• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

The XT - XB - XB-E Improvement Thread

auto2

stock foams in the tires are horrible and how about more tire choises?

Aznhunter

XB fifth tank here, took a huge jump, landed nose first took out the front left steering nuckle insert (insert that acts like a heli-coil, but it's not a heli-coil), and bent the front sway bar. Over all been a tough buggy, and I drive it hard.

nitrohobbiest

I've mentioned this elsewhere as have many others but this seems to be the best place to add to the list of faults. I just had my rear diff case bust open due to the rear half of the chassis flexing and not having enough slop in the center dog bone to avoid it pushing on the cup during the flexing. I'm in the process of replacing the case, the diff gear and the diff crown gear which all got damaged simply because it took a little bit of driving to realize I only had front wheel drive. The gears tore themselves up from not being meshed right with the case being broken. Here are the pics you'll ask for:

284.jpg

286.jpg

Ol' fart

cordy said:
Welcome to the club. C`omon old fart we need you desperately!
I only know the XBE. I may have to buy a gas powered Redcat to see and fix some of the problems

you are having. Sounds like an inclosed mid-drive housing and a stonger chassis is in order and the diff housing too.

Are all the gas ones the same? which is the most popular? are there any other problems??

nitrohobbiest

My diff cracked on an XT. I believe the gas ones are all the same except gearing and the cosmetics. My solution is located here: http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=6923&page=3

There will be more pics of my progress tonight, hopefully. No offense to any of the aftermarket crew, but I'm not going to sit and wait to get this truck running reliably. I may just upgrade the parts later but I feel my fixes will be fairly professional looking and very strong. I'm hoping I will have the common issues resolved.

nitrohobbiest

You know, I just thought of a partial fix for the rear end flex. If it was left as is, and bearings were maintained so they don't heat up and fail, the solution could be a center shaft that telescopes like the Traxxas plastic shafts. MIP makes shafts like that in aluminum for the Slash 4X4. Just food for thought.

cordy

Well we are destroying the diff cases on the xb and xt same housing,the guy`s in europe are doing the same. We cant race if we are constantly replaceing the diff housings.Most of the time its the rear housing,however the front housing has also been destroyed but not as much as the rear. So old fart we are looking to to be our savior!

Top Jimmy

Front Hub failure on Brand New XT

I was out today running my 3rd tank and my right front hub shattered. I took the wheel off and removed the grub screws too. I took the entire hub assembly off, and for the life of me, can't take the hub apart. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an upgrade to better hubs so this doesn't happen again? This truck is 1 week old and up to now was great. I wasn't hammering it either. Al help is appreciated!

Top Jimmy

Wrong part name. Sorry

RC Gasser,

Its actually the CVD?, the part the dogbone goes into and is threaded for the wheel to bolt to. Also, are you supposed to pry the assemby apart after removing the grub screws to replace the CVD?

Thanks!

rcgasser

No you should not have to pry off!!! the bearing swell up or something and I know they are a bear to get off of the CVD joint that's why the link that was showed form the 707 rc has the bigger bearing way better support and if you have to change anything the parts come apart easily I gave up on mine I could never get it apart and did the upgrades and have not had any problems since.

nitrohobbiest

If you are referring to the square piece that the wheel slides over, and is held by 2 grub screws, you shouldn't have to pry it off but if it loosened a little and moved on the axle a bit, it could have mushroomed a little and you would then have to pry it off.

As for the CVD's or universal drive joints, they are getting harder to find. I have found that the pins tend to fall out of them so I went around the whole truck, removed and cleaned the little grub screws that holds the pins into each axle, and added locktite to them. Not sure what else happened to yours.

mjbcobra

I lost two set screws this week in at one time! both from the cups that are gong to the front and the back. not a great design.

bbuzzard

Contributor
mjbcobra said:
I lost two set screws this week in at one time! both from the cups that are gong to the front and the back. not a great design.
Whats that got to do with the design? Due to vibration and conditions, everything will come loose in time. Did you check that all the metal to metal screws/nuts had locktite on them? If not, that would fall under user error. If you you did have locktite in place, how many times have you run your buggy and checked the state of your screws and nuts? I check mine before I run or after I clean my beasts after a run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts