• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Single Steering Servo

G-Man

What's up guys. I have modded my MT to single servo steering awhile back. Initially I used the Spektrum s9020 at 7.4v. After stripping the top gearset three times, I finally got annoyed enough to try something new to me in this MT. I have tried probably four different combinations now. So I have the Hitec d845wp in there now still using 7.4v. Guess I will find out if it is my solution. I have that d845wp in my Dunerunner for over a year now still works great. Any input on what you guys use appreciated! BTW that servo is in the aluminum Futaba mount Redcat offers Savox 1210 throttle servo, LRP 2s lipo rx, Futaba radio system 20180616_175233.jpg 20180616_165106.jpg

Phill

View attachment 14189 There is with the washers to shim it up some. Probably could have found something a little better for a cleaner look

I'm undecided whether or not to go Lipo.
I'm running a Futaba radio system that will take the 7.4 OK.
I know my 6v pack won't run that servo for long and good 6v servos are hard to find.
I haven't tried my waterproof one yet but will get to it one day!

Last edited:

Dusty

I’m still running factory electronics but it’s time to do a servo swap . Not do to choice but nessity . The streering servo under the battery box has a hitch in its step lol ?. It still works for now but 1 more good bashing and I’m sure it’ll be wasted . Any good recommendations that don’t require a lipo upgrade and a lot of modifications or cost an arm & a leg .

Dusty

I bought a waterproof version of the stocker but can't remember where I got it.
It popped up in an ad somewhere and was only $40 or so.
Haven't tried it yet as my factory one is still working after 5 years.
Found it
https://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au/hsp-new-servo-30kg-waterproof.html

Thanks for the info phill . I’ll look that up state side .
I was hitting it pretty hard in some rough terrain after the breakin on my new motor & must have lost a few teeth on a gear .

G-Man

I’m still running factory electronics but it’s time to do a servo swap . Not do to choice but nessity . The streering servo under the battery box has a hitch in its step lol ?. It still works for now but 1 more good bashing and I’m sure it’ll be wasted . Any good recommendations that don’t require a lipo upgrade and a lot of modifications or cost an arm & a leg .
Both of those servos in the pic above will work at 6v just not as strong.

pfrederi1

Let me know how that works out. I bought a S9020 because I heard everyone raving on how good it was on this site. It broke after my first outing. AM Hobbies gave me the run around said they dntr cover it and i need to buy a new gear set. I havent installed it yet. Didnt want to mess up the install as Ive never done it. Does anyone know if its just a direct replacement or any special instructions replacing the gear top set for the s9020???

Love to hear how the D845 running for you. Is it as powerful as the S9020? better?

Thx

G-Man

Let me know how that works out. I bought a S9020 because I heard everyone raving on how good it was on this site. It broke after my first outing. AM Hobbies gave me the run around said they dntr cover it and i need to buy a new gear set. I havent installed it yet. Didnt want to mess up the install as Ive never done it. Does anyone know if its just a direct replacement or any special instructions replacing the gear top set for the s9020???

Love to hear how the D845 running for you. Is it as powerful as the S9020? better?

Thx
It is really simple to replace the top gearset on the s9020. The rebuild kit is about 25 bucks. I have done it twice, now just stripped another set. I have a rebuild kit, but got frustrated and decided to try the Hitec d845wp. Have yet to put it on the ground yet for testing. Been raining and flooding here. Hopefully soon

Dusty

1530141045412.png
Has anyone heard of or tried these ? Can’t seem to find a state side vendor though !

G-Man

View attachment 14204
Has anyone heard of or tried these ? Can’t seem to find a state side vendor though !
I have heard of them. The one US seller preorder them. Two versions, one is higher speed the other is higher torque. All he could get was the lower torque ones. It just seemed like a hassle to even buy them, so I could only imagine warranty if something happened to it. So I try to stay State side.

Dusty

I have heard of them. The one US seller preorder them. Two versions, one is higher speed the other is higher torque. All he could get was the lower torque ones. It just seemed like a hassle to even buy them, so I could only imagine warranty if something happened to it. So I try to stay State side.

Yeah man , I been chatting with him on FB . They seam to be well made and have some awesome features in their kill switch’s . They can be ordered direct but cost , time & shipping from Australia! Do those features outway the rest ...lol

G-Man

Well I got a chance to try out the Hitec d845wp servo today. It was very hot out, but it hung in there. Here is a video of it's first use. I had a pretty bad rollover in this video, the servo held up very well. I am using a 2s lipo receiver pack with this servo.

pfrederi1

Hey G-Man Im having trouble with this (POS) "piece of s&%$" steering servo s9020 in my MT PRO. Brand new and its the second time its broke after buying and replacing the gear top replacement. The gear keeps breaking teeth. Normal driving and bashing no jumping. Im thinking maybe the single servo setup is too much maybe??? Even with this "strong" servo.

Have you had better luck with the HiTec d845wp ?? And if I went this route will i need two servos or just the one d845wp will work??

Im not sure why the s9020 at twice the price keeps breaking. smh. Im going to see if Horizon will replace or see what they can do. Im done with this servo. Any help appreciated.

Thx

G-Man

Hey G-Man Im having trouble with this (POS) "piece of s&%$" steering servo s9020 in my MT PRO. Brand new and its the second time its broke after buying and replacing the gear top replacement. The gear keeps breaking teeth. Normal driving and bashing no jumping. Im thinking maybe the single servo setup is too much maybe??? Even with this "strong" servo.

Have you had better luck with the HiTec d845wp ?? And if I went this route will i need two servos or just the one d845wp will work??

Im not sure why the s9020 at twice the price keeps breaking. smh. Im going to see if Horizon will replace or see what they can do. Im done with this servo. Any help appreciated.

Thx
I had the Spektrum s9020 in mine as a single servo setup for about 8 months. One too many kartwheels broke the gear teeth. I replaced the top gearset, used it for two more months and it stripped again. I rebuilt it once more and it did it again a month later. So I gave up and went to the Hitec d845wp. I am using it as a single servo setup. It seems great so far. Although so did the 9020 for 8 months. I don't know the d845wp seems stronger. I have it in two other 5th scales and works great. I am also using a 2s lipo receiver battery to power it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online