• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Street tires (concrete) for the MT?

Boomkidd

Hey again all!!
I am looking for street tires for my MT. I seem to run way more on concrete vs dirt, etc. The concrete just eats the stock monster truck style tires FAST! I think I'll have to order a different ratio belt for the transmission as well... I think. (Right? I have the 1:1 belt from Stern-CNC now...)

I am open to all suggestions, in the meantime I am looking at these for the rear:
http://www.activepowersports.com/hpi-4743-mntd-tarmac-buster-rib-tire-m-cmpnd-re-2-4743/

And these for the front (unless the above one should just be for all around.)
http://www.activepowersports.com/hpi-4742-mntd-tarmac-buster-rib-tire-m-cmpnd-fr-2-4742/

I see 24mm wheel hubs and I think I will need them for these. The MT's are 23mm, right? Wish I didnt have to change them so swapping the tires wont be difficult. No big deal though.

If anyone has a different / better suggestion I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Phill

Hey again all!!
I am looking for street tires for my MT. I seem to run way more on concrete vs dirt, etc. The concrete just eats the stock monster truck style tires FAST! I think I'll have to order a different ratio belt for the transmission as well... I think. (Right? I have the 1:1 belt from Stern-CNC now...)

I am open to all suggestions, in the meantime I am looking at these for the rear:
http://www.activepowersports.com/hpi-4743-mntd-tarmac-buster-rib-tire-m-cmpnd-r

And these for the front (unless the above one should just be for all around.)
http://www.activepowersports.com/hpi-4742-mntd-tarmac-buster-rib-tire-m-cmpnd-fr-2-4742/

I see 24mm wheel hubs and I think I will need them for these. The MT's are 23mm, right? Wish I didnt have to change them so swapping the tires wont be difficult. No big deal though.

If anyone has a different / better suggestion I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

I know the Tarmac Busters are pretty soft and wear fast
Dunno about the others

Boomkidd

I know the Tarmac Busters are pretty soft and wear fast
Dunno about the others
Ah, gotcha. Cant be much worse than these stock tires on concrete though.

Anyone else have any concrete tire input? I DEF want concrete tires and if I have to settle on the Tarmac busters I guess I will.

designed2survive

Nice, thanks man! I googled Hostile Slicks, but I am not sure what to buy as far as size. I need rims too I am assuming. I know I want hard compound as Im not racing at all.

You will need

- 2 sets of hostile slick for Baja 5b rear (front are skinnier). There are 2 per package.

- 2 sets of foam inserts for Baja 5b rear (hostile zero growth foam are more durable but the choice is yours). There are 2 per package.

- 2 sets of Baja 5b rims/wheels (proline are better built in my opinion, but your choice)

- I'm not sure about the size of the wheel hub on the MT.

The above are all for the look of a MT with Baja 5b rear wheels tires combo on all four corners. If you want a taller combo, you can go with the Baja 5T 5SC look. Tires/wheels are taller but skinnier than 5Bs

For a place to shop for or check the above parts, check ddm.

Last edited:

Boomkidd

You will need

- 2 sets of hostile slick for Baja 5b rear (front are skinnier). There are 2 per package.

- 2 sets of foam inserts for Baja 5b rear (hostile zero growth foam are more durable but the choice is yours). There are 2 per package.

- 2 sets of Baja 5b rims/wheels (proline are better built in my opinion, but your choice)

- I'm not sure about the size of the wheel hub on the MT.

The above are all for the look of a MT with Baja 5b rear wheels tires combo on all four corners. If you want a taller combo, you can go with the Baja 5T 5SC look. Tires/wheels are taller but skinnier than 5Bs

For a place to shop for or check the above parts, check ddm.

Dude, you freaking ROCK!! I am going to buy this stuff. I want to be able to slide around on smooth concrete, etc
The hubs on the MT are 23mm's. I have a feeling the hubs on the Baja rims are 24mm's which is sort of wack because those 24mm hubs are expensive ($50 +/-)

I never would have figured this out w/o your help. I really appreciate this! :) Off to order some rubbers. I plan on buying nice rims in the near future.

-Jay

Boomkidd

Ok so, I got the rims, tires and foam inserts suggested. They are sweet. :) However, I had no clue you needed bead locks as well (WTF man, cant include them? At least crap ones? SMH... so frustrated right now...)

At any rate, what beadlocks do I need? The inner are larger than the outer and there's a few choices on DDM. I have these rims:
http://www.davesmotors.com/silverback-rc-mercenary-wheel-set-for-hpi-baja-5b-5t-5sc.html

I am assuming I need these:
http://www.davesmotors.com/Silverba...r-Baja-5b-T-SC-and-Losi-5ive-Blue-090580.html

And these for the inner side of the rim:
http://www.davesmotors.com/Silverback-Beadlock-Rings-INNER-Blue-.html

Is this all correct? If not, please help!
I am waiting to pay until I get word here.

Thanks!

designed2survive

The silverback rims do not come with beadlocks.

The one I had recommended (proline desperados) does come with full set of beadlocks and beadlocks screws.

Hostile beadlocks are cheaper than Silverbacks but they don't offer inners, only outers.

So you'll need:

- Hostile outer beadlocks $7.99 or Silverback outer beadlocks $13

And
Silverback inner beadlocks $13

Lastly if you don't have beadlocks screw make sure you order a set with the proper Allen wrench is needed.

Last edited:

Boomkidd

The silverback rims do not come with beadlocks.

The one I had recommended (proline desperados) does come with full set of beadlocks and beadlocks screws.

Hostile beadlocks are cheaper than Silverbacks but they don't offer inners, only outers.

So you'll need:

- Hostile inner beadlocks $7.99 or Silverback inner beadlocks $13

And

- Silverback outer beadlocks $13

Lastly if you don't have beadlocks screw make sure you order a set with the proper Allen wrench is needed.

Awesome sauce. I really wish DDM had a better layout for the site as far as this stuff is concerned, but its all good. (like, what one will need purchasing rims and maybe links to the stuff would help me and them.)

Ok so, the $13.99 beadlocks come w/ 4, the $7.99 come with 2 so Im going with the cheaper deal. Sort of weird Hostile doesn't offer the right size beadlock rings... But whatever.

Thanks again dude! VERY much appreciated!! Off to purchase this stuff right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts