• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

The XT - XB - XB-E Improvement Thread

DMZamora

alfred e numan said:
forgot to say-a center diff requires 2 sets of brakes- advantage is- you can bias the braking- the disadvantage?- takes a 5755 to run it- weight ya know? and money.
Wouldn't be easier (and expensive too) to upgrade to a disc brake set?

alfred e numan

yes. that would be a 1st in north america, Approx 9-12 months ago a racer from Germany posted a race on this site.- very tight track. they had a camera @ the end of the long smooth section same level as the cars- The racers would pitch the cars sideways- to the outside of the corner- very slightly- then steer into the corner- useing brake bias-2 channels for the brakes?? - It looked the same as rally cars with big power- the old group b super cars from the 1980s. - sayy- zemora- I have been looking very closely at Uruguay Duranzo department- we would call this a state in america.- Huge lake-Rio Negro river, another called peach- comes from underground- big river- This country has its act together.

Adamsky

XT Rear Diff. Cups and Gear Box

I wish Redcat would design stronger or more durable Diff. Cups and Gear Boxes for the XT. I'm going to post a pic of what happen to my XT today. This is the second time this has happen and it is getting frustrating! Why would you design a plastic gear box with metal gears. It can not stand up to the power of the motor or abuse from consumers. Please design something better. Also do you guys have any ideas how I can improve the rear gear box? I thought about casing it in fiberglass? My second idea is make a carbon fiber one. I have been making fiberglass/carbon fiber hoods for Ford Mustang for years. Carbon fiber would look cool as hell and hold up a lot better. What has everybody else been doing? Any thoughts or ideas? I even thought about putting a metal strap around it?

nitrohobbiest

Adamsky: Maybe this might help you...

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=6923

This link is my page of many mods I have done. As of present, all the mods are doing their jobs well but other parts of the truck are just gonna break. Right now I have a snapped drive cup and bent axle in the front and I haven't bothered to fix it in months. Its happened before and I'm tired of fixing the same things. But its a $600 truck being sold in a $1400 world so you take what you're dealt.

Stygian

Banned
IMO redcat does it on purpose knowing it's going to blow out, they make way more on selling replacement parts than they do the car/truck it's self. They know it's a manufacturer defect so every time it breaks they should be warranting it out as each new part/s has a new warranty. Hopefully those aluminum ones will hold up way better

Dreggsta

Adamsky said:
I thought about casing it in fiberglass? My second idea is make a carbon fiber one. I have been making fiberglass/carbon fiber hoods for Ford Mustang for years. Carbon fiber would look cool as hell and hold up a lot better. What has everybody else been doing? Any thoughts or ideas? I even thought about putting a metal strap around it?
I thought bout doing the same thing but putting in some bracing between fiberglass layers. If you do carbon fiber, brace it & make it a very tight fit it should help the stock diff cases. If u do this I might see if I could buy a set from you.

nitrohobbiest

Your not gonna be able to buy a set of carbon fiber pieces. If he does it, he's gonna form it just like fiberglass. If he makes CF hoods, he's doing them in layers of liquid, not cutting and shaping sheets. So if he were to make a set, he would need a new diff case to go with each set because the case would be submerged in the CF.

I think the CF idea will hold up if its thickest around the bearing, However, the cause of the breakage will still be there and if the diff case cant break, something else will. The chassis flexes right ahead of where the case bolts to it. When it does it forces the rear diff into the dogbone and bam, destruction. Something will give and it may end up being your center diff carrier, or a bent dogbone, or the bearing may just push through to the inside of the plastic case rather than bust up and out like they usually do.

G

I think the CF idea will hold up if its thickest around the bearing, However, the cause of the breakage will still be there and if the diff case cant break, something else will. The chassis flexes right ahead of where the case bolts to it. When it does it forces the rear diff into the dogbone and bam, destruction. Something will give and it may end up being your center diff carrier, or a bent dogbone, or the bearing may just push through to the inside of the plastic case rather than bust up and out like they usually do.
Agreed. The that's a chassis flex issue. 7075RC has an awesome chassis that would fix that issue.

BoostCreepr

i have about 5 tanks through my xb as of now. I bought the boca bearings green kit for the xb and replaced the bearings this weekend. To my suprise over half of the bearings were seized up or very hard to spin!! Ontop of that i added the HPI axle boots to all diff cups, and also used the 3/4 L copper pipe cut to 1/2" on each cup as well... I don't know if this is a common problem or not but i ordered the MSD plug wire and realized that i had to cut at least an 1/8th of an inch off the bottom to get the plug to pop into the wire completely....

G

Very common. The factory bearings are not the best, and are a bit undersized.

BoostCreepr

I was looking at a picture of one of your trucks from July of last year and noticed it was running regular gears, is there a reason you run gears instead of belt RCDAD?

G

Just old pics. All my cats have one of the belt drive kits.

XSC now my X-Bug

MT

XB

BoostCreepr

ahhh i gotcha, I too run the belt drive, i am having a bad time with topping out real early in the rpms, holds tight to 32mph. was thinking about going back to the gears just to run 31/29. I did order some proline trenchers for 5sc and adapters hoping the taller tire would help, also put a ddm 7500 spring in it. What do you think?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.