• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Think I put my drive gears together wrong.

Dobber72

I recently was checking bolts and nuts for tightness on my rampage xt drive gears,I had lost a set screw in one of the square spacer pieces between the drive gears.so I put a new set screw in and took everything apart and there was a washer on the clutch gear side that was in between the spacer and the gear and not between the bearing and spacer like the manual shows so I put it back together like the manual shows and it ran it for a few minutes and it is getting bad hot around the clutch and smeels like burning plastic so I don't know what's going on now unless the washer should go back to where it was or I over tightened the nuts holding the gears on because I don't really know how tight those should be they were pretty loose from the factory.so any help would be appreciated.Thanks

G-Man

I don't have a XT. But it sounds like You may have tightened the gear retaining nuts too tight and now the bearings are getting red hot. I am pretty sure the gear plate which the bearings ride is made of plastic, the smell may be the gear plate melting from the bearings getting super hot. An aluminum upgraded gear plate and new rubber sealed bearings are suggested throughout. Check closely that the gears didn't get damaged also

Dobber72

I don't have a XT. But it sounds like You may have tightened the gear retaining nuts too tight and now the bearings are getting red hot. I am pretty sure the gear plate which the bearings ride is made of plastic, the smell may be the gear plate melting from the bearings getting super hot. An aluminum upgraded gear plate and new rubber sealed bearings are suggested throughout. Check closely that the gears didn't get damaged also
I just pulled the cover off and loosend up the nuts a little and it moves more freely than it did,the gears looks good so far like I said I just ran it about 100 yrds or so so I will order me a aluminum gear plate for sure and new bearings but this time I won't super tighten the nuts down cause I'm bad about that even with the lock tite.but the whole washer in the wrong place is really weird I've seen a video of it saying it's in the wrong place but the manual says it's not so I'm just gonna try it back where it was from the factory behind the spacer.

Dobber72

Thanks for the info cause I'm new to all this.

G-Man

It is common to want to crank those nuts down. Do yourself a favor and get a bottle of blue loctite. I would put a decent amount on any of those screws, nuts etc. All the vibration just rattles everything out. I did the same exact thing you did overtightening the nuts, except mine wouldn't roll smooth.

Dobber72

It is common to want to crank those nuts down. Do yourself a favor and get a bottle of blue loctite. I would put a decent amount on any of those screws, nuts etc. All the vibration just rattles everything out. I did the same exact thing you did overtightening the nuts, except mine wouldn't roll smooth.
Yes I'm fixing to do a tear down and blue loctite everything while I'm waiting on parts.thanks again

Petrolheadz100

How long can the plastic gear housing last before the melting from hog bearings takes toll? Just bought my chi era and have it stripped down just wondering if i should upgrade to the aluminum before putting it all back together.....also my tuned stock pipe spilt on the weld so waiting on redcat to see whats going to happen , should be covered in warranty since the car is only 3 days old

Dobber72

How long can the plastic gear housing last before the melting from hog bearings takes toll? Just bought my chi era and have it stripped down just wondering if i should upgrade to the aluminum before putting it all back together.....also my tuned stock pipe spilt on the weld so waiting on redcat to see whats going to happen , should be covered in warranty since the car is only 3 days old
I did over tightened mine for sure cause now it's doing just fine,as for the cracking pipe if you'll use some header wrap the fiberglass type and wrap your pipe it'll help alot I've went through a couple until I wrapped mine.I haven't had one crack out since I wrapped it.

Petrolheadz100

I did over tightened mine for sure cause now it's doing just fine,as for the cracking pipe if you'll use some header wrap the fiberglass type and wrap your pipe it'll help alot I've went through a couple until I wrapped mine.I haven't had one crack out since I wrapped it.
Wow..i guess thst will work but must look rather rugged compared to a nice polished pipe....i cannot believe redcat hasnt found a solution to this yet

Dobber72

Wow..i guess thst will work but must look rather rugged compared to a nice polished pipe....i cannot believe redcat hasnt found a solution to this yet
Doesn't look too bad can still see the expansion chamber.Id rather it look a little rugged than crack every time i run it.I know that is one of the little faults of the redcat brand.But it's what I could afford.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.