• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

stuffed stroker crank stuffing removal

aussie

hi guys

iv got a 1 mm stuffed stroker crank.

any way iv heard like you all know off that the stuffing to fill the full circle crank comes apart and falls in to motor and stuffs it up.

ok,so am i able to carefully sand or grind or machine away this reddy/orange stuffing fill to fix this and not waiste a good crank ??

and if i do this mod,will it make the crank out of balance then though ??

theres not alot of filling to remove and surely it wouldnt put it out of balance would it ??

whats your thoughts and ideas guys please ??

cheers

glen

DemonRC

I just cut off the 4 little corners. They are what flies off. If you place an xacto blade under then you can see they are not even glued. Just cut those off and you should be good to go. You can see the corners I'm talking about in the pic.

aussie

hi catchaser

thanks for the pic and reply mate.

so what would i use as far as tools to cut/trim the corners off ??

bye cutting these little corners of,will this make the crank out of balance ??

how strong is the reddy brown material they use ??

i wonder how it is stuck on ??

sorry for all the questions

cheers

glen

DemonRC

I cut mine off with a utility knife. I tried an x-acto but the blade is too flimsy for the material. It is not like cutting regular nylon. The stuff is pretty hard, therefore, brittle which is probably why is breaks off at high RPM's. I've been doing this for the past 4 engines and havn't had a single seperation yet. Before my engine's life was dependent on how long those slivers held up. Then again, that was on a Baja running a ported 26cc marine engine with a Jetpro v3 which pushed my RPM's through the roof. If I stayed on throttle at full speed and catch a little bit of air from a bump I was almost gauranteed to blow the stuffing with that engine/pipe setup.

Also, I haven't noticed any decrease in bearing life from the crank being out of balance. The slivers are so small and weigh next to nothing. If anything I bet the crank was never balanced from the start.

Sprint 77

Contributor
I agree that stuffer cranks can give you problems at high RPM. But you have to have other parts done to get it to this high RPM before you need to worry that the stuffer will come out. Like good port job , good Ceramic crank bearings , zero drag seals, and so on if your motor just has a Stuffed crank in and that is it it is not likely to turn enough RPM to give you problems. Most that are coming apart are getting up to or over 18,000 RPM

DemonRC

Sprint 77 said:
I agree that stuffer cranks can give you problems at high RPM. But you have to have other parts done to get it to this high RPM before you need to worry that the stuffer will come out. Like good port job , good Ceramic crank bearings , zero drag seals, and so on if your motor just has a Stuffed crank in and that is it it is not likely to turn enough RPM to give you problems. Most that are coming apart are getting up to or over 18,000 RPM
Your right on this. Every stuffer crank I've had problems with was in an engine that had alot of work done to it. I don't recall having problems with them when running stock setups.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts