• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Starting issues

hardrock

Bought XT used...was running fine with fuel that was left in it. I mixed 25:1 and it started no problem. I couldnt drive much because of battery cover missing. So a couple days later i tried to start and got nothing. Took it to a friend we pulled the plug and didnt see spark so we ordered an ignition coil. Coil arrived we put it in started on first pull. Took it home it started easilt when i got home.. again didnt run it long. Yesterday after making a battery cover out of cardboard, i took it to the park. Pulled it out and no pop at at all...needles are set to factory..my mixture is 25:1. The guy who had it just told me he ran 32:1. Will that difference prevent starting?

G-Man

Changing the fuel to oil ratio won't make it not start I wouldn't think. It may fowl the plug easier being more rich, but should run. So does it have spark now with the new coil? Gapped correctly to the flywheel? Is the plug getting wet? I use 25:1 ratio BTW works well

Phill

Changing the fuel to oil ratio won't make it not start I wouldn't think. It may fowl the plug easier being more rich, but should run. So does it have spark now with the new coil? Gapped correctly to the flywheel? Is the plug getting wet? I use 25:1 ratio BTW works well

I went to 27.5:1 (easy to do with metric) just to see what difference it would make.
Now running it all the time - works well.
I don't think I'd risk 32

hardrock

Plug is wet.
Was running 3 days ago after new coil on first pull.
What exactly do you mean by gapped correctly to flywheel? It was hard to get on without it hitting flywheel but it wasnt touching. Thanx for replying.

Phill

Plug is wet.
What exactly do you mean by gapped correctly to flywheel? It was hard to get on without it hitting flywheel but it wasnt touching. Thanx for replying.

Loosen the coil then insert a business card between the coil and flywheel the retighten coil.
That will give you the correct gap for the coil to work.
If the plug is wet you probably flooded it by continually pulling on the cord.
Only ever give it 2 pulls with the choke on then turn it off and pull without it regardless of whether it pops or not.

G-Man

Ya again @Phill hit the nail on the head!! A regular business card is the proper thickness gap for the coil to flywheel. Make sure to loctite the screws and don't forget the little ceramic spacers that go between the coil and head

hardrock

Plug is wet.
What exactly do you mean by gapped correctly to flywheel? It was hard to get on without it hitting flywheel but it wasnt touching.
Loosen the coil then insert a business card between the coil and flywheel the retighten coil.
That will give you the correct gap for the coil to work.
If the plug is wet you probably flooded it by continually pulling on the cord.
Only ever give it 2 pulls with the choke on then turn it off and pull without it regardless of whether it pops or not.

Are the coils normally difficult to gap? Caught hell getting a gap at all. I will take a look. Maybe its too close. Exactly what does the gap do?

Phill

Are the coils normally difficult to gap? Caught hell getting a gap at all. I will take a look. Maybe its too close. Exactly what does the gap do?

If the gap is out you won't get the right spark.

Phill

Ya again @Phill hit the nail on the head!! A regular business card is the proper thickness gap for the coil to flywheel. Make sure to loctite the screws and don't forget the little ceramic spacers that go between the coil and head

I don't have any ceramic spacers on the G290??
I broke one of the coil bolts about 2 yrs ago so I put it back together with 1 bolt and glued the coil to the head with red Loctite and it's still there. (fingers crossed)

G-Man

I don't have any ceramic spacers on the G290??
I broke one of the coil bolts about 2 yrs ago so I put it back together with 1 bolt and glued the coil to the head with red Loctite and it's still there. (fingers crossed)
Every engine I have touched HY, CY, or Zenoah have had a spacer behind the coil where the two screws mount it to the head. Otherwise the coil would not be lined up with the magnet on the flywheel. Not sure if they are used for non-conductive purposes too or not. Here is the Zenoah version I'm talking about
http://www.davesmotors.com/zenoah-126071261-1260-71261-ignition-coil-spacer-set.html

Phill

Every engine I have touched HY, CY, or Zenoah have had a spacer behind the coil where the two screws mount it to the head. Otherwise the coil would not be lined up with the magnet on the flywheel. Not sure if they are used for non-conductive purposes too or not. Here is the Zenoah version I'm talking about
http://www.davesmotors.com/zenoah-126071261-1260-71261-ignition-coil-spacer-set.html

First time I've seen em.
My Zen doesn't have em.
I'll have to check the old CY 30.5 I have laying in the shed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts