba rx and tx, superbee killswitch, Spektrum S9020 servo for steering, and Savox SW0230 for throttle on my MT. I only use one servo. Had to get the aluminum Futaba style mount for the bigger steering servo. In my DR I run the same throttle servo as the MT but use a hitec D845 for steering. All of those servos are strong and most importantly waterproof. I lost a few non waterproof to a splash of unexpected water.

Wayne

What's up man. I use a small 2700 mah 2s lipo rx hump pack, Futaba rx and tx, superbee killswitch, Spektrum S9020 servo for steering, and Savox SW0230 for throttle on my MT. I only use one servo. Had to get the aluminum Futaba style mount for the bigger steering servo. In my DR I run the same throttle servo as the MT but use a hitec D845 for steering. All of those servos are strong and most importantly waterproof. I lost a few non waterproof to a splash of unexpected water.
Which would you say is your best/strongest steering servo the Spektrum S9020 or your Hitec D845? If it is the Spektrum S9020 is it worth the price difference or is the Hitec D845 the best by?

G-Man

Which would you say is your best/strongest steering servo the Spektrum S9020 or your Hitec D845? If it is the Spektrum S9020 is it worth the price difference or is the Hitec D845 the best by?
The Spektrum is by numbers stronger than the Hitec. I have the Spektrum in my MT and the Hitec in my DR love them both actually. I got tired of playing the let's try this servo game and spent the money on the Spektrum. It is all around tough and lipo fast. Heck I spent almost that much on 2 Hitec 5765 that failed with a little unexpected water. I also tried one Savox and stripped the gears after a few months, I actually voided the warranty waterproofing it myself. I was done playing games bought the Spektrum. Now the Hitec I just started the build with that servo (lesson learned on the MT lol) The wheels are smaller on the DR and figured it had plenty of torque and speed.

mdknightrider

So, I just got my brand new Rampage MT. I installed an aluminum roll-cage and a tuned pipe. Going through engine break in and the throttle servo is going wacko! When engine is not running, everything is rock solid. Works perfect. After I start the engine the throttle servo glitches back and forth, and will occasionally go into the fail safe mode with brakes fully engaged. I got lucky too when it decided to go wide open! I was able to grab the truck and get it shut down before it took off! Im a little nervous to run it any more until the issue is resolved. Any one had similar issues with the stock setup? Ive heard the servos are not that great, but the truck has 2 10 minute slow runs on it. I have not even burned a half a tank of fuel yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
If I were you, I would put a throttle servo in it THAT IS WATER PROOF, NOT WATER RESISTANT, I WOULD ALSO SUGGEST PUTTING ONE ON STEERING AS WELL, as to why it is glitching, you might try checking to see if your END POINTS are set.

Phill

Did you have to change the mount for the D845 steering servo on the DR?

sunoco

not saying this is the issue with these servos. i have repaired quite a few redcat- hexfly servos. there is a wiper pot in these. carbon wipers. sometimes a small shot of crc electronic cleaner on the pot will fix instantly- a drop of Caig Labs Cailube moving contact lubricant really helps also-- Pot- this is a term for Potentiometers. used also for volume -balance controls on radios-ect-ect. And there could be a cold or loose solder joint where the servos control wires connect to the servos p-c board.-- e- z fix really----

mdknightrider

Yes my throttle servo failed on its 2nd tank of gas. Luckily it failed in the braking position not throttle like I have heard others experienced. Get a killerrc.com super bee kill switch soon too. You could have shut the engine off with the radio.
I would like to ad to this, one thing I found out, is the STOCK transmitters are ANALOG, not DIGITAL, with that being said, trying to set the end points with an ANALOG controller IMPOSSIBLE. I BURNED up TWO of the HITEC 5765 servos in TWO WEEKS. Hope they see fit to let me pay the difference for the HITEC D845WP SERVO.

G-Man

I would like to ad to this, one thing I found out, is the STOCK transmitters are ANALOG, not DIGITAL, with that being said, trying to set the end points with an ANALOG controller IMPOSSIBLE. I BURNED up TWO of the HITEC 5765 servos in TWO WEEKS. Hope they see fit to let me pay the difference for the HITEC D845WP SERVO.
That sucks Man!! Be advised the Hitec d845wp is larger in size than the 5765 so You may have to come up with a mount for it, as I'm not familiar with the XT. Upgrading the radio system and going 7.4v is also another thing to really get the power that 845 puts out. Good luck!!!

G-Man

Thanks mate
I'v got a set of Futaba mounts in the shed.
Do you know which Futaba servo they are made for?
I am not sure what Futaba servo that mount was originally made for. I have always wondered that also

mdknightrider

That sucks Man!! Be advised the Hitec d845wp is larger in size than the 5765 so You may have to come up with a mount for it, as I'm not familiar with the XT. Upgrading the radio system and going 7.4v is also another thing to really get the power that 845 puts out. Good luck!!!
I have an update, HITEC let me pay the difference for THE D845WP, SHOULD BE HERE SATURDAY, also I am prepared to put that sucker in. When you say a 7.4v battery what do you mean? I use the 6v 2500mah battery and have no troubles.

mdknightrider

I am right there as well, I have had my fill of dealing with the HITEC 5765 NON WATERPFOOF PIECE OF JUNK, I've burned through two of those and now am also going with the HITEC D845WP. I also changed out the throttle servo to a WATER PROOF traxxas 2056
which works EXCELENT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online