• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

suspension damping

alfred e numan

Lots of hop=ups for cars-the skys the limit- but not much in the way of suspension - yea, hpi has adjustable pistons- Germans have check balls- yet another uses AL+ rubber cup- there are 3-4 hundred dollar shocks out there-too rich for my blood- here is another idea to slow down the rebound damping- An idea for the masses- its a Lexan Polycarbonate check valve. There is more to this than the simple photos show- The type of lexan- its thickness- The method of building the valves- viscosity of silicone- ect-ect-Its a experiment in progress folks- Its effect is quite an improvement- no more pogo stick shocks is the goal---- but @ the same itme, you do not want to pack down either on rebound--

G

Interesting, keep us posted on performance either pos. or neg. Trial and error makes for knowledge. :)

bigfol

Traxxas makes a smilar style of valve for the e-revo, you put the damper plate on top for off road and under the plate for on road or it could be the other way around, I forget, but the point is it did make a big difference to its handling, smoothed it right out. I'll see if I can dig up the part number, might be able to copy it.

alfred e numan

Deluge said:
Deluge? This is one of 2 places where the idea came from! The other place is German. It involves steel balls with expanding springs. Too heavy. Unsprung weight ya know-- I really do wish the cats-xb shocks had rebuild parts. This is why my efforts are on the nu-tec shocks. As obeast said- affordable parts. If you folks only saw the involvement this simple idea requires- I am into 5th generation check valves now. Its a balancing act- shock piston blow by- anti squat-ect ect-- The front end is rather easy to hit the spot. The ass end? not easy at all. This last generation is really very close - The ass end- It requires sealing off the piston holes- redrilling, the washers have to be flat on one side- rounded on the other- Most folks compensate for the lack of rebound control by running heavy silicone-60-70-80 wt silicone- Silicone has a rather low viscosity index- Too heavy weight oil makes this fact worse. For the moment i am running 40-45 wt oil- there is shock piston blo-by to contend with- This new generation check valves is some what progressive - rebound and compression- Where the car used to launch sideways, now its on rails-just drive it.- When i say progressive- light inital damping-the little holes -bumps-as the shocks go further into travel, they firm up- Very important on the front end- The gyroscopic effect of the engine causes nose dive-the weight or the front 4wd adds to the problem also. gotta go now- work is calling.

alfred e numan

alfred e numan said:
Deluge? This is one of 2 places where the idea came from! The other place is German. It involves steel balls with expanding springs. Too heavy. Unsprung weight ya know-- I really do wish the cats-xb shocks had rebuild parts. This is why my efforts are on the nu-tec shocks. As obeast said- affordable parts. If you folks only saw the involvement this simple idea requires- I am into 5th generation check valves now. Its a balancing act- shock piston blow by- anti squat-ect ect-- The front end is rather easy to hit the spot. The ass end? not easy at all. This last generation is really very close - The ass end- It requires sealing off the piston holes- redrilling, the washers have to be flat on one side- rounded on the other- Most folks compensate for the lack of rebound control by running heavy silicone-60-70-80 wt silicone- Silicone has a rather low viscosity index- Too heavy weight oil makes this fact worse. For the moment i am running 40-45 wt oil- there is shock piston blo-by to contend with- This new generation check valves is some what progressive - rebound and compression- Where the car used to launch sideways, now its on rails-just drive it.- When i say progressive- light inital damping-the little holes -bumps-as the shocks go further into travel, they firm up- Very important on the front end- The gyroscopic effect of the engine causes nose dive-the weight or the front 4wd adds to the problem also. gotta go now- work is calling.
Another "rubegoldburg idea " I have been pondering is a small externally mounted accelator pump- Built correctlly. not shoot a stream of fuel into the venturi- shoot a mist- like a nazil spray bottle does- in a controlled fashon- check valve, volume adjustment- bla-bla- this will be tinkered with later- too many irons in the fire @ the moment.- shit-i gotta go--running late.-

G

Trip.. said:
Silicone oil comes stock in the shocks from the factory.
Just don't know what weight it is. :confused:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts