• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

(Some type of) Plastic Roll Cage

krashkrieg

Contributor
I started a new thread since several members have been talking about them loading up ScareMongers rebuild thread...

Maybe GRF can post his pics here...

Obssesing over the type of plastic to use, I've been looking over McMaster-Carr website....http://www.mcmaster.com/#

I want to throw out some questions...

Can anyone tell me which is better for this application (of roll cages)

Nylon 6/6 vs. Delrin vs PVC? Hamster, which did you order?

The nylon is a little harder with a greater tensile strength and wider operating temps.

Delrin is less resistant to moisture and chemicals...But PVC rod has the best impact strength with less tensile stregth

Unfortunately the way their site is designed I cannot link directly to the item

but if you put in the number in their search you can read about them.

PVC part # 87025K29 - 1.04 / ft

Delrin part # 8576K13 - .89 / ft

Nylon part # 8538K16 - .64 / ft

Thoughts from the masses?...Seems PVC with the better impact strength may be the best although the most expensive?

Also never heard of anyone using PVC to 'heat bend' so I'm not sure.

chevy

go with the nylon i think the pvc is more ridgid and wont flex like nylon it just crack if u flip. don't get me wrong pvc is strong but it don't bend and flex like nylon,Nice project krash I think the plastic cage you could try diffrent widths.

Last edited by a moderator:

hamster huey

I got my 6/6 yesterday evening in 1/2". Im going to start on it today w/ the heat gun. I also got 6/6 in 3/8" for my 1/10 and 1/8 scales. Im going to check out the hardware store in a few minutes for screws and washers.

First impression is its strong and seems flexible enough to bend w/ the heat gun. Ill post pics as I go along.

grf

plastic is easier lighter and bash proof that is for sure.

it acts like a spring that absorbs the energy of the impact.

everything within limits of course and in comparison with metal.

here are some photos of what i use. nothing fancy but it does the job for me very well.

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

i tried not threading but it was impossible to put the screws in so threading it was. i used the stock screws where i could and the rest was 4mm.

grf

i used nylon as this is what was given to me. i do not think there is an issue with the material as i have abused the car and nothing happened to it. it is so good not to bother with bolts coming off or bending something.

pvc is to fragile for the application i think

delrin is famous for the bearing properties so i would not go that path either.

i think rpm arms are made of nylon so that must say something.

and the black lines you can see where the bolts are are just marking nothing else.

krashkrieg

Contributor
Very Nice, thanks for the input...

Seems like Nylon is the way to go over the others...I'm excited to work with something that's easier than metal....

Hamster how many feet you think's needed for the Ramp?

Can't wait to see your pics...

hamster huey

Im not sure how many feet because I don't know what shape Im going to make or if I want to put lexan panels on it to make it my body as well. I ordered 15ft to start with. I like scaremongers yellow truck and chevys cage and also the short course look. I was hoping to enclose the wheels in wheel wells maybe? If I need more later Ill order it then. Its winter so Im not missing any drive time waiting on parts:)

hamster huey

I started building it and realized my cage risers work great. After an hour of thinking and starting on bending/building etc. I think Im wasting my time on this one. The cage risers I made already stiffen the cage so I can land on it w/o smashing the plug. Id rather not spend a bunch of time just to have a heavier more stylish cage. Im going to use the nyolon instead to make cages for my 1/8s cause they don't have any.

rob64n

Contributor
I was thinkin nylon would be great choice for flexibility the delrin may not bend to easy and the only thing I've used delrin for was diff lockers, it's easy to machine and it does make awesome lockers for diffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts