• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Stock carb rebuild kit.

Bizzer

Just wondering has anyone rebuilt their stock carb? Is there a Walbro rebuild kit that can be used, like the 668 rebuild kit.

Mine just quit on a full rip, never has done it before. The thing only has around 7 Or 8 tanks of fuel through it. It shouldn’t have any dirt in it since I’m running canned VP Racing fuel C10 no ethanol and Castor 927 oil. Plug is good and has good spark when tested, but I can’t even get the engine to fart since it happened. Thinking it must have picked up something In the carb. Fuel pick up and return lines aren’t blocked up. Don’t mind tearing the carb apart, just want to have gaskets and diaphragms here when I do it.

Bizzer

Yeah, I realize that but I would like to tear it down and see what the cause is. That’s just the way I am. I’ll probably go that route down the road in the future. I just picked up a Losi 5ive 2.0 on Friday so play money is drying up.

Long term the 32 cc out of the Losi will go in the Rampage eventually and the Losi will get a DDM engine.

Bizzer

Yeah, I’m going to head down and pick up a kit. I might try seeing if our local small engine shop has genuine Walbro on something in their scrap I can take off and rebuild.

I’m just curious to see i

Bizzer

Thanks, Booker. $18.00 here in the land of the Great White North & overly taxed. Lol.

Bizzer

To be honest I thought about it, but I didn’t. I thought with spark and air it had to be fuel. Just finished pulling the carb apart, got a rebuild kit two days ago. When it was apart couldn’t find anything it was spotless. Regardless, gave it a cleaning good spray of carb cleaner and blew out all the passages with the compressor and reassembled with original parts. The results no change, still not a fart! Rechecked spark and it is there.

I then resorted to a little spray of quick start and still nothing??? To me the spark seems good, not much of a gap on these little plugs. Maybe tomorrow I’ll go back at it and check the coil gap.

Right now I’m a little frustrated and even more puzzled! What am I missing. I haven’t even change the factory carb settings yet to lean it out and I Followed break in procedure on the engine to a tee. The first two tanks were just heat cycles while idling!

Bizzer

The way it died on a full rip to me typically wouldn’t be a fuel problem unless it had a complete blockage. It never stumbled or leaned out by the sound of it before it quit. It did die once earlier in the day when a friend was running it, I wasn’t right there when it happened. I was moving my truck. He thought he might have hit the kill switch, but with the body on there’s no way he could have. It was down to maybe an eighth tank of fuel. I have run it lower than that without issue.

I filled it up and it fired right back up. Definitely puzzled right now!

compirate

Yes, compression first. Then there is the possibility the flywheel key may have sheared, changing your timing.

Bizzer

Compression feels good, going by feel. I can’t really feel any change from Before when pulling it over. My compression tester gauge doesn’t have an adapter for the small plug. I’ve had, used and repaired small two strokes with much less that still ran.

I have a bad feeling Compirate hit the nail on the head, with the key possibly shearing! On the bright side if he hadn’t mentioned that I’d be still scratching my head and going in circles. I’ll check that out when I get a chance to.?

Thanks guys I do appreciate the input. I’ll report back when I find something conclusive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.