• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Steering post problem?

ChuenouXiao

I don't think this is normal... anything I can do to prevent this? What do I need to get to replace this? This is probably why my steering sucks! Just found out about it today....

Last edited by a moderator:

Deluge

That's the servo saver. It's basically a shock absorber. It's supposed to slide up against the spring under extreme force. If your steering sucks, tighten the thumb nut that's on top of the spring. Don't lock it down, though. Tight enough to improve steering response, but with enough play to protect the servo.

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
That's the servo saver. It's basically a shock absorber. It's supposed to slide up against the spring under extreme force. If your steering sucks, tighten the thumb nut that's on top of the spring. Don't lock it down, though. Tight enough to improve steering response, but with enough play to protect the servo.
Is that a crack deluge?

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
Those are two separate pieces.
So its not a crack huh Rcdad? Deluge said tighten it... meaning bring the ring on top of the spring closer to compress the spring right? I believe I can use my hand to twist the ring?

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
Is that a crack deluge?
It's not a crack, it's supposed to be there. Let's say your front wheel swipes a tree. When it hits, that top piece is supposed to push up against the spring and absorb the impact, which allows your servo to live long and prosper.

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
So its not a crack huh Rcdad? Deluge said tighten it... meaning bring the ring on top of the spring closer to compress the spring right? I believe I can use my hand to twist the ring?
Yes, that's what I mean. You can use your hand, or some needle nose pliers. Whatever works.

krashkrieg

Contributor
I tried to explain this to you in a thread about a month ago.....tightening your servo saver nut when you have a stronger servo

ChuenouXiao

krashkrieg said:
I tried to explain this to you in a thread about a month ago.....tightening your servo saver nut when you have a stronger servo,
Yes.... i did remember... but wasn't clear that's all :D I greatly appreciate your help Krashkrieg and Deluge and RCdad! Including anyone here giving their two cent. Let me get a new head and will try to start my engine, then I will also tighten the steering post saver knob. :D Will get back to you guys :D

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
Yes, that's what I mean. You can use your hand, or some needle nose pliers. Whatever works.
Oh... do I have to disassemble the front to turn the knob? Or can I just twist it from the side? Just curious... don't want to break anything.

G

You only need to tighten it up if your steering is sloppy. Yes just tighten it from the side.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
You only need to tighten it up if your steering is sloppy. Yes just tighten it from the side.
My brother in laws XB turns on a dime. His is stock.... mine is stock too... but it's turn radius is three time worst then his. I may have to tighten it....

krashkrieg

Contributor
ChuenouXiao said:
My brother in laws XB turns on a dime. His is stock.... mine is stock too... but it's turn radius is three time worst then his. I may have to tighten it....
Yes, I'm pretty sure from the old thread, you did install a 5755, now you have to tighten the servo saver nut. you will need a pliers, not doable by hand really.

Or if you are still stock servo and it's just a radius issue, you may need to adjust the EPA (end point adjustment) on your radio so the tires turn more left and right

G

Just another thought on your steering.....

Has your brother changed his dif fluid? A lighter weight in the front lets the wheels spin at different speeds easier, which can tighten up the turning radius. To light however, will compromise traction. A lot of guys will run a little lighter weight fluid in the front.

bigfol

I just pulled apart a front diff stripped from a new xbe, the fluid is very sticky/heavy, I'm going to try 3000 weight diff fluid in it to see if it improves the steering radius, when approaching a corner at speed the ability to turn into that corner and come out of it without taking to wide is lacking somewhat imo. Putting some heavier weight shock fuild in the fronts has noticably improved the cornering.......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts