• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Spektrum overheats with 1/5 scale?

hamster huey

I have a 5B and Rampage w/Futaba 3PK+spektrum module. The steering + throttle servos bypass the receiver and get power straight from the battery so the servos only receive signal NOT power from the receiver this way. On both vehicles after 8-12 minutes the receiver gets very hot and starts going into failsafe for short burst until the car is undriveable. I have confirmed the receiver is over heating by taking the lids off of the receiver boxes on both vehicles and touching the receivers to sample temps. The receiver boxes are cool though so I don't believe the heat is from an external source. I have tried both receivers in my t4 and slash and neither over heats (even after 1 hour of driving) of failsafes in these vehicles therefore I believe the spektrum receivers just need fresh air for proper cooling. Futaba has had problems with their 2.4 ghz receivers overheating but I did not know about spektrum. I am considering putting a small heatsink on the spektrum Rx case and putting 2 fans in the lids of my radio baoxes- one to bring in fresh cool air and one to suck out hot air. Can anyone recommend another 2.4ghz they have actually tried on the rampage or baja with good results? I know FM works as that is what I run now but I love the added security of 2.4ghz.

lumax

If you are using Y adapter on your servo the voltage is going straight to the servo but still going through the receiver to the servo... This receiver might have some kind of weird regulator or (BEC) inside, so the receiver will try to dissipate this excess voltage in heating (from 6 to 4.8 V)

Just try to plug your servo straight to the receiver and have a road test

or

you might also unplug the red wire on the Y (on the receiver plug of the Y)

and see what happen

Last edited by a moderator:

hamster huey

In regards to the "Y" suggestion there are no power wires (black or red) at all going from the receiver to the servos. The ONLY wire going from the receiver to servos is one yellow to each servo. Yes I also tried using the receiver normally with the servo power wires plugged into the receiver and both receivers (5b and Rampage) still overheat. I have also tested voltage at the battery and at the receiver with and without load and it checked out so low voltage is not kicking the failsafe. The failsafe only comes on when it gets hot and only for a blip like 1-3 seconds. The spektrum does NOT have a BEC so I don't know what the deal is. Seeing how the problem is the same in 2 different vehicles and it does it with the servo power connected only to the battery OR only to the receiver I think the only thing common between the two that would let it build heat is the sealed battery boxes (like the same problem as futaba ghz?). The same receivers work with my 1/10 great. I am considering running with no battery box lid just to see if the receiver runs cool and does not trip the failsafe. Also the exact same setup (servos getting power from battery only) with the receiver swapped for a traxxas tq2 am or a futaba 3pm fm works absolutely perfect!

lumax

Ok, I see

But it's quite a bit strange, spektrum didn't correct this overheat issue

while most of the today's RC car and truck use sealed receiver box ?

Than convince me not buy a spektrum radio system !

hamster huey

lumax said:
Ok, I see
But it's quite a bit strange, spektrum didn't correct this overheat issue

while most of the today's RC car and truck use sealed receiver box ?

Than convince me not buy a spektrum radio system !
I am not trying to change your opinion of spektrum just trying to find out whats wrong. Is anyone aware of any Spektrum overheat problems or is it just me? Thats what I am curious about. How can it be just me? Check out the reviews of the spektrum DX3R at Amainhobbies.com for something interesting. The more common issues with spektrum receivers on other forums online seems to be with binding, losing bind, and just plain quitting working, DX3R range issues, DX3R random erratic display. I and two of my friends had different problems with spektrum but we all have different applications so we find different weak spots. All 3 of us are very dissappointed. I have been checking out the Nomadios. I like futaba but I am scared of all the overheat horror stories. Amainhobbies.com has some very good prices on the Noamadios. Does your nomadio overheat? I like to drive one full tank at a time so 30+ minutes straight and when summer comes here the air temperature will be over 100 so it really tests the rcs.

DemonRC

I've ditched my Speks a long time ago for a 3pk. I run it with my Baja, Rampage, Losi Eight, Losi DT, my Slash, and my boat. I've never had a problem with the radio or any of the receivers.

cable97526

I run nothing but spectrum in all my rigs including my slash with a sealed cover and I have not had an overheat issue. I would be one for trading someone receivers and trying another one to see if it corrects the problem.

hamster huey

I have 5 spektrum receivers so I have 3 more to try out. And all 5 work in my other vehicles so I will use them there. I ordered an AIRTRONICS MX3FG FHSS 2 system last weekend for $160 shipped from tower. The original AIRTRONICS FHSS was short lived and I figured FHSS 2 is supposed to have super response time and improved range so Ill try it. I love Futaba the best but there are confirmed cases of their 2.4ghz receivers overheating and their own website has a post to see if your 6EX, 7C, or TM-7 2.4ghz is effected by the rare ID code problem yet their website 2.4gigahertz.com posts this:

Futaba gets it right the first time.

Futaba takes great pride in making sure that every new product performs flawlessly before it's offered to our customers. Others hesitate to invest so much effort in testing. Some may even consider their "first run" products a step in the process of working out bugs, using feedback from the earliest buyers. Futaba is different. When you choose a Futaba 2.4GHz FASST radio system or module/receiver set, you've selected a fully tested, well-engineered, totally reliable product – one that's absolutely ready to give demanding R/C hobbyists the performance they expect. .

Its generally escepted that manufacturers make running changes to improve products but they say they got it right the first time when they did not......that does not give me confidence!

Alot of people are worried that their brand new 4pk systems (and 3pk/3pm) are going to fail or failsafe in the summer heat. Time will tell. Let someone else see if the problems are fixed then I will go back to Futaba for 2.4ghz.

kryptonite

really? i havent heard of any futaba recievers over heating, but these spectrum threads go from forum to forum with all kinds of issues like binding problems and losing the bind as well as 50yd range and over heating issues. wish i could help ya, but ive only had futaba's.. hopefully you get it sorted. hate to see an rc'er down:)

pipeous

been running spektrum since they came out. only issue I ever had was glitching at this one soccer field but every dsm seems to glitch there... must be a lot of 2.4 stuff running in that neighborhood.

a good friend of mine is a castle tech and I'll send him this link. he fixes all my electronics when I blow fets and stuff, and has designed his own dsm system, lap counting, drag trees and such

kryptonite

i don't need to know a guy like that. i just run futaba. and if your glitching with a 2.4, their is a problem. plain and simple

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts