• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Steering servo dead already :(

vpalace

So I ran my first tank on my XT on Thursday for break in, about 30 minutes. It was getting chilly so I decided to pack it up and start again the next day.

Yesterday, my birthday, took it out to run another tank. Filled it up, turned on the electronics, and I noticed the steering was twitching a little. Started the truck, and drove it half throttle. After 4 minutes, my tight turns were real wide and only to the right. Brought it back in and the steering was going nuts, then went off. Changed batteries, nothing. Charged original battery, nothing. I switched servos to opposite channels to eliminate the rx as a problem. Throttle still worked on either channel, steering worked on none.

I've had this truck for a week, and have run it 34 minutes and have already had a failure. I am beyond pissed at this point. Contacted the store where I bought it and he was very helpful with getting me a form to fill out for warranty. An upgraded servo isn't in the budget right now. This was a bday present for me and now it sits in the trunk of my car, dead until Redcat decides to contact me and send me another. I even called them and only got a machine, which no one called me back.

Never had an issue with my HPI or Traxxas vehicles and now I am slightly regretting getting this truck. I know its frustrating and this is the nature of the hobby, but jeez, 34 minutes???

Anyone had this issue?

I've read to upgrade the throttle servo too before that fails. Would a standard Futaba 3003 or something work?

RampageCrazy26cc

i know how you feel,every thing went out on mine,

rx, both steering servos,and a battery.only thing was good was the throttle servo.

so i bought a traxxas 2.4ghz rx and a new steering servo and havent had a problem yet.

vpalace

I'm a out to box it up and ship it back. I didn't spend all this money only to have to put a few hundred more into it after running it for half an hour.

Sergio

i have to tell you must of the people that have the xb/xt replace bearing holders front and rear and throtle and stearing servos and i think the gear plate to make a solid truck but if you are not into that and you can send it back thats a good thing

vpalace

I'm all a out upgrading and replacing parts, but not so quickly. It has t even been broken in and it's broke??

G

vpalace said:
I'm all a out upgrading and replacing parts, but not so quickly. It has t even been broken in and it's broke??
It happens. The 3x more expensive 5ive also needs servo upgrades out of the box. Yes 5th scale is big bucks and should be taken into consideration when making a purchase. Any 5th scale usually gets a good $1000 in upgrades to make it more durable. The great thing about the Redcats is you are already $1000 less with the platform than some of the others. :)

BertR

It's a bummer tha you are having issues so soon.if you don't set the end points you will kill the servo. In like me I have. Even running the stock stearing servo for over a year with no probs. I had a hitec throttle servo go to shit in 5 runs and everybody said the are the best but the stocker out lived the name brand.

G

Anyone had this issue?
I had one go bad just doing a heat cycle. It's not worth getting a warranty on it. The servos aren't worth the headache. It will happen again with that servo. Just upgrade and be done with it.

G

BertR said:
It's a bummer tha you are having issues so soon.if you don't set the end points you will kill the servo. In like me I have. Even running the stock stearing servo for over a year with no probs. I had a hitec throttle servo go to shit in 5 runs and everybody said the are the best but the stocker out lived the name brand.
Throttle or steering?

BertR

Holly cow my post is messed up lol. It was a throttle servo that went on me but the point I was trying to make was that not to give up on redcat because of a bunk servo. And that big name have bunks from Time to time and that's the nature of the beast

G

Agreed, I have had a 645 go bad. The 5645 seems smoother and quieter. You really can't get away using the cheap servos in these 30+ lb. rigs.

rcgasser

vpalace said:
It happens to all brands its part of the hobby upgrading I have had servo go out pull cord broke and the receiver went bad all on the first heat cycle that just the way it goes in this hobby. As rcdad stated 1/5 scale is a big money hobby and should never be seen as you spent X amount on the truck and that's it now I am just going to run and have fun things will go bad sooner or later its just upgrade and be done with it.

fattyp64

I agree with these guys. Before I bought my met I went through this forum front to back. Before I even started it I did all the recommended upgrades.. after sinking all that extra money in it, I still am having some other issues. You get that will all 5th scale. My Baja has already needed some upgrading. But when its working, there's nothing better than that ddm pipe screaming..

oldman1964

i was 15 min into break-in and lost the left steering servo but its all good, i did alot of reseach on the MT before i bought it and figured it has gonna happen sooner or later

vpalace

What is a good, not break the bank, throttle and steering servo?

rcgasser

vpalace said:
What is a good, not break the bank, throttle and steering servo?
The not break the bank thought is just going to have you replacing again because you bought cheap upgrade to a good servo pay the price for it then you will not have to worry about that part again.

Dreggsta

i'm in the same boat as you. i'm totally new to this stuff. seems like hitec & savox are the choices. i've looked at solar, hd & xq. the xq's seem nice & has good reviews on youtube & mixed on some forums. the xq is only like $23 cheaper than the savox. might as well go w/the savox i guess.

G

For the throttle servo either the Hitec 645 or 5645. I have both and the 5645 is much smoother. DDM will give a 5% disc if you use HBF for a coupon code.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts