• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

The XT - XB - XB-E Improvement Thread

powerslave69

my long overdue thread

RedcatRacing said:
I would greatly appreciate those that currently own XT's, XB's or XB-E's to discuss issues they find in this thread.
It will help us with resolutions to problems along with be able to work closer with the factory to get them worked out.

If you currently don't own one of these vehicles, please try not comment unless you have first hand knowledge of these issues as keeping this particular thread as straight to the point as possible would be best.

Thanks to everyone!

Darin
"Let Us Show Baja what We're Made of!! Let RedCat Racing know how you feel!"

Listen guys, I decided to start this thread and see what kind of response I will get. After joining this forum a month ago and was so convinced that being a Ramper is the way to go and I still feel the same way. Please consider reading this through as this will benefit us all. Now even with a positive feedback from all of us, I understand this would be a huge undertaking for Darin and Redcat Racing.

I wonder if Darin would even consider this proposition. So, personally here's where I'm at. Even though I'm kinda excited receiving my Baja 5B kit soon, I'm not as excited as I was waiting for my XT to arrive. I thought for the price of 2 Rampage truck or buggy, I'm getting a 2 wheel drive low to the ground small wheeled basher which is not too appealing to me. But I wanted to mount a Skopod 62cc motor but this motor will only work on the 5B/5T if you buy the conversion kit. I got an early birthday gift from my sister and she will buy me this motor for my bday. But I'd rather mount this to my XT, might be possible if you have the skill to do the mods. There's just no substitute for a 4WD!! :) Even a pro like a Squirrel compared the XB,5B and FG truck side by side and the final verdict he chose Rampage! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ioXfHyyfA[/ame] I realized being a businessman myself, huge financial move like this would not be easy for any business. But I don't see any hopup manufacturers concentrating on fabricating upgrades for our Ramps. But let's try it anyway and bring this idea to Darin and RedCat Racing's attention.. We got nothing to lose but a lot to gain. I just feel bad almost everyday I read posts here, there's always someone desperately trying to fit a Baja part or hopup to a Rampage and I'm pretty sure you've seen this a lot. And that's just not right. We, as Rampers should have our own identity. My other XT pal asked me where I got my air filter, reluctantly I replied "oh, it's for a Baja and I just did a few mods to make it fit" Now, what's wrong with that statement? I even found a complete Video tutorial made by Team Fast Eddy showing you step by step on how to assemble a Baja 5B kit. This rides are so popular, someone even made a 3-4 GB worth of Videos and painstakingly and elaborately slowly showed how to put this buggy together from start to finish of the manual down to the last tiniest screw that even a 2 yr. old would understand.

http://www.teamfasteddy.com/category/team-fasteddy-videos/build-a-baja-ss/

I know you will agree with me when I say that whenever you surf the net to look for aftermarket parts for your Ramps, you found something that is so appealing and you just gotta have it, then... Wham! you get jolted by this "Will only fit a Baja 5B/5T :(When I discovered the Skopod the 62cc motor, this what convinced me to just go ahead and buy the 5B kit. Though I know RedCat Racing are trying their best to supply us with our own hopups for our rides, it's just not enough and want more. Correct me if I'm wrong, but majority of these Baja hopups are manufactured by 3rd parties like Phyton,Ramtech, Turtle Racing?, ADA Racing to name a few. I would like to thank DemonRC for fabricating and working on the belt drive. http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=4626&highlight=DemonRC+belt+drive Hopefully other 3rd party hopup manufacturer would follow his lead.

Watch this 5B Video tutorial and the guy will show you a lot of beautifully fabricated hopup parts for the 5B he was assembling. I particularly love the aluminum wheel adapters that will make the width of the 5B wider by almost 2 inches which translates to a more stable ride.

Anyway, I don't want to bore you guys with a long ass post, but just want to ask all of us to perhaps send RedCat Racing and Darin a short note and ask them that we want to stay a "Rampage Fanatics" and not a HPI Baja wannabes! :mad: If I wanted a Baja, I would have purchased one in the first place. Here's RedCat racing support email: [email protected]

if they receive a lot of these requests, I thought they might consider putting this idea into action sooner than later. Let's mount those bigger motors to our Ramps and really do some serious shredding! Good luck to us all :)

powerslave69

give us more options

RampageHopUps said:
So what is your proposal?
After asking a lot of Ramp owners including my bashing friends where I live, we just wish we have the same amount of hopup options for our trucks as the Bajas. Apparently due to budget constraints, we're not going to be able to buy all of it in one shot, but it's nice to know it's there when you need it and want it. I'm seriously considering selling my 5B kitwhen it arrives. I made a hasty decision buying that kit. A friend will take it off my hand if Iagree to let him make payments on it. Forstarter, I got a Skopod 62cc motor coming as a gift which made me buy that 5B kit in the first place. I sure would like to mount that beast on my XT and with DemonRC's belt drive and perhaps a 2 speed tranny, man that would be awesome.

JL59

xb e

I recently purchase the xb e and have had problems with the 980kv motor. Redcat replaced one motor a week ago, now it has done the samething as the first. The motor bearing has gone out causing the drive to bind. The first motor had about two hours on it and the second less than one and a half. I have filed another warrenty claim but hot sure this will solve the problem. Also there is a lack of parts available.

bbuzzard

Contributor
bbuzzard said:
Just lost the grub screw on the center diff rear hub...no big deal since I didn't loctite it but I did notice that the manual is screwed up regarding the part numbers. I found that the part number for the grub screw doesn't match the schematics vs. the parts list. There are numerous discrepancies that need to be addressed.
This area of the drivetrain is pain in the ass for me on the XB and my TT. for some reason the pinion drive assembly keeps coming loose. I have used loctite on everything but that seems to be the weakest link for me. Basically, I have lost two sets of gears because of this and I need some help on this. :confused:

Between the stock tiny bearing issue and this, I hope this is addressed in the next version or as a hopup.

XB_gears2.jpg

XB_gears6.jpg

bobvic1217

XT Shock broke

4th tank of fuel through, ending the day and I hit a tree trunk about 15mph head on...and the rear left shock piston broke. I was worried front end was damaged and broke....thats all fine, it was the rear shock. I'm shaking my head too. lol Good things I have to say is the engine was already tuned very well, started on 4th pull unlike my nitro earthquake, lots of power and speed, and can't wait for my shocks to come in from redcat. (week from order date so far) :( Minor things bugging me, steering servo is NOT powerful enough. Hard to turn in grass, wheels wont barely budge, tight turn radius when moving on pavement though! Im not going to be on pavement though, that's why I got the XT!

bobvic1217

maintenance

What does everybody do for their XT as far a routine mainetance? I have everything stock and 4 tanks of fuel through it, awaiting a new shock from redcat. I see alot of people talking about greasing and/or drilling hole in plastic gear case and spraying lube. I just don't want to ruin anything thats beyond my repairing knowledge. Also, what does everyone do with the 4 hexes you have to unscrew everytime you charge your battery? I charged mine twice so far, and feel like im getting ready to strip one off the battery cover already. Thank you for any responses. Happy XT and Earthquake 3.5 owner... wife hates me! lol So do my neighbors! :)

lumber38

steering issues

Third servo, one stock, two hitec 805, the tires do not turn unless you are moving and the faster the better. The servo saver spring is tight, the linkage doesn't bind , hardware is tight, what else could it be? Tires are flat, tires too big for the single servo? The drive/steering assembly not rigid enough? Yes parts break, Wear and tear given the hobby, but not even a 2 gallons of gas through, and I have replaced 2 servos, 1 receiver, 1 dogbone , pull starter, missing set screws, and the new receiver I bought from redcat doesn't work.......... but that said I just want to steer the truck without damaging my 75 dollar servo for the third time........This is my first 1/5 scale truck, wont be my last............... just not a redcat xt

forist

Contributor
lumber38 said:
Third servo, one stock, two hitec 805, the tires do not turn unless you are moving and the faster the better. The servo saver spring is tight, the linkage doesn't bind , hardware is tight, what else could it be? Tires are flat, tires too big for the single servo? The drive/steering assembly not rigid enough? Yes parts break, Wear and tear given the hobby, but not even a 2 gallons of gas through, and I have replaced 2 servos, 1 receiver, 1 dogbone , pull starter, missing set screws, and the new receiver I bought from redcat doesn't work.......... but that said I just want to steer the truck without damaging my 75 dollar servo for the third time........This is my first 1/5 scale truck, wont be my last............... just not a redcat xt
Check your screws on the Front Bearing Holders (the one on the top and bottom) make sure they are not to tight. I have had them to tight and binds up the steering.

DemonRC

lumber38 said:
but that said I just want to steer the truck without damaging my 75 dollar servo for the third time........This is my first 1/5 scale truck, wont be my last............... just not a redcat xt
Lumber did you end up trying the steering linkage mod?

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=5669

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=5669

If your damaging servos Forist might be right:

forist said:
Check your screws on the Front Bearing Holders (the one on the top and bottom) make sure they are not to tight. I have had them to tight and binds up the steering.

Last edited by a moderator:

lumber38

I'll check the hardware again, the steering assembly does move effortlessly with and without the servo when the tires are off the ground. But nonetheless I'll check it over. I'll not give up on the truck, I'll just go with hpi adapters and wheels when the funds are there or when my wife approves .......thanks for the input... and help.

tony852

1. 24mm baja adapter must be as stock adapter----the quality of stock tire is usually poor. many of user will use high quality baja tire with baja wheel . what a waste of spending extra money for set of baja adapter and throw away the stock ones.

2. bigger bearing and stronger bearing support.

3. baja air filter should be installed without any linkage mod.

4. 700cc fuel tank is much better-------I want to beat baja and mcd on the track, but I have to stop the rig and refill the tank again.

5. the gear cover should be covered by the body. that looks much nicer

6. wider side guard should be added on both side of the rig. it can protected the servo, pipe, etc..... from the side impact .

Last edited by a moderator:

krebidoux

hey guys i'm new here. i bought my xb about 3 months ago and i'm having some problems with it. a member over at lsf told me to go online here and post it so here are the problems i've been having.

-wheel bearings

-diff way shaft bearing blew and took out the diff mount and chewed up the 2 new gears i just put on it

-wheel rounded on the inside

-broken shock shaft(wasn't beating on it just driving up and down the side of the road)

-thr/brk servo went up in smoke but they replaced it with a cheaper one then the car came with

nock on wood thats all thats going to happen i hope. i've had my firehammer and my baja for over 2 years so far and haven't had as many problems with them put together as i've had with this thing. mind you the times that it ain't broke down i love it and am going to do some serious upgrading on it over the winter but for now i wish it would just hold together long enough to have some serious fun. i'll be watching this site to see what you guys are doing to make them better.

bbuzzard

Contributor
Looks like you have experienced majority of the known issues with that platform. If you read through the XB/XT threads, you will see that there are some proven solutions to rectify the bearings issues.

krebidoux

ya i read about the steering knucles,carrier hub upgrades for the larger bearings. i'm going to put them on, i've ordered the aluminum diff carrier, i've got the baja adaptors already now i just got to get the tires.

my79cutty

took xt to the track for the first time

So today went to milestone raceway with the xt to take it on the track for the first time to play around with a few baja buddies everything was going well for about 15 min then stuff just started to break first was my steering servo which is a hitech for some reason an ic blew itself right off the circuit board fixed by using a stock servo. Then the front universal drive joint exploded man someone has got to see about beefing these up replaced with a spare. Then for the final blow to make sit the side lines rear gear box failed and destroyed itself, man this needs to be beefed up also. only got about 2 tanks in then done. It was handling real nice out there and taking the jumps like a champ till all that happened. Other than all this that happened i had fun at the track for the first time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online